Do you Compartmentalize?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 12:21 PM
RE: Do you Compartmentalize?
(11-05-2016 12:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 11:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Lol, I'm arguing against those who believe it does, against those who claim that peer review process, doing science, eliminates individual bias, which was Stevil suggestion.

If you can't support this claim, then thats that.

So you have no examples. That's what I thought.
YOU made the claim, as anyone can read. YOU have nothing to support your claim.
(And now, you try to weasel out of the fact you made a bald face claim, and you made it up).

Why are you here, again ?

You idiots are the one peddling the magical elixir, of how peer review, and science eliminates individuals biases and prejudices, and failing to support this every step of the way, not me, lol.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2016, 12:25 PM
(11-05-2016 12:19 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 12:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  YOU made claim. YOU support YOUR claim.

Want evidence of Stevil's claim that science and peer review are both processes that seek to eliminate biases? There is a lot of it...published every year...by scientists...

So show me, show me a published study, in which the researcher had a strong bias going into it, which his/her bias was eliminated in process of peer review. You claim there's a lot. Show me some.

Scientists don't go into a study with any intentional biases, that is counterintuitive. Instead, they ACCOUNT for the possibility of bias within their data and/or observations. I listed a whole bunch of research a few pages ago that would have used DATA and STATISTICS to test for their biases in various ways.

Here is one of ours (me and my research group). We started off with an assumption that the original correlations of the rocks in New York was correct. But it wasn't so we revised the correlations. (or to put it another way, this is a study with both "negative" evidence that demonstrated the correlations WERE wrong and new data used to revise the correlations. It's almost as if I am a scientist who knows what the fuck I'm talking about and you are a jackass talking out of both sides of your mouth Laugh out load )

https://www.researchgate.net/publication...York_State

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
11-05-2016, 12:26 PM
(11-05-2016 12:21 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 12:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So you have no examples. That's what I thought.
YOU made the claim, as anyone can read. YOU have nothing to support your claim.
(And now, you try to weasel out of the fact you made a bald face claim, and you made it up).

Why are you here, again ?

You idiots are the one peddling the magical elixir, of how peer review, and science eliminates individuals biases and prejudices, and failing to support this every step of the way, not me, lol.

Not a single person here (except you) has proposed that science and the scientific method are magic. YOU are simply full of shit.

Science is a self-correcting method where the WHOLE purpose is self-correction and REMOVAL of biases.

-Rick
11-05-2016, 12:30 PM
(11-05-2016 10:31 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Universities exist to serve the interests of the professors and students. YOU assume something else.

You've been drinking the Kool-Aid, for way too long. Professors are employees of the universities, the students are consumers. You might as well say Apple exists to serve the interest of their workers, and their consumers.

The University you likely work for, doesn't serve your interest, you serve their's, duh.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
11-05-2016, 12:31 PM
(11-05-2016 12:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 10:31 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Universities exist to serve the interests of the professors and students. YOU assume something else.

You've been drinking the Kool-Aid, for way too long. Professors are employees of the universities, the students are consumers. You might as well say Apple exists to serve the interest of their workers, and their consumers.

The University you likely work for, doesn't serve your interest, you serve their's, duh.

Your conspiracy doesn't hold up and you've supported your conspiracy theory with precisely jack-shit for evidence.

Come on, address this post:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid994742

-Rick
11-05-2016, 12:34 PM
(11-05-2016 12:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 12:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You've been drinking the Kool-Aid, for way too long. Professors are employees of the universities, the students are consumers. You might as well say Apple exists to serve the interest of their workers, and their consumers.

Your conspiracy doesn't hold up and you've supported your conspiracy theory with precisely jack-shit for evidence.

Lol, yes, the claim that employees serve in the interest of their employers, is a conspiracy theory. Not.

11-05-2016, 12:37 PM
(11-05-2016 12:25 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Scientists don't go into a study with any intentional biases, that is counterintuitive. Instead, they ACCOUNT for the possibility of bias within their data and/or observations. I listed a whole bunch of research a few pages ago that would have used DATA and STATISTICS to test for their biases in various ways.

So in other words they don't go in with biases and prejudices, therefore there are no biases and prejudices that get eliminated.

Quote:Science is a self-correcting method where the WHOLE purpose is self-correction and REMOVAL of biases.

I'm not sure how you can remove biases, which you just suggested don't exist when going into a study.

11-05-2016, 12:41 PM
(11-05-2016 12:34 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 12:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Your conspiracy doesn't hold up and you've supported your conspiracy theory with precisely jack-shit for evidence.

Lol, yes, the claim that employees serve in the interest of their employers, is a conspiracy theory. Not.

"Lol, yes, the claim that employees serve in the interest of their employers, is a conspiracy theory. Not."

Your conspiracy revolves around treating science like a retail job instead of treating it as science.

Your conspiracy revolves around universities and research institutes not being established to do research, but as "science factories" that produce some product instead of scientific research.

"So in other words they don't go in with biases and prejudices, therefore there are no biases and prejudices that get eliminated."

Fuck you're stupid.

Scientists go into their research with TESTABLE HYPOTHESES which they use SCIENCE through data and observation to support or reject.

Come on, reply to this post:

-Rick
11-05-2016, 12:42 PM
(11-05-2016 12:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 12:25 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Scientists don't go into a study with any intentional biases, that is counterintuitive. Instead, they ACCOUNT for the possibility of bias within their data and/or observations. I listed a whole bunch of research a few pages ago that would have used DATA and STATISTICS to test for their biases in various ways.

So in other words they don't go in with biases and prejudices, therefore there are no biases and prejudices that get eliminated.

Quote:Science is a self-correcting method where the WHOLE purpose is self-correction and REMOVAL of biases.

I'm not sure how you can remove biases, which you just suggested don't exist when going into a study.

"I'm not sure how you can remove biases, which you just suggested don't exist when going into a study."

One removes them by doing SCIENCE to collect data to support or refute hypotheses.

Fuck, you don't even know what the goddamn scientific method is.

Are you really this dumb or is it a show, troll?

-Rick
11-05-2016, 12:49 PM
(11-05-2016 12:41 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Your conspiracy revolves around treating science like a retail job instead of treating it as science.

I treat science like it's a job, and you believe that stating this is peddling a conspiracy, lol.

Quote:Your conspiracy revolves around universities and research institutes not being established to do research, but as "science factories" that produce some product instead of scientific research.

No conspiracy in pointing out that universities create research institutions, not for self-less reasons, but ultimately to serve in the interest of the universities themselves.

Quote:Come on, reply to this post:

I did, and when you painted yourself in a fucking corner, you pretend you haven't by responding with "Fuck you're stupid."

Quote:"So in other words they don't go in with biases and prejudices, therefore there are no biases and prejudices that get eliminated."

Fuck you're stupid.

Scientists go into their research with TESTABLE HYPOTHESES which they use SCIENCE through data and observation to support or reject.

So again they go into their research absent of deep biases and prejudices, just with a testable hypothesis.