Do we really 'become' atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2012, 05:06 AM
Do we really 'become' atheists?
Just an over caffeinated thought I had this morning. I am always reading about or seeing videos showing how people suddenly find themselves 'becoming' an atheist.

You have probably all heard the same quotes along the lines of

'...I read the bible and slowly found myself becoming an atheist'
'...I couldn't reconcile what I knew to be true with what I had been taught, so I became an atheist'
'...the scientific explanations made more sense than the religious ones, and I found myself becoming more and more atheistic'

Would it not be truer to say that we became less and less religious, rather than becoming more atheistic? We had our shells peeled away until all that was left was an absence of belief, which we felt no need to replace.

It strikes me that the more we talk about becoming atheists, the more fuel we add to the the fire among those who claim that atheism is a dogma too.

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PeterKA's post
11-10-2012, 05:23 AM
RE: Do we really 'become' atheists?
Yes and no. It does happen, but it's not an abrupt "event". It's a process. In Systems Theory, it's called "graceful degradation".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Quote:Would it not be truer to say that we became less and less religious, rather than becoming more atheistic?

Glass half full/Glass half empty.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
11-10-2012, 05:36 AM
(11-10-2012 05:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Would it not be truer to say that we became less and less religious, rather than becoming more atheistic?

Glass half full/Glass half empty.

That glass is half drank damn it!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
11-10-2012, 05:50 AM
I is born an atheist.

Everyone is.

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
11-10-2012, 08:46 AM
DLJ has it right.

We aren't born with a belief in anything. We are taught or indoctrinated into the religion of our parents. Atheists unlearn those things usually a bit at a time.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
11-10-2012, 08:51 AM
What DLJ said!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
11-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Being that we're all born without a belief in God (the very definition of Atheism), we are all atheists by default. Later on, we're indoctrinated with various religious/theistic belief systems, which we may or may not renounce somewhere along the line. When that happens, we're basically reverting back to our default - non-belief.

So, in that sense, yes, we do "become" atheists. But, in a technical sense, we become atheists "again" - as we once were.

When it comes down to it, if we possess a belief in God(s), we are not "atheists" by definition. So when we let go of that belief in God(s), we "become" atheists once more.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2012, 09:08 AM
(11-10-2012 09:00 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So, in that sense, yes, we do "become" atheists. But, in a technical sense, we become atheists "again" - as we once were.
So, technically......
If some fundy asks us if we're "saved", we can honestly answer that we're born again?

I like it!

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
11-10-2012, 09:27 AM
(11-10-2012 09:08 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 09:00 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So, in that sense, yes, we do "become" atheists. But, in a technical sense, we become atheists "again" - as we once were.
So, technically......
If some fundy asks us if we're "saved", we can honestly answer that we're born again?

I like it!

Lmao, pretty much. I've actually seen a few shirts that say "Born-again atheist".

I imagine it's a good conversation-starter for those who would ask "How can you be born-again and an atheist?"

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user