Do we really exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Do we really exist?
I have just reassured myself that reality is real, I generally accepted this notion as true, but I have had my doubts about it. I am now sure 100% that this life is indeed real, the cosmos is real, you are real, the stars, the planets and everything else (for the most part) is real.

Has anyone else had trouble dealing with this in the past and or currently?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2013, 01:21 AM
RE: Do we really exist?
(07-02-2013 01:18 AM)Nappa Wrote:  I have just reassured myself that reality is real, I generally accepted this notion as true, but I have had my doubts about it. I am now sure 100% that this life is indeed real, the cosmos is real, you are real, the stars, the planets and everything else (for the most part) is real.

A simple saying

"I think, therefore I am."-Rene Descartes

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
07-02-2013, 01:22 AM
(07-02-2013 01:18 AM)Nappa Wrote:  I have just reassured myself that reality is real, I generally accepted this notion as true, but I have had my doubts about it. I am now sure 100% that this life is indeed real, the cosmos is real, you are real, the stars, the planets and everything else (for the most part) is real.

I'd say it's really impossible to say with absolute certainty, however we have no reason to assume this is not the case.
I was expecting that you to claim we don't know if anything we percieve is real.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 2 users Like Adenosis's post
07-02-2013, 02:02 AM

We might not actually exist, that is possible. We might be AIs in a simulation, a brain in a vat experiencing a hollow reality, maybe we are in something not unlike the Matrix.

All of these are just as possible as our reality.
That fact of the matter is; nobody can truly tell reality from any of those other options.

I make a fair few active assumptions in life, of those few, these are my most prominent:

I exist.

Through simply considering the possibility of my own existence, I feel I can safely assume that I do in fact exist, I may be a brain in a vat, but at least I can 'know' that my active consciousness does exist in some form. This is not unlike Hamata's statement
Quote: "I think, therefore I am."-Rene Descartes

My other assumption is:

My senses are sometimes accurate.

In order to establish the existence of the rest of the universe, I have to make this assumption. Everything I can know is based entirely on my senses, and I cannot say that they are simply accurate, I can recall instances where all of my senses have been wrong at one point or another; a bug on my face which was really just a hair, a creepy man in the shadows which was really just a tree or a cut-out, a woman screaming which was just the call of a night bird and so on. There are just as many instances where my senses were accurate, as such, "sometimes" is a justified assumption, unlike my previous, which was weak, but necessary.

Otherwise there is nothing to think past that point, because everything I receive is through my senses. If they cannot be believed then there is nothing to be believed. It is a dead end, as such, I go on with the assumption.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
07-02-2013, 04:38 AM
I exist. The rest of you are hallucinations brought on by years of solitude.

That's why I do whatever I want. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2013, 05:33 AM
I have reason to assume that I am real, that reality is real and that it all really exists. Even if this were not the case, it would not be possible for me to distinct this virtual reality from what is really there, so it would be irrelevant (at least, to me). The thought that we could be in some sort of Matrix (that perhaps The Matrix as a movie is a practical joke from the machines that are keeping us in this Matrix) has occurred to me but has never really bothered me.
07-02-2013, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 05:58 AM by Luminon.)

What if you don't exist? Let's say there is an evil spirit deciving you, giving you false impression that you exist, feel, think and doubt, while you really don't.
Some smart people have dealt with this problem and not all of them succeeded. For example, Descartes failed. Philosophy is a big deal, I'm glad to see you're interested in it!

Btw: Saying "I just exist" that's cheating. You have to justify why and why you can't not not exist, that's the rules of the philosophic game. The philosophy is concerned with establishing a true, necessary, certain and general knowledge.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
07-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Nazis.

The Holocaust.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
07-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Does it really matter?
Your life will play out either way.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
07-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Of course not! God just had too many tacos at bedtime. Be all gone by tomorrow.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.