Do we sometimes go too far in Science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Re: RE: Do we sometimes go too far in Science?
(04-06-2014 11:53 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 11:49 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  O.o

What is wrong with you people? Am I the only one who just sat back for a minute and thought "Man, They grew an ear! Its Van Goghs ear too! "How stinkin cool is that?! The world is so amazing!

The man doesnt care if you grew his ear, I dont know if you know this, but he died ages ago.

Thats my educated opinion Tongue

I respect your opinion Thumbsup and i'm not going to try and change it. I would have been amazed no matters who ear it was. Guess i'm just simple minded.

No, you're actually more interested in scientific discoveries... But most people aren't.

They're not trying to reach you, they're trying to reach the most of most people impressable.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2014, 12:01 PM
RE: Do we sometimes go too far in Science?
(04-06-2014 11:57 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 11:53 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I respect your opinion Thumbsup and i'm not going to try and change it. I would have been amazed no matters who ear it was. Guess i'm just simple minded.

No, you're actually more interested in scientific discoveries... But most people aren't.

They're not trying to reach you, they're trying to reach the most of most people impressable.

Well they got the artists attention, though in this generation not sure how many actually know who van Gogh is outside of painting and art.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-06-2014, 12:01 PM
(04-06-2014 11:57 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 11:53 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I respect your opinion Thumbsup and i'm not going to try and change it. I would have been amazed no matters who ear it was. Guess i'm just simple minded.

So you're saying that I'm not interested in scientific discoveries because I think its cool that not only is it an ear (which is amazing) its Van Goghs ear?

Right...no assumptions there.
04-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Do we sometimes go too far in Science?
[Image: ebaqa4eg.jpg]

Ear:
Skin over cartilage.

Hand:
Each hand contains (plus or minus... everyone is different, and everyone counts these things differently...)
29 major and minor bones (many people have a few more).
29 major joints.
At least 123 named ligaments.
34 muscles which move the fingers and thumb:
17 in the palm of the hand, and
18 in the forearm.
48 named nerves:
3 major nerves.
24 named sensory branches.
21 named muscular branches.
30 named arteries and nearly as many smaller named branches.

http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/facts.htm

"Why an ear? Why not just 3D print a hand? It's the same thing, right?"

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 3 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
04-06-2014, 12:15 PM

What is wrong with you people? Am I the only one who just sat back for a minute and thought "Man, They grew an ear! Its Van Goghs ear too! "How stinkin cool is that?! The world is so amazing!

The man doesnt care if you grew his ear, I dont know if you know this, but he died ages ago.

Yabut, Van Gogh don't need an ear anymore.

They couldn't have hooked up Evander Holyfield? Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
04-06-2014, 12:16 PM
(04-06-2014 12:13 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  [Image: ebaqa4eg.jpg]

Ear:
Skin over cartilage.

Hand:
Each hand contains (plus or minus... everyone is different, and everyone counts these things differently...)
29 major and minor bones (many people have a few more).
29 major joints.
At least 123 named ligaments.
34 muscles which move the fingers and thumb:
17 in the palm of the hand, and
18 in the forearm.
48 named nerves:
3 major nerves.
24 named sensory branches.
21 named muscular branches.
30 named arteries and nearly as many smaller named branches.

http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/facts.htm

"Why an ear? Why not just 3D print a hand? It's the same thing, right?"

I said Ok to the ear, my main concern wasn't really what body part, it was why go through the trouble of getting matching DNA to Vincent van Gogh just to do it.

(04-06-2014 12:15 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

Laugh out load

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-06-2014, 12:24 PM
(04-06-2014 12:15 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

Lol. True Tongue

I guess my main complaint is why is it "too far" because it was an artists ear? Would it have been too far if it was any other ear? It's not hurting anyone so whats the point of -that- being the problem?! Lol.

Why do we need to nitpick everything? Why cant we just be floored by how awesome something is sometimes?? Just sometimes guys, please??
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
04-06-2014, 12:29 PM
(04-06-2014 12:24 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 12:15 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yabut, Van Gogh don't need an ear anymore.

Lol. True Tongue

I guess my main complaint is why is it "too far" because it was an artists ear? Would it have been too far if it was any other ear? It's not hurting anyone so whats the point of -that- being the problem?! Lol.

Why do we need to nitpick everything? Why cant we just be floored by how awesome something is sometimes?? Just sometimes guys, please??

I agree it's amazing, I think the question was answered on the first page of this thread.
Like Van Gogh's ear (band name) this thread has a life of its own. Big Grin
04-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Ok Ok, you all are right and i'm wrong. I just don't see the point in it but again, i'm just simple minded. Things amaze me easily.

04-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Under the headlines I read this as being primarily an art piece rather than science. It's in intended to cause the kind of discussion in this thread ie it is a successful piece of art.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.