Do you Compartmentalize?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 01:55 PM
RE: Do you Compartmentalize?
(10-05-2016 01:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  A claim that would require biases to exist, in order for them to be eliminated.

If the claim is that biases aren't present when drawing conclusions, for which no invested interests exist one way or the other, than this would be just as true for scientists, as for everyone else.

The "invested interests" are irrelevant. It's why there is a null hypothesis, evidence, and statistics (used according to proper methodology).
Four more words you never used. I think you have no clue what science is, either, or how it actually works.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-05-2016, 02:00 PM
(10-05-2016 01:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 01:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  YOU want to impart a bias in science that does not exist.

You mean, I want to impart a bias on scientists, who don't have biases?

No, I'm not.

In fact my response are primarily directed to the belief in scientists eliminating their bias and prejudices in the process of conducting science. A claim that would require biases to exist, in order for them to be eliminated.

So as usual, you're barking up the wrong tree. If the claim is that biases aren't present when drawing conclusions, for which no invested interests exist one way or the other, than this would be just as true for scientists, as for everyone else.

You're head is so far up your own ass, you can probably see your tonsils.

At what point did anyone say that individual humans are free of bias, whether they are scientists or not?

YOU assert that scientists are biased with respect to their science. And you are full of shit. Just because YOU don't know how or what science is, doesn't mean scientists are biased with respect to their science.

For instance, "I science the shit out of stuff all the time." <- a perfect example of YOU having no idea what science is or how one uses science or "does" science.

YOU aren't a scientist, but you claim to know science and scientists better than actual scientists. Which isn't a surprise, since you also claim to know atheists better than atheists or individuals better than they know themselves.

In fact, you never did tell me who I was after implying that you knew me and my history better than I did. Drinking Beverage still waiting.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
10-05-2016, 02:08 PM
(10-05-2016 02:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 01:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You mean, I want to impart a bias on scientists, who don't have biases?

No, I'm not.

In fact my response are primarily directed to the belief in scientists eliminating their bias and prejudices in the process of conducting science. A claim that would require biases to exist, in order for them to be eliminated.

So as usual, you're barking up the wrong tree. If the claim is that biases aren't present when drawing conclusions, for which no invested interests exist one way or the other, than this would be just as true for scientists, as for everyone else.

You're head is so far up your own ass, you can probably see your tonsils.

At what point did anyone say that individual humans are free of bias, whether they are scientists or not?

YOU assert that scientists are biased with respect to their science. And you are full of shit. Just because YOU don't know how or what science is, doesn't mean scientists are biased with respect to their science.

For instance, "I science the shit out of stuff all the time." <- a perfect example of YOU having no idea what science is or how one uses science or "does" science.

YOU aren't a scientist, but you claim to know science and scientists better than actual scientists. Which isn't a surprise, since you also claim to know atheists better than atheists or individuals better than they know themselves.

In fact, you never did tell me who I was after implying that you knew me and my history better than I did. Drinking Beverage still waiting.
He also knows christians well because he can judge that based on his wife and his social group. As sociological details go most people's groups of that nature don't exceed 50 and 200 is a frequent limit range of some very extroverted community members. There's over a billion christians though.

He likes seeking and coming to conclusions more than opening his view to settled unknowns. It's just gonna keep happening no matter what interaction it would be.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
10-05-2016, 02:13 PM
What about you, OP? Do you think you're compartmentalizing? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
10-05-2016, 02:19 PM
(10-05-2016 01:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Scientist are taught not to accept anecdotal evidence, they are taught how to construct objective experiments, how to include falsifiable criteria. They are taught many important techniques and an awareness of easily people are fooled by intuition, perception, personal experience. The learn how to overcome these with carefully constructed experiments.

Scientist who obtained their degrees for any particular institution, are likely to learn very similarly to those majoring in any other degrees, marketing, economics, medicine, etc….. There’s little reason to believe that scientists at any particular education institutions are taught to think any differently than other majors at the schools, but rather taught to think of different sets of things.

