Do you DIY?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2016, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2016 02:26 AM by Gloucester.)
RE: Do you DIY?
With my jack-of-all-trades last job I had to self-teach on using lathes and mills, welding, chemistry, CAD, programming etc. Had to design the plumbing, structure and control systems for liquid-flow test system from 3mm to 2m pipe bore, and materials test rigs, so that included electrics, electronics, pneumatics, hydraulics and mechanics - etc. Also water de-mineralising and de-gassification. Oh, chuck in a bit of woodwork as well...

Interesting job, miss it. Not working, just that job!

So, happy to tackle almost any job that I have the strength and kit for. But at my age etc that is getting to be a narrow field. Last job was something for my even older friend to use to gather and transport windfall apples* off her lawn. Before that it was a battery powered PIR/LED lamp for her large and dark closet (yes, I know one can buy them but making one is far more satisfying!)

*Later: whilst emailing above friend had idea how to turn my apple (or earth, grass, gravel, rubbish) collector into a dumper truck using her sack barrow.

Anyone want a sketch?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
24-08-2016, 05:43 AM
Does it pick up the apples intact, or does it skew them???

(the latter is easier...)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-08-2016, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2016 06:22 AM by Gloucester.)
(24-08-2016 05:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Does it pick up the apples intact, or does it skew them???

(the latter is easier...)

See for yourself
[Image: garden%20dumper%201.jpg]

If you want the stuff bagged put open end of the bag over bin before going into dump position or arrange bag so that the edge of the bin is inside.

24-08-2016, 06:18 AM
"Push bin back forward . . ."
Facepalm

24-08-2016, 06:40 AM
(24-08-2016 06:18 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  "Push bin back forward . . ."
Facepalm

To make it more robust -- a folded piece of steel should clad the lower lip -- about a 4 inch piece of sheet steel x the width of the container -- fold at the 2 inch point (leaving a gap approximately the thickness of the plastic --- then a few pop rivets through the assembly -- would go a long way to making it stiffer - and last longer...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-08-2016, 06:48 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2016 06:54 AM by Gloucester.)
(24-08-2016 06:40 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 06:18 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  "Push bin back forward . . ."
Facepalm

To make it more robust -- a folded piece of steel should clad the lower lip -- about a 4 inch piece of sheet steel x the width of the container -- fold at the 2 inch point (leaving a gap approximately the thickness of the plastic --- then a few pop rivets through the assembly -- would go a long way to making it stiffer - and last longer...
Certainly scope there for improvement, the sketch is just a "seed". Though it would serve my friend for her light garden tidying needs just as it is.

And this version is ok for almost anyone who owns a saw, a Stanley knife, a screw driver and a drill, even a hand powered drill! Keep it simple and let others improve it to their needs - or ask how to if they are not practically minded.

Those with the kit could weld up a custom job.

24-08-2016, 10:54 PM
I design and build things, working in steel, aluminum, wood, fiberglass and epoxy, stone, earth, etc.
24-08-2016, 10:57 PM
(23-08-2016 01:50 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 01:14 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  This mornings DIY: butcher chickens.

[Image: 9hkgw0.jpg]

Takes skill to do that neatly!

That, and I also have mad respect for somebody who can efficiently filet fish.
24-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I do it myself. I do a lot of things myself. Angel

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-08-2016, 02:29 AM
(24-08-2016 11:30 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yeah, I do it myself. I do a lot of things myself. Angel
Yeah, I'm single as well.

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post