Do we sometimes go too far in Science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 07:10 AM
Do we sometimes go too far in Science?
Read this article today about how scientists used a 3D Printer and DNA from Vincent van Gogh's great great grandson to 3D bioprint his severed ear. Did we really need to do this? If so why? I'm all for discovering new things and doing the impossible but I feel sometimes we should focus more on what would benefit us instead of growing living ears for a dead painter.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2014, 07:46 AM
RE: Do we sometimes go too far in Science?
Possibly a clever way to test it's viability and get some press at the same time.
If they can figure out how to do this with internal organs the advantages would be huge.
[+] 9 users Like pablo's post
04-06-2014, 07:51 AM
It doesn't seem unethical. Think of the possibilities of being able to clone human parts from DNA. Even an ear. Imagine a person who needs an organ transplant and the possibility of someday being able to pop out a kidney or liver or something. No waiting on a donor, just grow one.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
04-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Does seem a bit pointless and lacking in taste, doesn't it? I wonder if there are medical, moral or legal objections to doing something similar to a person living now. There are lots of people who have lost parts of their body. Couldn't they be helped?

Of course, it would make sense to start with "small" and "simple". And if there are objections, using this method on a dead person would probably avoid these.
04-06-2014, 08:04 AM
(04-06-2014 07:46 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  Possibly a clever way to test it's viability and get some press at the same time.
If they can figure out how to do this with internal organs the advantages would be huge.

I'm not against the science behind this but do something that will benefit, try recreating a leg or arm or hand, why an ear?

(04-06-2014 07:51 AM)Logisch Wrote:  It doesn't seem unethical. Think of the possibilities of being able to clone human parts from DNA. Even an ear. Imagine a person who needs an organ transplant and the possibility of someday being able to pop out a kidney or liver or something. No waiting on a donor, just grow one.

Never said it was unethical I just don't understand why do an ear, why not try a hand or something that will benefit people.

(04-06-2014 07:53 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Does seem a bit pointless and lacking in taste, doesn't it? I wonder if there are medical, moral or legal objections to doing something similar to a person living now. There are lots of people who have lost parts of their body. Couldn't they be helped?

Of course, it would make sense to start with "small" and "simple". And if there are objections, using this method on a dead person would probably avoid these.

I just think they are wasting their time with an ear, plenty of other small body parts they could test that would be a lot more beneficial ya know.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-06-2014, 08:21 AM
(04-06-2014 08:04 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 07:46 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  Possibly a clever way to test it's viability and get some press at the same time.

I'm not against the science behind this but do something that will benefit, try recreating a leg or arm or hand, why an ear?

(04-06-2014 07:51 AM)Logisch Wrote:  It doesn't seem unethical. Think of the possibilities of being able to clone human parts from DNA. Even an ear. Imagine a person who needs an organ transplant and the possibility of someday being able to pop out a kidney or liver or something. No waiting on a donor, just grow one.

Never said it was unethical I just don't understand why do an ear, why not try a hand or something that will benefit people.

(04-06-2014 07:53 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Does seem a bit pointless and lacking in taste, doesn't it? I wonder if there are medical, moral or legal objections to doing something similar to a person living now. There are lots of people who have lost parts of their body. Couldn't they be helped?

I just think they are wasting their time with an ear, plenty of other small body parts they could test that would be a lot more beneficial ya know.

My assumption (I'm obviously not a scientist) would be probably the ease of simple tissues instead of complex muscle tissues. Sort of a "Let's see how easy xyz is and take the 50m dash before we go for the 100km."

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
04-06-2014, 08:21 AM
(04-06-2014 08:04 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  

Gotta start simple.
An ear is just skin and cartilage, an arm, leg or hand is much more complex.
There are bones, working muscle, tendons, nerves etc.
Like I said, they are probably testing its viability before moving on to something else.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
04-06-2014, 08:36 AM
(04-06-2014 08:21 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 08:04 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I'm not against the science behind this but do something that will benefit, try recreating a leg or arm or hand, why an ear?

My assumption (I'm obviously not a scientist) would be probably the ease of simple tissues instead of complex muscle tissues. Sort of a "Let's see how easy xyz is and take the 50m dash before we go for the 100km."

Maybe but why van Gogh? If they wanted to really do it for scientific purpose why not just take a random person's DNA and do it. Seems more like a "We do it because we can" type of situation.

(04-06-2014 08:21 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 08:04 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I'm not against the science behind this but do something that will benefit, try recreating a leg or arm or hand, why an ear?

Gotta start simple.
An ear is just skin and cartilage, an arm, leg or hand is much more complex.
There are bones, working muscle, tendons, nerves etc.
Like I said, they are probably testing its viability before moving on to something else.

Probably.

04-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Van Gogh because it is most likely what got them in the news article that you posted.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
04-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Theists often complain about scientists playing God.

They're just jealous because they can't play God themselves.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post