Do you DIY?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2016, 07:38 PM
RE: Do you DIY?
(12-09-2016 06:52 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(12-09-2016 06:22 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Welcome to home ownership...

Our washer just recently started making a godawful racket the last few days in spin cycle. My research leaves me pretty confident that the rear tub bearings are going out and need replaced. It's a front loading machine.

The kicker is that the manufacturer doesn't sell the bearings by themselves and to have the repair done professionally it would end up costing more than the price of a new unit.

I have found a bearing and seal replacement kit online for under 50 bucks, but with my level of repair skills I'm looking at 6-8 hours of labor disassembling and reassembling the whole thing just to cross my fingers that it works. Of course it only takes 15 minutes on YouTube. Dodgy

But 50 bucks vs a grand is worth a shot.

I suppose I should be glad that it happened during my vacation time...

Wish me luck. Blush

Think of it as $100+ an hour and go for it. Worst that happens, you are out the $50 and some time, before you have to buy the new machine (IF you fail- my confidence is on you!). That bearing is a common failure point, BTW. I'd do the bearing replacement first, myself. Just take lots of photos, so that you will have a better chance at getting it back to what it looked like before you started. Even the manuals stink, as far as pictures go.

Back in '06, when I traveled a lot for my job, I came home for the long Thanksgiving Day weekend, only to find that the tub drain fitting was corroded and seeping (top loader). It would be a waste of time to try and repair that thing, given the age of the machine. We bought a front-loader Maytag (I was traveling, making tons of per diem money, which is tax-free). It's been there for 10 years, working fine. The amount of soap and water you have saved, depending on that machine's longevity, could pay for a new machine.

That's good advice, taking pictures. I'll take a good picture of every item before I remove or disassemble it to make sure I don't forget a step in putting it back together.

The videos on YouTube are pretty good and step by step, so I'm fairly confident that I can handle it. A pair of snap ring pliers is all I should need to acquire as far as tools go. I've just never had to tackle a major repair like this on my own before so it's a little daunting...

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2016, 08:34 PM
(12-09-2016 07:38 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(12-09-2016 06:52 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Think of it as $100+ an hour and go for it. Worst that happens, you are out the $50 and some time, before you have to buy the new machine (IF you fail- my confidence is on you!). That bearing is a common failure point, BTW. I'd do the bearing replacement first, myself. Just take lots of photos, so that you will have a better chance at getting it back to what it looked like before you started. Even the manuals stink, as far as pictures go.

Back in '06, when I traveled a lot for my job, I came home for the long Thanksgiving Day weekend, only to find that the tub drain fitting was corroded and seeping (top loader). It would be a waste of time to try and repair that thing, given the age of the machine. We bought a front-loader Maytag (I was traveling, making tons of per diem money, which is tax-free). It's been there for 10 years, working fine. The amount of soap and water you have saved, depending on that machine's longevity, could pay for a new machine.

That's good advice, taking pictures. I'll take a good picture of every item before I remove or disassemble it to make sure I don't forget a step in putting it back together.

The videos on YouTube are pretty good and step by step, so I'm fairly confident that I can handle it. A pair of snap ring pliers is all I should need to acquire as far as tools go. I've just never had to tackle a major repair like this on my own before so it's a little daunting...

You're a mechanic, right? You'll knock this dead. Probably no worse than weaseling a convertor off when it's stuck to the front seal and the bushing is wiped.
12-09-2016, 09:36 PM
(12-09-2016 08:34 PM)Fireball Wrote:  You're a mechanic, right?

Big Grin

Oh sweet baby jesus no. I work in a shop, yes. I'm but a poor service advisor. The only thing I fix are broken customers who think it's our fault that their car is gonna need a few hundred dollars to repair. I leave the actual work to the guys in the shop that know what they are doing. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Well I did it....kinda. I tore that washer up from top to bottom, ready to pull the drum out and crack it open to get to the bearings. I had missesheathen come to help me pull the drum and she happens to find a handhold that feels like it has something in it. She pulls out a shredded sock...

Fuuuuuck...