They’re not taught any magical techniques, through some special courses reserved exclusively for them, to overcome the biases and prejudices that plague students majoring in other fields. They don’t sign the equivalent to a hippocratic oath, to serve in the interest of objective truth, and not their corporate employers. And only about 1/10th of advance science majors end up working in academia, the rest are in the service of a variety of other corporate and organizational interest. Who servitude is reserved in many cases to their stockholders.

There just tools, nor superheroes, or divine beings. They don’t go through some secretive initiation process. They’re plagued by the same problems inherent to being human, unable to overcome the cognitive limitations that appear for the rest of us. They didn’t find the magical cure to combat their prejudices.

These beliefs are just a product of your fanboyism, not truth, a product of your infatuation with the idea of science, but your blinded by your puppy love, to recognize there’s nothing particularly special about it.

Quote:Evidence is a concept, it's not a belief system.

Evidence is an abstract word. It’s not a property of an object. It’s meaning is dictated entirely by use.

Quote:The bible isn't evidence.

If I found a Gideon bible in the drawer of my hotel room, it’s evidence that hotel places Gideon bible’s in their guest rooms. If I found remnants of a bible as part of an archaeological dig, it may be evidence that this early community were jewish, or christian etc….. It’s usage that define the meaning of evidence, not a particular property of an object.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
10-05-2016, 02:26 PM
(10-05-2016 02:13 PM)Vosur Wrote:  What about you, OP? Do you think you're compartmentalizing? Consider

No I don't, said every other person who compartmentalizes.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
10-05-2016, 02:33 PM
(10-05-2016 01:31 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 01:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  Christ Tommy. For a guy who doesn't do science you sure have a lot to say about science and scientists.

Before you come back over theism, *any* schmuck can do that shit and a large number of us did. Science is different. It requires ability.

I science the shit out of stuff all the time.

Prove it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-05-2016, 02:35 PM
(10-05-2016 02:19 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Scientist who obtained their degrees for any particular institution, are likely to learn very similarly to those majoring in any other degrees, marketing, economics, medicine, etc….. There’s little reason to believe that scientists at any particular education institutions are taught to think any differently than other majors at the schools, but rather taught to think of different sets of things.

And you know this by "science" somehow ? Prove it.

Quote:They’re not taught any magical techniques, through some special courses reserved exclusively for them, to overcome the biases and prejudices that plague students majoring in other fields. They don’t sign the equivalent to a hippocratic oath, to serve in the interest of objective truth, and not their corporate employers. And only about 1/10th of advance science majors end up working in academia, the rest are in the service of a variety of other corporate and organizational interest. Who servitude is reserved in many cases to their stockholders.

Thanks for demonstrating you have no clue how all this works. Scientists are very competitive. They would rather do nothing that pull some other scientist's work apart and shred it to pieces. THAT (not allowing that to happen) is the best reason to insure the best methods are used.

Working for a company, using "best methods" is not "servitude", you clown.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-05-2016, 02:36 PM
(10-05-2016 02:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  YOU assert that scientists are biased with respect to their science. And you are full of shit. Just because YOU don't know how or what science is, doesn't mean scientists are biased with respect to their science.

Scientist are human beings plagued and inflicted by the same biases as every other human being..

They haven't developed some magical elixir that allows them to eliminate their existing biases, in the process of work.

To believe otherwise, requires a bit of compartmentalization on your part, in how one thinks of scientists as distinct from other professions.

10-05-2016, 02:39 PM
(10-05-2016 02:36 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 02:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  YOU assert that scientists are biased with respect to their science. And you are full of shit. Just because YOU don't know how or what science is, doesn't mean scientists are biased with respect to their science.

Scientist are human beings plagued and inflicted by the same biases as every other human being..

They haven't developed some magical elixir that allows them to eliminate their existing biases, in the process of work.

To believe otherwise, requires a bit of compartmentalization on your part, in how one treats scientists as distinct from other professions.

Yes they have. It's called the scientific *method*, and peer review.