Do you Compartmentalize?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 01:34 PM by Tomasia.)
Do you Compartmentalize?
One common allegation often leveled at theists and their ilk, is compartmentalization, especially when it comes to smart religious folks. And my question is primarily for those who often subscribe to this view.

Do people who compartmentalize know they're compartmentalizing? Or is it a process they're not consciously aware of engaging in?

Do you believe you compartmentalize? Or would you say you don't know whether you do or not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmen...sychology)

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2016, 10:08 AM
RE: Do you Compartmentalize?
(09-05-2016 09:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  One common allegation often leveled at theists and their ilk, is compartmentalization, especially when it comes to smart religious folks. And my question is primarily for those who often subscribe to this view.

Do people who compartmentalize know they're compartmentalizing? Or is it a process they're not consciously aware of engaging in?

Do you believe you compartmentalize? Or would you say you don't know whether you do or not?

I compartmentalize all the time. I think every successful person does, otherwise all anyone would do all day long is play video games and make posts on TTA.

As a religious person, I also compartmentalize biblical matters. The literal reading of creation in Genesis doesn't jive with my common sense or education, so I dismiss it when I'm in biology class; it doesn't belong in the classroom.

I don't dismiss my understanding of science when I'm in religious discussion with religious people. Instead, I try to make a case why both the bible and the science are true in hopes that I can open someone's mind to new interpretations and new avenues of thinking.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
09-05-2016, 10:16 AM
I don't understand compartmentalizing. The brain doesn't have little rooms with doors that lock up. It seems to me the brain is fluid and information flows everywhere. I think people can be in denial and justify their beliefs. I think they take information such as belief in a god and make it fit in the world no matter what reality is but I don't consider this compartmentalizing. It's rearranging information.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-05-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm definitely guilty of compartmentalizing, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It can be psychologically healthy in some cases. The cognitive dissonance caused by certain traumatic events in my life would have pushed me to commit suicide a long time ago if I hadn't learned to compartmentalize my thoughts and feelings about these events with the reality of what happened. Just the other day I had to do it again when my older brother shared a devastating revelation about my father with me.

I don't blame theists for doing it because I know what it's like to be in their shoes. There is nothing that terrifies me more than the inevitable end of my existence so I can't fault anyone who chooses to deny that reality in exchange for some peace of mind.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
09-05-2016, 11:06 AM
(09-05-2016 10:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm definitely guilty of compartmentalizing, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It can be psychologically healthy in some cases. The cognitive dissonance caused by certain traumatic events in my life would have pushed me to commit suicide a long time ago if I hadn't learned to compartmentalize my thoughts and feelings about these events with the reality of what happened. Just the other day I had to do it again when my older brother shared a devastating revelation about my father with me.

I don't blame theists for doing it because I know what it's like to be in their shoes. There is nothing that terrifies me more than the inevitable end of my existence so I can't fault anyone who chooses to deny that reality in exchange for some peace of mind.

Hug

I'm glad you're able to stay strong.
09-05-2016, 11:18 AM
(09-05-2016 09:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  One common allegation often leveled at theists and their ilk, is compartmentalization, especially when it comes to smart religious folks. And my question is primarily for those who often subscribe to this view.

I don't accept your premises. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-05-2016, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 11:36 AM by cactus.)
Yes, I'm afraid of a lot of harmless social situations, even though it's usually a totally irrational fear.

I compartmentalize when I consume animal products, too. I admire vegans (as long as they're vegan for ethical reasons, and not for some bullshit "the chemicals in my body are bad for my chakras" reasons), but I have no desire to become one. Out of sight, out of mind, and into my mouth. NomNom Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
09-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Probably. Not sure to what extent.

09-05-2016, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 11:58 AM by Mr. Boston.)
I've never really understood what this term really means but have always taken it to be about breaking problems or situations down into a series of smaller problems, tasks, or topics and approaching each as its own separate question or "action item" for lack of a better term. Divide and conquer and all that. I most certainly do NOT do this - or at least not in a pre-meditated or well-organized way. I tend to dive headfirst into a complex problem and improvise, working on multiple different elements in a completely capricious and randomized way. I acknowledge this is an inefficient and often times ineffective way to look at things. I'm very rarely successful at breaking things down into smaller tasks. What can I say, I'm naturally drawn towards improvisation.

Or are you talking more about how we classify groups of people or events or philosophical concepts? In some ways I guess I do sort of compartmentalize concepts or issues, even if that does lead me to also paint large groups or sets of ideas with broader strokes. For example I could feel comfortable making the GENERAL statement that I don't align with Right-Wing Conservatism. However that doesn't mean I'd find myself at odds with all conservative people or all conservative principles. I prefer to tackle these things issue by issue: foreign policy, gun control, marriage equality, free speech and "political correctness," states' rights, etc.
09-05-2016, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 12:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-05-2016 10:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm definitely guilty of compartmentalizing, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It can be psychologically healthy in some cases.

Yup.

(09-05-2016 10:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  There is nothing that terrifies me more than the inevitable end of my existence ...

That's how I felt at your age. 30 years later it now comforts me instead.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post