Do you DIY?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2016, 10:04 AM
RE: Do you DIY?
(26-08-2016 09:17 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I just paint old crappy furniture and make it look pretty again.

Pretty what?

Angel

Big Grin

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2016, 05:00 PM
I have the Dirty Harry view on home repair: man's got to know his limitations.

I took last week off and was remodeling the downstairs powder room. I did all the demolition (and, if you've never done it, breaking ceramic tile off a concrete slab is the suckiest suck that ever sucked), sanded down the walls, did the spackling, sanding, painting ... and done. I don't do tile. Cutting tile, especially when you have to cut half circles to accommodate a toilet pipe, is a skill that I don't posses. I have a guy that does that stuff and gives me a great price. So, I paid to have my friend put the tile down. He gives me a good deal and I give him work when he's slow. And, sometimes he under charges me and I over pay him. I don't take advantage of our relationship. I pay him what his time is worth.

The tile is done and all that is left is to have a plumber do the toilet and pedestal sink. I can probably do the toilet myself but it's the kind of thing you can fuck up and end up having to buy a new one. PLus, a pedestal sink is a MAJOR pain in the ass. I'd rather just pay the plumber. I know those guys too and they generally give me a good price.

I have to redo our master bath. I'll probably GC it myself and do all the demolition. But, I'll pay people to do the skill work. I'm not a full DIY guy. I know my limitations.

Besides, if I had blue collar skills, I wouldn't have gone to law school.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
26-08-2016, 05:31 PM
(23-08-2016 08:29 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 07:10 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How much do you "do it yourself"???

Me -- I don't think I'd attempt at home surgery - a botched triple bypass isn't something you want to have to try to explain to your buddies......

I do all my own car repair (except internal transmission work and mounting tires on rims) -- I do all my own building maintenance. I've done all the electrical work (except the breaker panel - which needs to be done by a state certified electrician - legally) - all the plumbing (except the 4 inch well), roofing, drywalling (hate it), flooring, ect..... My shop - I had the main framing subcontracted - and the concrete flooring -- and the breaker panel --- but everything else - I did myself.

I'm constantly doing some fabrication project -- the latest is for my dad -- it's a stabilizing stand - so he can split the crankcase from the transmission on his 1949 Minneapolis Moline tractor - and split the tractor in two.. (has to change the flywheel - it's missing a couple of teeth)..

I should be out getting the garage ready -- I've gotta pull a head on a 92 SC2 -- it needs a valve job.....

So what stuff do you "farm out" to be done for you???

I don't do much anymore, but I used to do all the stuff you listed. I hate drywall too.

OK you haters: I am packing up and heading to Baton Rouge to see if I can make a few bucks at drywall. All 60,000 of those houses that were underwater need to have the dry wall stripped out as well as the insulation and then the studs sprayed with bleach and new insulation installed and new drywall hung, taped, finished, primed and painted. Those who had insurance should be able to pay for it, and i started that specialty when Hurricane Andrew hit Florida during the first Bill Clinton Administration. Spent 18 months in Mississippi after Katrina and expect to net $1000 per week until after Christmas. Everybody has to do something, and I love that type of work. I'll probably be a bit slower at 70 years old than I was at 25 and 55, but I ain't dead yet. In Miss we had cards printed up saying we aren't real fast, we're just half fast! Half Fast Drywall!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
26-08-2016, 06:26 PM
(26-08-2016 05:31 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 08:29 AM)pablo Wrote:  I don't do much anymore, but I used to do all the stuff you listed. I hate drywall too.

OK you haters: I am packing up and heading to Baton Rouge to see if I can make a few bucks at drywall. All 60,000 of those houses that were underwater need to have the dry wall stripped out as well as the insulation and then the studs sprayed with bleach and new insulation installed and new drywall hung, taped, finished, primed and painted. Those who had insurance should be able to pay for it, and i started that specialty when Hurricane Andrew hit Florida during the first Bill Clinton Administration. Spent 18 months in Mississippi after Katrina and expect to net $1000 per week until after Christmas. Everybody has to do something, and I love that type of work. I'll probably be a bit slower at 70 years old than I was at 25 and 55, but I ain't dead yet. In Miss we had cards printed up saying we aren't real fast, we're just half fast! Half Fast Drywall!

