Do we sometimes go too far in Science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 10:41 AM
RE: Do we sometimes go too far in Science?
(04-06-2014 10:37 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 08:48 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Theists often complain about scientists playing God.

They're just jealous because they can't play God themselves.

They also forget that there would be no need for us to play god if their god played god.

Actually it shouldn't be called "Playing god" if we can do it without supernatural events, and if it was "Playing god" then that means the actions are only limited to god himself. It's called "Playing scientists because we can do this on a regular basis and if you can't demonstrate it's freaking wrong. We can do anything in science fool.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2014, 10:46 AM
(04-06-2014 10:37 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  The great thing about being a scientist is that anyone can be one, without credentials.

Ummm, Degrees? You can't be a real scientist without one. You can go in your basement and mix chemicals but real scientists do need credentials.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-06-2014, 10:48 AM
(04-06-2014 10:32 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 10:00 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  The research requires funding, many times in the form of grants.
They need to do something simple so, an ear is simple. Lets do an ear.
They need to get noticed for their work to help them get funding for future more complex work.
If they make an ear from someone who is famous for cutting off their ear (among other things) the more likely it will get noticed and, the better their chances of someone seeing the article about it and giving them money.
This has been repeated several times upthread, why don't you get it? Huh

I get it Facepalm . But being able to create a living ear is big news of itself. They do not need to do someone famous to get peoples attention. Just publish papers of the results.

I don't think you do.
Why are we talking about it right now?
People have very short attention spans these days, scientists need something to grab attention from the general public.
Using Van Gogh moves the research from peer review journals to more mainstream media, thus more widespread attention.
04-06-2014, 10:54 AM
(04-06-2014 10:46 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 10:37 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  The great thing about being a scientist is that anyone can be one, without credentials.

Ummm, Degrees? You can't be a real scientist without one. You can go in your basement and mix chemicals but real scientists do need credentials.
Yes you can. You can be a "Citizen scientist" but you're still a real one. All you need to do is follow the scientific method, test something, and you are a real scientist. You may not be a "respected" scientist, but you can still be a "real scientist."

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
04-06-2014, 10:56 AM
(04-06-2014 10:48 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 10:32 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I get it Facepalm . But being able to create a living ear is big news of itself. They do not need to do someone famous to get peoples attention. Just publish papers of the results.

I don't think you do.
People have very short attention spans these days, scientists need something to grab attention from the general public.
Using Van Gogh moves the research from peer review journals to more mainstream media, thus more widespread attention.

I have my opinion, you have yours and I respect that. I think the whole Van Gogh thing was unnecessary. When they discover a cure for cancer they probably won't say it came from Chuck Norris's blood because they won't need to because it will be a big breakthrough. Being able to Bioprint 3D ears is a big breakthrough, there isn't need to take the extra effort to regrow Van Gogh's ears just to get it in the news faster. Thats my opinion.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Re: RE: Do we sometimes go too far in Science?
(04-06-2014 10:56 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 10:48 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  I don't think you do.

I have my opinion, you have yours and I respect that. I think the whole Van Gogh thing was unnecessary. When they discover a cure for cancer they probably won't say it came from Chuck Norris's blood because they won't need to because it will be a big breakthrough. Being able to Bioprint 3D ears is a big breakthrough, there isn't need to take the extra effort to regrow Van Gogh's ears just to get it in the news faster. Thats my opinion.

Do you have a Reason or evidence for holding the position. It's fine, I don't care if you have an opinion but it bounces from you as baseless and naive.

Were there various bioprinting articles enthralling you or other mass groups of people prior to this?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
04-06-2014, 11:02 AM
An ear,because it's relatively easy(compared to organs,limbs,etc).
Van gogh, because they will recieve more publicity. The more publicity,the more likely the chance of research funding in the form of grants

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 2 users Like Lightvader's post
04-06-2014, 11:04 AM
(04-06-2014 10:56 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I have my opinion, you have yours and I respect that. I think the whole Van Gogh thing was unnecessary. When they discover a cure for cancer they probably won't say it came from Chuck Norris's blood because they won't need to because it will be a big breakthrough. Being able to Bioprint 3D ears is a big breakthrough, there isn't need to take the extra effort to regrow Van Gogh's ears just to get it in the news faster. Thats my opinion.

But that's a completely ignorant opinion.

I don't mean that dismissively or judgementally, but I do mean that you literally can't have the information necessary to make that call. Can you quantify the value of the additional publicity? You'd have to, to say whether it was "necessary" or "worth it"...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
04-06-2014, 11:06 AM
(04-06-2014 11:02 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 10:56 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I have my opinion, you have yours and I respect that. I think the whole Van Gogh thing was unnecessary. When they discover a cure for cancer they probably won't say it came from Chuck Norris's blood because they won't need to because it will be a big breakthrough. Being able to Bioprint 3D ears is a big breakthrough, there isn't need to take the extra effort to regrow Van Gogh's ears just to get it in the news faster. Thats my opinion.

Do you have a Reason or evidence for holding the position. It's fine, I don't care if you have an opinion but it bounces from you as baseless and naive.

Were there various bioprinting articles enthralling you or other mass groups of people prior to this?

Heres a CNN Article on BioPrinting I read.

3D printed Blood Vessels

04-06-2014, 11:11 AM
(04-06-2014 11:04 AM)cjlr Wrote:  

But that's a completely ignorant opinion.

I don't mean that dismissively or judgementally, but I do mean that you literally can't have the information necessary to make that call. Can you quantify the value of the additional publicity? You'd have to, to say whether it was "necessary" or "worth it"...

I don't need "information" to know that being able to grow human organs is big news. It's been a hot topic for years and even has been in TV and Film.