Do we really exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 03:11 PM
RE: Do we really exist?
I read an article recently stating that we should be able to test within a few decades whether or not our universe is being run as a computer simulation. Not sure where the article is, but I'm sure it can be found with a google search.

The really trippy thing would be if we discovered that our universe really IS a simulation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2013, 03:15 PM
(07-02-2013 03:11 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I read an article recently stating that we should be able to test within a few decades whether or not our universe is being run as a computer simulation. Not sure where the article is, but I'm sure it can be found with a google search.

The really trippy thing would be if we discovered that our universe really IS a simulation.

That would probably serve as the final catalyst from my general disinterest to full blown indifference of the entire universe.

No reason to care if we are all just programs in a computer simulation.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
07-02-2013, 03:21 PM
That metaphorical Woo is getting research time when I have to struggle to find a tolerable cup of coffee? Well then, humanity is fucked. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
(07-02-2013 03:21 PM)kim Wrote:  That metaphorical Woo is getting research time when I have to struggle to find a tolerable cup of coffee? Well then, humanity is fucked. Dodgy

I hear some really good coffee is made with Civets.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
07-02-2013, 03:35 PM
(07-02-2013 03:29 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 03:21 PM)kim Wrote:  That metaphorical Woo is getting research time when I have to struggle to find a tolerable cup of coffee? Well then, humanity is fucked. Dodgy
I hear some really good coffee is made with Civets.

Yep - had it. Kind of hate to admit it but it is damn yummy.

Who'd a thunk such a great thing could come from a weasel's ass? Undecided

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-02-2013, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 05:18 PM by Chaos.)
(07-02-2013 03:11 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I read an article recently stating that we should be able to test within a few decades whether or not our universe is being run as a computer simulation. Not sure where the article is, but I'm sure it can be found with a google search.

A simulation of what? A flying computer? Consider

Brain in a vat ?

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
07-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Well I do know that if we do or do not exist, at the very least there are rules or laws by which things operate.

My grandfather being an idealist, meaning that reality is a dream, thought that he could heal the paralyzed side of his body. He'd ask us to prop him up so he could test his healing, to no avail. He died with out any success.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
07-02-2013, 06:59 PM

I presume this is the article you were talking about?

http://news.discovery.com/space/are-we-l...121216.htm

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  does carma reallly have to be supernatural to exist kunoxian drive 13 394 23-01-2014 12:46 PM
Last Post: Im_Ryan
  Does Absolute Truth exist or not? Mike 62 2,470 12-11-2013 03:09 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Does "Humanity" exist? I and I 8 556 30-05-2013 06:57 AM
Last Post: bemore
  The Temptation to Exist - E.M. Cioran PeacefulSkeptic 3 1,035 07-02-2013 06:04 AM
Last Post: Luminon
  By definition, the Christian God cannot exist. TheKetola 17 1,402 07-04-2012 12:22 PM
Last Post: TheKetola