Do you DIY?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2016, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2016 11:49 AM by Astreja.)
RE: Do you DIY?
I do a lot of DIY:
  • Shingling small roofs, as long as they're not too high off the ground or too steep;
  • Demolition;
  • Ceramic tile;
  • Flooring;
  • Plumbing;
  • Electrical;
  • General construction;
  • Drywall;
  • Painting (again, as long as it isn't too high up);
  • Very occasional small batches of concrete.
In addition to simply enjoying the work, I know that in most cases I can do as good a job as most of the pros -- Maybe not particularly fast, mind you, but at a fraction of the cost and without having to take time off work to supervise hired trades.

I've been playing with tools since I was about 7-8 years old, graduated to power tools in My mid-teens, and just kept going. I learned early on to ask a lot of questions at hardware counters, plumbing supply stores, or while a professional painter or drywall expert was fixing something at the office.

I do bring in hired guns for really big projects -- Replace the main electrical board, shingle the roof 35 feet up, that kind of thing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
23-08-2016, 11:47 AM
(23-08-2016 11:32 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  For some the limits of their DIY is the furniture and other stuff you erect yourself from kits, especially those from Ikea.

But even that does not always go smoothly.

[Image: Ikea%20Henj%20-%201.jpg]

[Image: Ikea%20Henj%20-%202.jpg]

That makes a lot more sense than the tree-worshipper in the rocks thing, to me...thanks for clearing that up, Glou! I've been there, it really is one of the best Henge's around.
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Not much of DIY for me:
- painting
- chopping wood for winter (if that counts)
- tending the small garden

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-08-2016, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2016 01:52 PM by Anjele.)
(23-08-2016 11:32 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  For some the limits of their DIY is the furniture and other stuff you erect yourself from kits, especially those from Ikea.

This is more up my alley. I love to put things together. I recently got a couple of shelving units for the office here in the house and had to hide them so I could do the assembly. For me it's like putting together a puzzle. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
23-08-2016, 12:51 PM
I do it myself when it's either economically rational or when it's one of those things where OCD kicks in and I want it done exactly my way.

For example... I'm doing my landscaping, raised gardens, rebuilding the deck for my new house, and putting up something of a combined children's swing set / outdoor workout station myself because I have a vision in my head that only I can comprehend. I wouldn't trust someone else to do it Tongue The roof, however, I'll be hiring someone to do. I know how, and was originally planning on doing it myself on my days off, but over the past couple weeks I've had a change of heart. With a blank check on overtime and no preference as to how it's done as long as it's functional, it wouldn't make sense for me to spend time doing it. I could spend a few days doing it myself, or I could take a few days of overtime to cover the cost differential of having it done professionally. And I'd rather be at work than fucking around on my roof.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
23-08-2016, 01:14 PM
This mornings DIY: butcher chickens.

[Image: 9hkgw0.jpg]

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
23-08-2016, 01:35 PM
(23-08-2016 12:51 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I do it myself when it's either economically rational or when it's one of those things where OCD kicks in and I want it done exactly my way.

For example... I'm doing my landscaping, raised gardens, rebuilding the deck for my new house, and putting up something of a combined children's swing set / outdoor workout station myself because I have a vision in my head that only I can comprehend. I wouldn't trust someone else to do it Tongue The roof, however, I'll be hiring someone to do. I know how, and was originally planning on doing it myself on my days off, but over the past couple weeks I've had a change of heart. With a blank check on overtime and no preference as to how it's done as long as it's functional, it wouldn't make sense for me to spend time doing it. I could spend a few days doing it myself, or I could take a few days of overtime to cover the cost differential of having it done professionally. And I'd rather be at work than fucking around on my roof.

Since you don't actually have any yaks to herd, you have plenty of time to build all that stuff.Laughat

That's impressive- I love building outdoor kitchens and children's play areas and decks. I'm in the time between...kids are grown and gone and no grandkids yet. I can't wait, they are going to have a freaking six flags here at Grandpa's house! Shocking Jungle jim and tree house and go karts and 4 wheelers and all that stuff. We did that for our kids and it was awesome.Heart
23-08-2016, 01:50 PM
(23-08-2016 01:14 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  This mornings DIY: butcher chickens.

Takes skill to do that neatly!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
23-08-2016, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2016 06:04 AM by Anjele.)
(23-08-2016 01:14 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  This mornings DIY: butcher chickens.

When my dad was in college my mom worked for a time in the meat department at a large grocery chain. She could butcher a chicken in no time.

I, on the other hand, have to buy it already cut up to avoid bloodshed - mostly mine. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
23-08-2016, 03:43 PM
I have repaired or rebuilt every part of an automobile except for automatic transmissions and air conditioning compressors. I've repaired everything from tricycles to semi tractor equipment, even diesel engines in farm tractors and crawlers (what people usually mean when they say "Caterpillar").

I've built homes from the ground up- all the way from digging the foundation trench to roofing. Includes electrical and plumbing. Drywall! I hung part of a ceiling by myself, once. Went and got help for the rest. That is one job I will sublet every time, from now on. That and stucco- that's hard work, too!

I do almost all of my home and vehicle repairs. Exceptions- when I was working tons of overtime, I had my wife bring in a plumber to root out a toilet. The asshole tried to tell her that the '94 earthquake had broken the drain pipes under the slab, so she sent him packing. Turned out to be a stick in the toilet trap. My son picked the stick up with the pooper scooper and it got stuck when he flushed the waste down. Also, when I was on travel a lot for my job, the wife had bay windows put in and replaced the old aluminum frame single pane windows with double pane vinyl windows (we of course had agreed on that ahead of time). When I came back from all that traveling, we had hardwood floors put in. That took a week instead of the months it would have taken me if I did it in my spare time, and was well worth the money.

I also build cabinets and other do woodworking, woodcarving and coppersmithing.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post