Do we really exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 12:34 PM by Adenosis.)
RE: Do we really exist?
(07-02-2013 05:55 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Btw: Saying "I just exist" that's cheating. You have to justify why and why you can't not not exist, that's the rules of the philosophic game. The philosophy is concerned with establishing a true, necessary, certain and general knowledge.

Everyone around me also appears conscious, I'm not going to assume I'm the only one. Since we are all perceiving the same world, I feel it is safe to say we exist. We have no reason to believe we do not. Thus I will proceed to live my life under the assumption that I do. This may not be a philosophically beautiful reason, but it is a rational one.

My biggest problem with the questions "can we trust our senses to give us a accurate picture of reality at all?" and "Do we really exist in the sense we believe, or at all?" is that people will guaranteed be prone to use these as proof for gods existence. One person has already done this on youtube actually. CLICK HERE .

I recommend some people post replies to this tool, and rate him down Big Grin

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2013, 12:38 PM
In the "Creator" movie (with Peter O'Toole) an uneducated but intelligent young woman is invited to a faculty party, where one of the Philosophy Professors tries to impress her with the same question: "How do you know that you exist?"

He reply: "Why don't you assume that you don't and see where that leads you?"

Now she was a real philosopher! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
07-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Do we exist?

Only in the sense that it's relative to now.

However, I've got Morrissey tickets so, for now, I'm going with existence. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
07-02-2013, 01:42 PM
(07-02-2013 01:21 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 01:18 AM)Nappa Wrote:  I have just reassured myself that reality is real, I generally accepted this notion as true, but I have had my doubts about it. I am now sure 100% that this life is indeed real, the cosmos is real, you are real, the stars, the planets and everything else (for the most part) is real.

Has anyone else had trouble dealing with this in the past and or currently?
A simple saying

"I think, therefore I am."-Rene Descartes
Yes, but he had problems regarding mad people and was ambiguous in that regard Hobo .
07-02-2013, 02:06 PM
First define reality, then ask the question.

I think that the persistence of reality is what makes it real, anything else is just as fictitious as it gets. Not because is not possible, it very well might, but because it doesn't stick,. Everything that we call reality gets into us and forces us to live as if it exists. So I say that's what makes reality existent, because it doesn't go away, it gets more and more concrete every time by its own means.

You may say that that's what happens with schizophrenia, but in those cases even reality gets them and anchors them, we call it medicine, but from an other point of view it could be just reality preventing them to drift in their own fantasies.

Persistence, that's what make things real, they just don't go away... that's why annoying people stand out in a crowd, also, they have more reality Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
07-02-2013, 02:30 PM
(07-02-2013 05:55 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Btw: Saying "I just exist" that's cheating. You have to justify why and why you can't not not exist, that's the rules of the philosophic game. The philosophy is concerned with establishing a true, necessary, certain and general knowledge.
If you've a problem with somebodies statement, take it to that person, it tends to help get the message across. Dodgy

Anyway, I think I did a fair job in justifying the assumption that I exist, that is all philosophy is; Assumptions with a sprinkling of bullshit on top to make it look more appetizing. I fail to see why you philosophibull types insist on gussying up all these assumptions into something grander.

Hence: philosobull.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
07-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Well Free... in the classic sense, Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental issues and ideas. Things having to do with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language - pretty much stuff that when ruminated over, can help to shape critical thinking - it relies greatly on rational thought and discussion.

If we didn't have philosophy we wouldn't have science. And THAT would suck big ones. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
07-02-2013, 02:53 PM
(07-02-2013 01:21 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  A simple saying

"I think, therefore I am."-Rene Descartes
I'm gonna beat GirlyMan to it (this time) and say that Descartes was wrong with his good ol' "cogito ergo sum".

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
07-02-2013, 02:58 PM
(07-02-2013 02:45 PM)kim Wrote:  Well Free... in the classic sense, Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental issues and ideas. Things having to do with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language - pretty much stuff that when ruminated over, can help to shape critical thinking - it relies greatly on rational thought and discussion.

If we didn't have philosophy we wouldn't have science. And THAT would suck big ones. Thumbsup

I'm sticking to my guns here.

Early philosophy was necessary in the development of science as a method (which is ironic to me; as far as I am concerned, science has far and away superseded and surpassed it's progenitor.)

I just fail to see a decent reason for it to be valid today in anything aside from gussied up assumptions which seem to be common in this kind of area (Do we exist/what is reality etc. & Why are we here)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Me: Cogito ergo sum.

Other guy: Nu uh, cogito ergo sum.

Confused Laughat