Do you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Do you?
Some people I know who are christian, are beginning to become old and are either suffering from physical things or mental thing like depression, and I'm scared they would go into a really dark place if someone took god from them. So as an atheist, I don't have the heart to even try convert them even though I dislike religion.

So to the question: Are there times when you think: "Maybe it's just for the best to let that person live in a bubble and be happy" or are you a merciless, militant atheist who think it's the right thing to take their teddybear away? Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2015, 10:51 AM
RE: Do you?
(21-08-2015 10:36 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Some people I know who are christian, are beginning to become old and are either suffering from physical things or mental thing like depression, and I'm scared they would go into a really dark place if someone took god from them. So as an atheist, I don't have the heart to even try convert them even though I dislike religion.

So to the question: Are there times when you think: "Maybe it's just for the best to let that person live in a bubble and be happy" or are you a merciless, militant atheist who think it's the right thing to take their teddybear away? Big Grin

I do see one of the positives (and I use that term loosely) of religion is that it can give a person some meaning if they wish it to. As I see it the biggest problem is the forcing it upon children. Granted the adult probably was indoctrinated as a child but considering I buried my grandmother earlier this year, I can see how some people cope with their own mortality by thinking there is some celestial theme park waiting for them so it takes away the fear of death. There are times where even a lie can help soothe.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
21-08-2015, 10:52 AM
If someone uses religion as a way to cope with life and that is where it ends--then I don't take their teddy bear away. I know many nice religious people who don't inflict their views on others or spread hate etc. Everyone gets through life differently and if religion is their way of coping with things and they aren't standing in the way of science/being hateful/harming others, then I don't really care what they believe in their personal life.
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
21-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Do you?
(21-08-2015 10:36 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Some people I know who are christian, are beginning to become old and are either suffering from physical things or mental thing like depression, and I'm scared they would go into a really dark place if someone took god from them. So as an atheist, I don't have the heart to even try convert them even though I dislike religion.

It's like the Matrix, you might not want to unplug them when the get to a certain age. They are too dependent on the bullshit.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
21-08-2015, 11:21 AM
As long as religious people don't try to tell me how wonderfull their god blanket is I don't care about their myths and their life. They could he happy or depressed thanks to opium of theirs, but that is not my concern.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
21-08-2015, 11:26 AM
I never try to convert anyone. Had enough of that when I was forced to witness as a Christian in my teens.

It doesn't bother me when people use the hope of heaven to help them fear aging or dying less. I've met some very depressed and angry older Christians, though; not everybody's able to take comfort from their beliefs.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
21-08-2015, 12:14 PM
You are coming from a Christian background, so you’ve been spoon fed this idea that it’s your job to compel people to believe what you believe. In fact, whether or not these folks believe in a deity won’t change a single thing about their situations.

DO GET INVOLVED IF THEY ARE AVOIDING CHEMOTHERAPY BECAUSE THEIR PASTOR SAYS THAT SUCH TREATMENTS ARE “OF THE DEVIL,” OR OTHER SUCH NONSENSE.

Short of that, my advice is to leave well enough alone and just be there emotionally for your friends and family. What will be of the most value to them are your comforting words and time spent with them.

I hope your Christian friends find comfort and peace.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
21-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Religion is like a dick -- it's cool if someone else has one, just don't shove it down my throat.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
21-08-2015, 12:27 PM
I'd let them keep their teddy bear too.

But it's hard sometimes...

I have a friend whose grandma fell in the bathroom, hit her head and was laying there for ten hours before someone found her. When she started to show signs of recovery in the hospital, my friend reported that she said "See? God is amazing!" Which made me want to yell "YOUR GOD LEFT GRANDMA ON THE BATHROOM FLOOR ALL NIGHT BLEEDING OUT OF HER HEAD. WHAT THE FUCK IS SO AMAZING ABOUT THAT?"

But, yelling at people because their dying grandparents are being delusional is kind of a dick move, so I kept it to myself.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
21-08-2015, 02:48 PM
(21-08-2015 10:51 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  So to the question: Are there times when you think: "Maybe it's just for the best to let that person live in a bubble and be happy" or are you a merciless, militant atheist who think it's the right thing to take their teddybear away? Big Grin

I don't hide my atheism but I don't force it on anybody else. Developing a metaphysical framework is everyone's personal responsibility. If they'd rather cede that responsibility to someone else, no skin off my scrotum. Well that and proselytizing will get you fired at my place of work.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post