Damn sock was caught in between the drum and front of the washer under the boot. Where it was I don't know if I could have found it without taking the thing apart or not, but there it was. It definitely accounted for some of the sound it was making, but who knows if the bearings are still good or not anyway, and I'm at the point that if they are bad it would be insane to put it all back together just to test but also risky to keep going and attempt to replace if they're still good and I end up fucking it up.

I decided that due to the lack of physical evidence that the bearings were indeed bad to go ahead and put it all back together and hope that I get it right.

All gaddamn afternoon...some vacation ...

But by golly I damn did it. Only one very minor leak from the main drain hose from the tub to the pump (but getting that thing on was the most frustrating part of the whole job, I don't remember the last time I violently cussed out an inanimate object, but this thing incurred my wrath...a small leak is acceptable and easily dealt with).

So all in all I performed a major operation on that fucking thing, whether it needed it or not. But I learned that I am more than capable.

And that feels pretty damn good. Cool

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
16-09-2016, 07:28 PM
(16-09-2016 06:21 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well I did it....kinda. I tore that washer up from top to bottom, ready to pull the drum out and crack it open to get to the bearings. I had missesheathen come to help me pull the drum and she happens to find a handhold that feels like it has something in it. She pulls out a shredded sock...

Fuuuuuck...

Damn sock was caught in between the drum and front of the washer under the boot. Where it was I don't know if I could have found it without taking the thing apart or not, but there it was. It definitely accounted for some of the sound it was making, but who knows if the bearings are still good or not anyway, and I'm at the point that if they are bad it would be insane to put it all back together just to test but also risky to keep going and attempt to replace if they're still good and I end up fucking it up.

I decided that due to the lack of physical evidence that the bearings were indeed bad to go ahead and put it all back together and hope that I get it right.

All gaddamn afternoon...some vacation ...

But by golly I damn did it. Only one very minor leak from the main drain hose from the tub to the pump (but getting that thing on was the most frustrating part of the whole job, I don't remember the last time I violently cussed out an inanimate object, but this thing incurred my wrath...a small leak is acceptable and easily dealt with).

So all in all I performed a major operation on that fucking thing, whether it needed it or not. But I learned that I am more than capable.

And that feels pretty damn good. Cool

Thumbsup Not much beats figuring out the problem and then solving it, all the while saving a ton of money.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
16-09-2016, 09:06 PM
My money is, you would have never spotted the sock or thought of even looking.
I have the old fashioned top loader, so I would not give it a thought. I have never seen a dryer eat anything like that.
Now you have the knowledge. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
16-09-2016, 09:32 PM
(16-09-2016 09:06 PM)skyking Wrote:  My money is, you would have never spotted the sock or thought of even looking.
I have the old fashioned top loader, so I would not give it a thought. I have never seen a dryer eat anything like that.

I wouldn't have, not from the godawful racket that thing was making in spin cycle. All Internet searches pointed to the bearings. But after the fact it all makes sense. Especially the black powder built up around the motor spindle I noticed as I took it off. Obviously from the belt rubbing as the tub fought it against turning. Again, I would suppose that a partially seized bearing would do the same thing so I didn't think much of it at the time, but now it makes even more sense.

~ Umberto Eco
16-09-2016, 10:09 PM
(16-09-2016 09:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 09:06 PM)skyking Wrote:  My money is, you would have never spotted the sock or thought of even looking.

I wouldn't have, not from the godawful racket that thing was making in spin cycle. All Internet searches pointed to the bearings. But after the fact it all makes sense. Especially the black powder built up around the motor spindle I noticed as I took it off. Obviously from the belt rubbing as the tub fought it against turning. Again, I would suppose that a partially seized bearing would do the same thing so I didn't think much of it at the time, but now it makes even more sense.

My wife used to drop the soap dispenser cup into the washing machine to get the rest of the soap out, instead of it slowly evaporating and thickening, despite my saying not to do that. No Then it got caught in between the drum and the door and shredded the seal between the drum and the body of the machine. Gasp There was some DIY, that day. Dodgy