Do we sometimes go too far in Science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 11:20 AM by ClydeLee.)
Re: RE: Do we sometimes go too far in Science?
(04-06-2014 11:11 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 11:04 AM)cjlr Wrote:  But that's a completely ignorant opinion.

I don't mean that dismissively or judgementally, but I do mean that you literally can't have the information necessary to make that call. Can you quantify the value of the additional publicity? You'd have to, to say whether it was "necessary" or "worth it"...

I don't need "information" to know that being able to grow human organs is big news. It's been a hot topic for years and even has been in TV and Film.

Yes.. But you seem to not grasp the importance of how money can be wisely generated.

I actually find the blood vessel case far more exciting and impressive. They're structures much more significant than a pile of fleshy material that makes an ear.

You seem to be in done traditionalist state is viewing science as something that should be held up with degrees and strictly logical with no appeals to public culture, or that's how these positions come across.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2014, 11:20 AM
RE: Do we sometimes go too far in Science?
(04-06-2014 11:16 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 11:11 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I don't need "information" to know that being able to grow human organs is big news. It's been a hot topic for years and even has been in TV and Film.

Yes.. But you seem to not grasp the importance of how money can be wisely generated.

I actually find the blood vessel case far more exciting and impressive. They're structures much more significant than a pile of fleshy material that makes an ear.

Look at those solar roadway things. Didn't have any celebrity endorsements or anything, they got popular and made a lot of money via donations and got funded by the Federal Highway Administration to make prototypes. Big topic of those is going green and reducing carbon emission. If you report news in a heavily popular topic, like organ creation, it's going to get noticed no matter what.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Do we sometimes go too far in Science?
(04-06-2014 08:04 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 07:46 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  Possibly a clever way to test it's viability and get some press at the same time.
If they can figure out how to do this with internal organs the advantages would be huge.

I'm not against the science behind this but do something that will benefit, try recreating a leg or arm or hand, why an ear?

Simpler, easier goal to achieve, publicity = funding

(04-06-2014 07:51 AM)Logisch Wrote:  It doesn't seem unethical. Think of the possibilities of being able to clone human parts from DNA. Even an ear. Imagine a person who needs an organ transplant and the possibility of someday being able to pop out a kidney or liver or something. No waiting on a donor, just grow one.

Never said it was unethical I just don't understand why do an ear, why not try a hand or something that will benefit people.[/quote]

What's easier to make, a functioning prosthetic hand, or a prosthetic ear?

(04-06-2014 07:53 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Does seem a bit pointless and lacking in taste, doesn't it? I wonder if there are medical, moral or legal objections to doing something similar to a person living now. There are lots of people who have lost parts of their body. Couldn't they be helped?

Of course, it would make sense to start with "small" and "simple". And if there are objections, using this method on a dead person would probably avoid these.

(04-06-2014 08:04 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I just think they are wasting their time with an ear, plenty of other small body parts they could test that would be a lot more beneficial ya know.

Clearly, had they 3D printed a nose or a penis, it would have been in better taste.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
04-06-2014, 11:26 AM
(04-06-2014 11:11 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I don't need "information" to know that being able to grow human organs is big news. It's been a hot topic for years and even has been in TV and Film.

Yes. You don't.

You. The individual.

Since you cannot possibly measure the differential in public exposure and the change in awareness/response/feedback/funding resulting from it, you simply can't say whether it was beneficial or not.

Although obviously someone thought it would be, or else they wouldn't have done it!
Tongue

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
04-06-2014, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 11:58 AM by ClydeLee.)
Re: RE: Do we sometimes go too far in Science?
(04-06-2014 11:20 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 11:16 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes.. But you seem to not grasp the importance of how money can be wisely generated.

Look at those solar roadway things. Didn't have any celebrity endorsements or anything, they got popular and made a lot of money via donations and got funded by the Federal Highway Administration to make prototypes. Big topic of those is going green and reducing carbon emission. If you report news in a heavily popular topic, like organ creation, it's going to get noticed no matter what.

You're operating in some fantastical view. That's not a reasonable approach because rare occurrences may get boosted on by small steps. Btw, donations like you mention is exactly what may get increased because of this.

Not every scientific discovery great for the world or humanity will be discovered no matter what.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-06-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm surprised that we got to printing blood vessels before we printed iphones all in one step at our houses.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
04-06-2014, 11:36 AM
(04-06-2014 11:22 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  What's easier to make, a functioning prosthetic hand, or a prosthetic ear?
Well, what's more useful?

(04-06-2014 11:22 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Clearly, had they 3D printed a nose or a penis, it would have been in better taste.

Ok fine, an ear then.

(04-06-2014 11:26 AM)cjlr Wrote:  

Yes. You don't.

You. The individual.

Since you cannot possibly measure the differential in public exposure and the change in awareness/response/feedback/funding resulting from it, you simply can't say whether it was beneficial or not.

Although obviously someone thought it would be, or else they wouldn't have done it!
Tongue

Obviously it's beneficial to be able to create organs. Don't need very confusing math terms to know that. It's just instinct. People lose organs, we want to be able to replace them.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-06-2014, 11:37 AM
(04-06-2014 11:34 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I'm surprised that we got to printing blood vessels before we printed iphones all in one step at our houses.

They probably have an app for that.

04-06-2014, 11:49 AM
O.o

What is wrong with you people? Am I the only one who just sat back for a minute and thought "Man, They grew an ear! Its Van Goghs ear too! "How stinkin cool is that?! The world is so amazing!

The man doesnt care if you grew his ear, I dont know if you know this, but he died ages ago.

Thats my educated opinion Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
04-06-2014, 11:53 AM
(04-06-2014 11:49 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  O.o

What is wrong with you people? Am I the only one who just sat back for a minute and thought "Man, They grew an ear! Its Van Goghs ear too! "How stinkin cool is that?! The world is so amazing!

The man doesnt care if you grew his ear, I dont know if you know this, but he died ages ago.

Thats my educated opinion Tongue

I respect your opinion Thumbsup and i'm not going to try and change it. I would have been amazed no matters who ear it was. Guess i'm just simple minded.