Do you DIY?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2016, 07:10 AM
Do you DIY?
How much do you "do it yourself"???

Me -- I don't think I'd attempt at home surgery - a botched triple bypass isn't something you want to have to try to explain to your buddies......

I do all my own car repair (except internal transmission work and mounting tires on rims) -- I do all my own building maintenance. I've done all the electrical work (except the breaker panel - which needs to be done by a state certified electrician - legally) - all the plumbing (except the 4 inch well), roofing, drywalling (hate it), flooring, ect..... My shop - I had the main framing subcontracted - and the concrete flooring -- and the breaker panel --- but everything else - I did myself.

I'm constantly doing some fabrication project -- the latest is for my dad -- it's a stabilizing stand - so he can split the crankcase from the transmission on his 1949 Minneapolis Moline tractor - and split the tractor in two.. (has to change the flywheel - it's missing a couple of teeth)..

I should be out getting the garage ready -- I've gotta pull a head on a 92 SC2 -- it needs a valve job.....

So what stuff do you "farm out" to be done for you???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2016, 07:47 AM
RE: Do you DIY?
I'm so lazy I'm going to outsource the obvious masturbation joke.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
23-08-2016, 08:29 AM
(23-08-2016 07:10 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How much do you "do it yourself"???

Me -- I don't think I'd attempt at home surgery - a botched triple bypass isn't something you want to have to try to explain to your buddies......

I do all my own car repair (except internal transmission work and mounting tires on rims) -- I do all my own building maintenance. I've done all the electrical work (except the breaker panel - which needs to be done by a state certified electrician - legally) - all the plumbing (except the 4 inch well), roofing, drywalling (hate it), flooring, ect..... My shop - I had the main framing subcontracted - and the concrete flooring -- and the breaker panel --- but everything else - I did myself.

I'm constantly doing some fabrication project -- the latest is for my dad -- it's a stabilizing stand - so he can split the crankcase from the transmission on his 1949 Minneapolis Moline tractor - and split the tractor in two.. (has to change the flywheel - it's missing a couple of teeth)..

I should be out getting the garage ready -- I've gotta pull a head on a 92 SC2 -- it needs a valve job.....

So what stuff do you "farm out" to be done for you???

I don't do much anymore, but I used to do all the stuff you listed. I hate drywall too.
23-08-2016, 08:41 AM
(23-08-2016 07:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm so lazy I'm going to outsource the obvious masturbation joke.

Drinking Beverage

And yet you're ambitious enough that you made the post about the joke.....
Consider

Hmmmmmm....

If telling a joke about telling a joke is considered mathematically -- and considering the joke as positive - and two positives of any value will yield a positive result - thus the result is more likely to joke like, than not.

Thus claiming to not be telling a joke, is in itself a joke.

However - if it's not funny, it's not a joke.

Or not..Meaning it is.

Fuck...

See what you did????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
23-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Hi,

I'm restoring a Georgian grade 11 listed property - very, very, slowly! Almost ground to a halt last year.

D.
23-08-2016, 09:16 AM
When I was young I bought an old, dilapidated Victorian in the San Francisco bay area and practically rebuilt it. I did most of it by myself, just hired some muscle here and there.

I hardly had any electric tools, most things were done by hand. No "how to" videos, I had a book on building and architecture to work from. It took 1 year+, all day every day. I loved the place and lived there another 10 years, then I sold it for more than 10x what I put into it.

It was gruesome at times, but always very satisfying to look at the day's work.

That was my only major DIY project. Mostly I work with my brain and not my hands. But for decades and some 4 houses I did home repairs and updates myself.

Now I just hire people... Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-08-2016, 10:28 AM
I can't do home DIY projects up to my husband's standards so I just watch him and listen to him bitch that I am not helping...even though if I do try to help it wouldn't be good enough or fast enough...so meh.

I have made and/or altered curtains and other window coverings but that's only because he doesn't know how to sew.

If I buy something that needs to be assembled I go hide in a room somewhere so I can do the assembling because I enjoy doing it.

Mostly I am called on when husband needs someone with smaller arms and hands to fit into tight spaces...or when something electronic of his isn't working right.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
23-08-2016, 10:37 AM
(23-08-2016 08:41 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...
See what you did????

Yup. I outsourced.

How much do I owe you?

Tongue

23-08-2016, 11:06 AM
Quote:How much do you "do it yourself"???

I do everything...always have. In rural areas, that's pretty common. We could easily afford a repairman, but I just feel a little like I'm pimping out my wife or something, allowing another man access to the inner workings of our stuff! Tongue

I really don't give it much thought, I fix structures, cars, obviously, large aplliances, our well, electrical, computers...literally anything that breaks. Everyone I grew up around did, so I never blinked...just dove in and figured it out. I thought everyone did, back then.

I will say, about a year ago, my wife and I were having dinner with two other couples, one of whom we had just met. I heard my wife say "In over 20 years, we have NEVER called a repairman! And everything we own works!" I was really surprised and proud to hear that...I didn't think she'd noticed. Blush
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
23-08-2016, 11:32 AM
For some the limits of their DIY is the furniture and other stuff you erect yourself from kits, especially those from Ikea.

But even that does not always go smoothly.

[Image: Ikea%20Henj%20-%201.jpg]

[Image: Ikea%20Henj%20-%202.jpg]

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 4 users Like Gloucester's post