Good for you, if you are able to do that, at 70 YO. Go rake in some cash! I never met a fat guy doing drywall. As I said before, I have done home construction from the ground up. I lost a bit of weight with all the digging and framing, etc., but when I hung and taped all that drywall, I completely lost my bay window (belly). If I worked two days a week hanging drywall, I bet that bay window would disappear again. Not sure I want to work that hard, ever again. I retired for a reason.
27-08-2016, 01:54 PM
I got my A&P ticket so I could repair my own airplane legally, albeit I got the ticket 30 years late (hard ticket to get when you have a full time job elsewhere), but I have always done all the work on my airplane, including its engine overhauls. Now semi-retired I've been able to cap the A&P with Inspection Authorization and keep an aero club's fleet running, and do other independent work. There's nothing exotic about airplanes, (because of the difficulty obtaining FAA authorization of engineering most of even the most modern lightplanes are not much more technologically advanced than than what was flying in the 1920s (the ignition is magneto driven, for example)). But because the stakes are high the degree of care is high - there are very few things in this world as sobering as pulling off a cowling and seeing that somebody just survived some mistake you made, but may not have. On the other hand there're are few things as satisfying as watching an airplane you made airworthy take flight - I never tire of that.
27-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Not really.
27-08-2016, 03:04 PM
(26-08-2016 05:31 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  OK you haters: I am packing up and heading to Baton Rouge to see if I can make a few bucks at drywall. All 60,000 of those houses that were underwater need to have the dry wall stripped out as well as the insulation and then the studs sprayed with bleach and new insulation installed and new drywall hung, taped, finished, primed and painted. Those who had insurance should be able to pay for it, and i started that specialty when Hurricane Andrew hit Florida during the first Bill Clinton Administration. Spent 18 months in Mississippi after Katrina and expect to net $1000 per week until after Christmas. Everybody has to do something, and I love that type of work. I'll probably be a bit slower at 70 years old than I was at 25 and 55, but I ain't dead yet. In Miss we had cards printed up saying we aren't real fast, we're just half fast! Half Fast Drywall!

I think Kingsy's house might be ready for drywall this week. Don't know if he's got help or not but I'm certain anyone in his neighborhood would need some extra help. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-08-2016, 03:57 AM
I am a recovering DIYer.
When I was younger and and almost as foolish as I am now, I cut trees, turned them into beams and boards and constructed a barn for our alpacas.
That taught me never to do anything like that again.

And I built a color TV back in the late 70's.
Fiddled with that damn thing to make it "perfect" all through the eighties.
I or my wife didn't get to see many whole TV shows all during the time the old Heathkit was operational. She put up with it and me.

Finally, bought a Sony and began my recovery ........
12-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Welcome to home ownership...

Our washer just recently started making a godawful racket the last few days in spin cycle. My research leaves me pretty confident that the rear tub bearings are going out and need replaced. It's a front loading machine.

The kicker is that the manufacturer doesn't sell the bearings by themselves and to have the repair done professionally it would end up costing more than the price of a new unit.

I have found a bearing and seal replacement kit online for under 50 bucks, but with my level of repair skills I'm looking at 6-8 hours of labor disassembling and reassembling the whole thing just to cross my fingers that it works. Of course it only takes 15 minutes on YouTube. Dodgy

But 50 bucks vs a grand is worth a shot.

I suppose I should be glad that it happened during my vacation time...

Wish me luck. Blush

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
12-09-2016, 06:52 PM
(12-09-2016 06:22 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Welcome to home ownership...

Our washer just recently started making a godawful racket the last few days in spin cycle. My research leaves me pretty confident that the rear tub bearings are going out and need replaced. It's a front loading machine.

The kicker is that the manufacturer doesn't sell the bearings by themselves and to have the repair done professionally it would end up costing more than the price of a new unit.

I have found a bearing and seal replacement kit online for under 50 bucks, but with my level of repair skills I'm looking at 6-8 hours of labor disassembling and reassembling the whole thing just to cross my fingers that it works. Of course it only takes 15 minutes on YouTube. Dodgy

But 50 bucks vs a grand is worth a shot.

I suppose I should be glad that it happened during my vacation time...

Wish me luck. Blush

Think of it as $100+ an hour and go for it. Worst that happens, you are out the $50 and some time, before you have to buy the new machine (IF you fail- my confidence is on you!). That bearing is a common failure point, BTW. I'd do the bearing replacement first, myself. Just take lots of photos, so that you will have a better chance at getting it back to what it looked like before you started. Even the manuals stink, as far as pictures go.

Back in '06, when I traveled a lot for my job, I came home for the long Thanksgiving Day weekend, only to find that the tub drain fitting was corroded and seeping (top loader). It would be a waste of time to try and repair that thing, given the age of the machine. We bought a front-loader Maytag (I was traveling, making tons of per diem money, which is tax-free). It's been there for 10 years, working fine. The amount of soap and water you have saved, depending on that machine's longevity, could pay for a new machine.