Do you beleive in the death penalty?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2017, 02:03 PM
RE: Do you beleive in the death penalty?
(02-04-2017 11:40 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He could join Richie Ramirez, John Wayne Gacy, Zodiac killer, Dahlmer, Wurnos, and H.H. Holmes for dinner. He'd be the smartest one of the bunch (except for the Zodiac killer for obvious reasons).

H.H. Holmes probably being the least known of them all, but I think he would give Bundy a run for his money by todays standards. I mean who else designed a fully automatized murder hotel and got away with it for quite some time?

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2017, 02:42 PM
(02-04-2017 02:03 PM)abaris Wrote:  H.H. Holmes probably being the least known of them all, but I think he would give Bundy a run for his money by todays standards. I mean who else designed a fully automatized murder hotel and got away with it for quite some time?

Marcel Petiot was a French doctor and serial killer, multiple murderer (possibly 60 plus) active between 1926 to 1944, killed many by promising to help them escape the Nazis. Apprehended & convicted during the Nazi occupation of Paris.

Creepy guy. Had his own custom built lab & "treatment room".

Always watch out for those doctors ... if they know how to keep you alive, they know how to make sure you're dead. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
02-04-2017, 02:53 PM
(02-04-2017 02:03 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 11:40 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He could join Richie Ramirez, John Wayne Gacy, Zodiac killer, Dahlmer, Wurnos, and H.H. Holmes for dinner. He'd be the smartest one of the bunch (except for the Zodiac killer for obvious reasons).

H.H. Holmes probably being the least known of them all, but I think he would give Bundy a run for his money by todays standards. I mean who else designed a fully automatized murder hotel and got away with it for quite some time?

Anyone into true crime knows who HH Holmes is. But you also have to be interested in the historical too. Holmes time was the 19th century where many of the others mentioned have been within the lifetime of people here.

Holmes was also living in a time when there was far less communication and the tools police had at their disposal much more archaic. Choosing to murder people particularly during the time of the World's Fair was a great plan for him.

In Holmes day evading detection when the world wasn't such a small place wasn't as difficult.

Google it, there are several 'murder houses' in the history of serial killers.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-04-2017, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 03:17 PM by Anjele.)
(02-04-2017 02:42 PM)kim Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 02:03 PM)abaris Wrote:  H.H. Holmes probably being the least known of them all, but I think he would give Bundy a run for his money by todays standards. I mean who else designed a fully automatized murder hotel and got away with it for quite some time?

Marcel Petiot was a French doctor and serial killer, multiple murderer (possibly 60 plus) active between 1926 to 1944, killed many by promising to help them escape the Nazis. Apprehended & convicted during the Nazi occupation of Paris.

Creepy guy. Had his own custom built lab & "treatment room".

Always watch out for those doctors ... if they know how to keep you alive, they know how to make sure you're dead. Wink

And old ladies running 'nursing homes' who like to garden. edit - and boarding homes

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-04-2017, 09:05 PM
I'm against the death penalty. I feel that there are innocent people in jail, who could be wrongfully put to death. I also don't believe it is humane for the person being put to death or the person expected to carry it out. Just not a believer in ''eye for an eye,'' because it really doesn't change anything, and as far as I know, doesn't deter crime. So, all around, it seems like the wrong method of ''punishment,'' imo.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
02-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Doesn't the 'eye for an eye' concept come from the Bible you follow? The punishment should fit the crime. Or is it acceptable to pick and choose the verses that speak to you?

03-04-2017, 07:10 AM
The earliest recorded laws modeled after the "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" concept, and the term itself, came from the Code of Hammurabi. It did indeed make its way into the Bible several thousand years later.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
03-04-2017, 08:11 AM
I 'believe' in the death penalty in the sense that I accept that it exists.

I disagree with the death penalty for several reasons, chief among them being that you can't meaningfully exonerate a dead man.

Boru
[+] 2 users Like BrianSoddingBoru4's post
03-04-2017, 08:47 AM
(02-04-2017 08:15 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  I believe any deterrence reaction is only secondary to the public witnessing one enduring the legally enacted consequences for ones' actions.

What exactly is the value of the bolded phrase, other than deterrence? I see absolutely nothing. It's just deterrence expressed in different words.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
03-04-2017, 08:49 AM
(03-04-2017 07:10 AM)yakherder Wrote:  The earliest recorded laws modeled after the "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" concept, and the term itself, came from the Code of Hammurabi. It did indeed make its way into the Bible several thousand years later.

I was taught in 7th grade geography about the Code of Hammurabi and the "eye for an eye" crime & punishment model. Only much later was I made aware that it was also sucked up into bible lore. I've still never even attempted to find it referenced there.

Secular public education for the win! Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post