Do you Compartmentalize?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 02:52 PM
RE: Do you Compartmentalize?
(11-05-2016 01:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 12:54 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Tom, I got to tell you that based on your comments on this thread it is painfully clear that you lack even the most basic understanding of the scientific method to the point of being embarrassing.

“In summary, the scientific method attempts to minimize the influence of bias or prejudice in the experimenter when testing an hypothesis or a theory.”
http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/phy_la...ndixe.html

Do yourself a favor and study the drawing below...there will be a quiz on Friday.

[Image: method1.jpg]

A person has strong biases and prejudices.

A suggested cure to eliminate these strongly held bias and prejudices:

Have the person read the steps in the diagram and follow it, at the end of which his prejudices and biases would be eliminated.

I mean it seems pretty easy right, the cure for prejudices and biases, is just teaching people to follow the guidelines provided to them in grade school science projects? Imagine if this were true, think of the implication, we can rid the world of prejudices and biases. Perhaps educational institutions should consider this promising conclusion, if it held true that is.

Facepalm

The WORK, if done properly and after peer-review, will be free of bias and prejudice...not the humans creating the WORK.

You are bordering on being called intellectually challenged or Troll.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-05-2016, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2016 03:19 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(11-05-2016 02:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  In the same vein as when you demystifying morality.

Is not a sentence in the English language.
Do you EVER plan on getting an education ? Good to know you felt defeated in your garbage about morality.

Quote:I find it both interesting, and a bit trite, the sort of dewey-eyed view of science often held by many atheists, that's almost impenetrable, a desire to imagine it as this pure, and sacrificial entity, who service is to truth for truths sake. For folks like TbD, it's blasphemy, an unforgivable sin to suggests that scientists are employees, serving in the interest of those that pay their mortgages and cable bills. He equates this with claiming that 9.11 was an inside job, unable to recognize his own hubris.

PROVE that theist views of the scientific method differs from atheists view of the method, or any other group. More made up shit, wiht not a shred of support, from Tommy's ass. TBD DOES science, every day of the week, fool. No one cares what you find trite. What do YOU do all day ?

What are you doing here, again ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Hey Tommy have you made a single evidenced claim in this thread? Jesus fuck.

First it was scientists are all paid shills, next it was scientific method doesn't remove bias, then there was "I do science too, I used to work as some kinda office twit at Big Pharma".

I've lost count of the number of total bullshit claims you've made, and yet you want us to believe that the *next* one is for realsies. You've spent your credit. You're a troll pure and simple.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
11-05-2016, 04:13 PM
(10-05-2016 02:36 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Scientist are human beings plagued and inflicted by the same biases as every other human being...

Not so. Scientists aren't intellectually incapacitated by an erroneous belief in a supernatural entity which ultimately controls their thought processes.

I notice that you seem preoccupied with attacks on scientists themselves, rather than their theories. You mistakenly seem to think that by denigrating scientists and science, you reinforce your own case in favour of mythical gods and an imaginary heaven and hell etc.

It's up to you to prove the veracity of biblical scripture, rather than attempting to disprove scientific tenets. But then, your debating skills are rather poor aren't they?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
11-05-2016, 04:27 PM
(10-05-2016 02:36 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Scientist are human beings plagued and inflicted by the same biases as every other human being...

Says the ignoramus that doesn't even know the plural form of "scientist" ends in an "s", (and REPEATEDLY makes this fundamental error).
And we're supposed to take this shit seriously ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-05-2016, 11:16 PM
(11-05-2016 04:13 PM)SYZ Wrote:  It's up to you to prove the veracity of biblical scripture, rather than attempting to disprove scientific tenets. But then, your debating skills are rather poor aren't they?

IMO he's not attempting to disprove anything, I think his strategy is to say that science is a word game like everything else, thus establishing that *his* claims (or those of his religion) should be taken equally seriously with those of science "because it's all just a matter of opinion".

He's trying to pretend that science does not establish objective truth - which it doesn't, Tommy. It establishes an *approximation*, our best guess so far. Somehow the fact that people make mistakes and commit fraud seems to translate into your mind into some kind of idea that the process is flawed. Well hey, you are welcome to point out flaws *because science is like that* - we want to know flaws so we can correct it. But if your "flaw" is that the results don't support your already-held opinion then I'm afraid we identified the flaw and it is not with the method.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
12-05-2016, 03:01 AM
(11-05-2016 02:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 01:32 PM)Stevil Wrote:  There are many scientists, probably most, that eat breakfast.

Do we then consider eating breakfast to be science?
There are some scientists, the minority, that pray?
Do we consider praying to be science?

Scientists play a variety of occupational roles, based on their expertise and knowledge of their particular fields of study.
Sure they do. But a scientist doing pseudo science does not equal a scientist doing science. Adherence to the method is what makes it science. You actually don't need a scientific qualification in order to do science.
Albert Einstein was a patent clerk when he wrote the papers on "Brownian motion", "photoelectric effect", "special relativity" and "mass energy equivalence".

But these papers are most definitely science.
Notice that the focus is not on the author but the paper.

(11-05-2016 02:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The scientists who works for a pharmaceutical company, is a scientist, just as his low level researcher working in Academia. You ain't pulling a no true scotsman over here, to create an illusion of some sort of pure science, to weed all the problematic bits that scientists and the establishments they work for engage in, as non-science.
A scientist can produce perfect papers and flawed papers. Flawed papers will be called out during peer review.

(11-05-2016 02:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Or claiming that the variety of scientists who publish peer-reviewed papers, that later found to have methodological flaws, weren't doing science.
It is a fair comment, to discover that a paper isn't adhering to the scientific method, hopefully the author will go back and correct the issue.
12-05-2016, 05:12 AM
(11-05-2016 02:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm not trolling, I'm demystifying, though I'm probably having more fun with it than I should be.

Typical. Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
12-05-2016, 05:34 AM
(11-05-2016 02:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm not trolling, I'm demystifying, though I'm probably having more fun with it than I should be. In the same vein as when you demystifying morality. It's easy argument to make, but for some a hard pill to swallow. The fact that some people feelings get hurt when speaking of science as anything less than perfect, to treat it as any other profession, with the sort of politics, monetary desires, serving in the self interests of their employers, plagued by the same human problems that plague all human endeavors, etc... is not my problem.

When Francis Collins did groundbreaking work with the human genome, his work was peer reviewed. It checked out, and contributed to expanding our knowledge. He won a Noble Prize for this work. In this instance, Collins was 'doing science'.

When he went out hiking and came upon a frozen waterfall, then declared that it was his proof for the existence of god? He didn't submit that work to peer review, he had is self published for the laity. Even he knew he wasn't doing science, and submitting such a thing as evidence for his god in peer review would get him laughed out of the room. In this instance, Collins was not 'doing science'.

There is nothing for you to demystify. Science is a method; either you follow it or you do not. When you don't, it will be noticed eventually.

Also, vaccines don't cause autism, and jet fuel does in fact burn that hot... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-05-2016, 05:38 AM
[Image: aid3454436-728px-Compartmentalize-Step-9...2.jpg.webp]

It's undeniably a riveting process to do so.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson