Do you Compartmentalize?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 02:49 PM
RE: Do you Compartmentalize?
Tommy, you said you "science". Prove it. What branch of science? It doesn't have to be professional level. Prove that you actually understand what the fuck you're talking about.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Compartmentalization isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I believe it's a highly valued skill in Japanese Shintoism.
https://books.google.com/books?id=OEy0Bw...on&f=false

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-05-2016, 03:06 PM
(10-05-2016 02:19 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 01:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Scientist are taught not to accept anecdotal evidence, they are taught how to construct objective experiments, how to include falsifiable criteria. They are taught many important techniques and an awareness of easily people are fooled by intuition, perception, personal experience. The learn how to overcome these with carefully constructed experiments.

Scientist who obtained their degrees for any particular institution, are likely to learn very similarly to those majoring in any other degrees, marketing, economics, medicine, etc….. There’s little reason to believe that scientists at any particular education institutions are taught to think any differently than other majors at the schools, but rather taught to think of different sets of things.
There is a difference between science and marketing.
Science is the systematic discovery of objective facts.

Marketing is about many things but it is not a systematic discovery of objective facts.
Perhaps you need a thread about science as this is quite a different topic than compartmentalisation.

Quote:Evidence is a concept, it's not a belief system.

Evidence is an abstract word. It’s not a property of an object. It’s meaning is dictated entirely by use.
Evidence is a concept which applies in a contextual manner.
A thread on science AND evidence might be handy for you to learn why religion is very different from science and why interpreting the bible is very different from having evidence.

Quote:The bible isn't evidence.

If I found a Gideon bible in the drawer of my hotel room, it’s evidence that hotel places Gideon bible’s in their guest rooms.
Well, we wouldn't know who put it there, whether it was a rouge cleaner, a evangelical previous guest, or an establishment thing.

But the point of course, that I was making and which was entirely missed by you. If the bible says that the sun is hot, this is not evidence as to whether the sun is hot or not. Perhaps the unknown author thought the sun was hot, but they haven't presented any reason as to why they think it is hot. They have just made assertions. Assertions are not evidence.
10-05-2016, 03:13 PM
(10-05-2016 02:36 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Scientist are human beings plagued and inflicted by the same biases as every other human being..

They haven't developed some magical elixir that allows them to eliminate their existing biases, in the process of work.

To believe otherwise, requires a bit of compartmentalization on your part, in how one thinks of scientists as distinct from other professions.
A science paper isn't merely the opinion of the scientist. It is confined to the rules of the scientific method. It will be assessed against this method. If it is faulty it may not pass peer review, it may not be published.
Even if it is published it is likely to be challenged.
The scientific method ensures that these ideas are challengable, falsifiable. It encourages experiments to be performed by other scientists to verify the results.

On the other hand, with religion it is perfectly acceptable for the leaders of an organisation to claim transubstantiation is a thing, and to demand their followers to believe it. Transubstantiation was asserted, it cannot be tested, it is not a thing!
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
10-05-2016, 04:15 PM
(10-05-2016 02:36 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 02:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  YOU assert that scientists are biased with respect to their science. And you are full of shit. Just because YOU don't know how or what science is, doesn't mean scientists are biased with respect to their science.

Scientist are human beings plagued and inflicted by the same biases as every other human being..

They haven't developed some magical elixir that allows them to eliminate their existing biases, in the process of work.

To believe otherwise, requires a bit of compartmentalization on your part, in how one thinks of scientists as distinct from other professions.

As has been pointed out by others, eliminating bias and error is the whole point of both science and peer review. That's why science is the preferred method of objectively observing nature and why scientists spend years honing their craft under the careful advisement of other scientists.

YOU assert otherwise while simultaneously demonstrating that you know nothing about science beyond a 3rd grade level.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
10-05-2016, 04:28 PM
(10-05-2016 02:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 02:13 PM)Vosur Wrote:  What about you, OP? Do you think you're compartmentalizing? Consider

No I don't, said every other person who compartmentalizes.

Not really, but some folks can be sarcastic better Shy

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Do you Compartmentalize?
(10-05-2016 03:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  There is a difference between science and marketing.

Marketing is about many things but it is not a systematic discovery of objective facts.

No, science is doing useful shit for who ever is paying you. If I run a pharmaceutical company, I'm hiring scientist to make me money, make my shareholders happy, get my drug to the market, pass through FDA evaluations. I'm not paying you to discover objective facts, I'm paying you to benefit my bottom line.

Quote:Perhaps you need a thread about science as this is quite a different topic than compartmentalisation.

The topic is if one can be aware when they compartmentalize, and here we have atheists doing a great deal of compartmentalization, in regards to their thoughts on science, but totally oblivious to it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
10-05-2016, 04:59 PM
(10-05-2016 04:49 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 03:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  There is a difference between science and marketing.

No, science is doing useful shit for who ever is paying you. If I run a pharmaceutical company, I'm hiring scientist to make me money, make my shareholders happy, get my drug to the market, pass through FDA evaluations. I'm not paying you to discover objective facts, I'm paying you to benefit my bottom line.

Quote:Perhaps you need a thread about science as this is quite a different topic than compartmentalisation.

The topic is if one can be aware when they compartmentalize, and here we have atheists doing a great deal of compartmentalization, in regards to their thoughts on science, but totally oblivious to it.

Your example is of a TECHNICIAN who utilizes methods determined by science and scientists to do a job.

YOU are conflating "employee" with "scientist" because you don't accept that scientists use science and peer review to remove bias from results and conclusions. Because YOU want science to be biased and scientists to be biased with respect to their science.

The transparency of your desire to discuss science as a biased endeavor, is obvious.

You have ACTUAL SCIENTISTS telling you you're full of shit and that you don't know what you're taking about. But you continue to assert your stupid anyways. Laugh out load

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
10-05-2016, 05:11 PM
(10-05-2016 04:49 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, science is doing useful shit for who ever is paying you. If I run a pharmaceutical company, I'm hiring scientist to make me money, make my shareholders happy, get my drug to the market, pass through FDA evaluations. I'm not paying you to discover objective facts, I'm paying you to benefit my bottom line.
This is a bit confused isn't it?

It does make sense that companies seek to take advantage of the scientific method. After all, it is delivering results. Many cures and medical treatments are being discovered, improved, proven to work. It's amazing given this method of discovery what we are able to achieve and what practical use it can be put to.

It is true too that many companies dabble is psuedo-science, trying to blur the line in order to maximise profits. I won't disagree with you on that.

But we are talking about science and the scientific method here, not how some companies are mixing science with non science.

(10-05-2016 04:49 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Sometimes you do post things that make me chuckle.
Keep up the Good work!
10-05-2016, 05:16 PM
(09-05-2016 10:08 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 09:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  One common allegation often leveled at theists and their ilk, is compartmentalization, especially when it comes to smart religious folks. And my question is primarily for those who often subscribe to this view.

Do people who compartmentalize know they're compartmentalizing? Or is it a process they're not consciously aware of engaging in?

Do you believe you compartmentalize? Or would you say you don't know whether you do or not?

I compartmentalize all the time. I think every successful person does, otherwise all anyone would do all day long is play video games and make posts on TTA.

As a religious person, I also compartmentalize biblical matters. The literal reading of creation in Genesis doesn't jive with my common sense or education, so I dismiss it when I'm in biology class; it doesn't belong in the classroom.

I don't dismiss my understanding of science when I'm in religious discussion with religious people. Instead, I try to make a case why both the bible and the science are true in hopes that I can open someone's mind to new interpretations and new avenues of thinking.

New Interpretations? How nuts can one get? The Babble has been around for a couple of thousand years uncounted millions of people have read it and studied it and every once in a while some completely insane person decides they found something new in it a new way to read it and understand it. Reminds me of a movie I saw where the main character was asked to play Romeo as a flaming homosexual. A new interpretation of Shakespeare!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post