Do you beleive in the death penalty?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2017, 06:58 AM
RE: Do you beleive in the death penalty?
(03-04-2017 10:41 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  And no, the Bible doesn't teach eye for an eye, at least not in the NT. But, I'm not a fundamentalist, my faith isn't wrapped up in taking all of the Bible literally.

Exodus 21:22-25— "If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely[e] but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise".

Leviticus 24:19-22— "And whoever causes an injury to a neighbor must receive the same kind of injury in return: Broken bone for broken bone, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. Anyone who injures another person must be injured in the same way in return".

Deuteronomy 19:19-21— "Then do to the false witness as that witness intended to do to the other party. You must purge the evil from among you. The rest of the people will hear of this and be afraid, and never again will such an evil thing be done among you. Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot".

—You were saying? Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
04-04-2017, 07:42 AM
I don't believe in the death penalty.

Somebody once said, "if you follow an eye for an eye, soon there will be no eyes left to take". Killing a person doesn't stop others from killing, and killing a person for a crime they've committed doesn't put it right.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
04-04-2017, 07:56 AM
(04-04-2017 06:58 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 10:41 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  And no, the Bible doesn't teach eye for an eye, at least not in the NT. But, I'm not a fundamentalist, my faith isn't wrapped up in taking all of the Bible literally.

Exodus 21:22-25— "If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely[e] but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise".

Leviticus 24:19-22— "And whoever causes an injury to a neighbor must receive the same kind of injury in return: Broken bone for broken bone, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. Anyone who injures another person must be injured in the same way in return".

Deuteronomy 19:19-21— "Then do to the false witness as that witness intended to do to the other party. You must purge the evil from among you. The rest of the people will hear of this and be afraid, and never again will such an evil thing be done among you. Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot".

—You were saying? Dodgy

She did qualify her statement by adding "at least not in the NT". All your examples are OT.
04-04-2017, 02:50 PM
(03-04-2017 05:59 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Motherfucker on an atheist board for how long decides to word the question "do you believe?" Dodgy
That was my first reaction, too. Yes, I believe the death penalty exists. No, I don't think it should.
[+] 4 users Like John Derderian's post
04-04-2017, 08:41 PM
(30-03-2017 04:55 PM)beeglez Wrote:  My view on the death penalty keep changing. I have changed from pro-death penalty to anti-death penalty, and now am solidly at maybe for the most heinous violent crimes. I have a huge problem with the fallacies in our criminal justice system, and currently, my main objection to the death penalty is that it could be used on a wrongly convicted person. In cases where there is no doubt, I support it.

Just today, I saw a story of a 4 year old boy who was murdered by his mother's boyfriend. The man raped the child, and he bled to death from his injuries. The monster RAPED a 4 year old little boy to death! If there is no doubt as to his guilt, he needs to die. It might be morally wrong to kill him, but emotionally, I believe his life has far less value than the little boy he killed. I don't feel good about saying it, but I'd be fine with it if he was 'accidentally' release into the general population in jail and got raped to death by other inmates. The cognitive dissonance is strong for me here.

My take on the death penalty is multi faceted.

Is it an appropriate punishment for particularly vicious and depraved violent crimes and murders? Yes.

Is it prohibitively expensive to provide appropriate due process during trials and appeals of capital cases? Yes.

Is it justice? Yes, though entirely retributive in nature.

Is it currently applied fairly? No. Serious disparities associated with the legal system favoring wealthy and well connected defendants over poor ones or those belonging to minority groups make it's application capricious and arbitrary in its current state.

Is it cruel or unusual? Well that is debatable; most people who have been closely involved - even executioners like Albert Pierrepoint or Robert Eliot - have condemned the death penalty as useless and cruel. Most legal experts still see a lot of unresolved issues associated with its application.

Have innocent people been executed? Most likely, yes. Then again innocent people have died in prison while serving a life sentence as well and don't receive the added attention of capital offenders.

Does it deter crime? NO. Very little evidence suggests a deterrent effect from executions or any other kind of judicial punishment from the commission of violent crimes.

In my perfect world, there would not be capital punishment for people on the outside of prison walls. I would have the death penalty for murders committed behind prison walls and as a means to permanently nullify extremely violent and incurable offenders eg prison gang shot callers, enforcers, etc. This is done on the grounds that these people are behind prison walls because they already cannot work and play well with others on the outside and are now posing an immediate threat to other inmates and corrections staff. Execution of said offenders would make a permanent end to such troublemakers while being more humane than other corrections techniques such as long term solitary confinement.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
05-04-2017, 09:00 AM
(04-04-2017 08:41 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  My take on the death penalty is multi faceted.

Is it an appropriate punishment for particularly vicious and depraved violent crimes and murders? Yes.

Agreed. By killing another human being, a person abrogates his own right to life, as he's acted outside the the bounds of the society in which he lives, and cannot expect to be judged other than by those bounds.

Quote:Is it justice? Yes, though entirely retributive in nature.

Execution is, in my opinion, not entirely retributive. It also acts as a means of ensuring the perpetrator does not kill again.

Quote:Does it deter crime? NO. Very little evidence suggests a deterrent effect from executions or any other kind of judicial punishment from the commission of violent crimes.

I don't think this has been proved one way or the other yet.

... For instance, a 2003 study by Emory University researchers of data from more than 3,000 counties from 1977 through 1996 found that each execution, on average, resulted in 18 fewer murders per county.

A more recent study by Kenneth Land of Duke University and others concluded that, from 1994 through 2005, each execution in Texas was associated with “modest, short-term reductions” in homicides, a decrease of up to 2.5 murders.

And in 2009, researchers found that adopting state laws allowing defendants in child murder cases to be eligible for the death penalty was associated with an almost 20 percent reduction in rates of these crimes.

U.S. News & World Report

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
07-04-2017, 05:04 AM
My view on the death penalty has changed slightly over the past few months. I think it should be used in certain cases, such as war crimes, as long as there is absolutely no doubt that the person committed the crime. However data suggests that too many innocent people are put to death so a life sentence would probably be a better alternative.

In the case that you mentioned in your OP, that monster deserves to live the rest of his life in solitary.
08-04-2017, 03:14 PM
South Carolina Inmates Charged in Killings of 4 Other Prisoners

Both of these guys in for killing girlfriend and child. Just murdered four other inmates.

"The authorities said Mr. Simmons and Mr. Philip lured the four men into a cell on Friday morning and strangled them.”

"Mr. Philip was arrested in 2013 for killing his 26-year-old girlfriend and her 8-year-old daughter.”

"Mr. Simmons pleaded guilty in 2010 to the killing of a 45-year-old woman and her 13-year-old son in 2007”

Some people simply need to be removed from the land of the living sooner than later.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/08/us/so....html?_r=0

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
08-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Do you beleive in the death penalty?
(08-04-2017 03:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  South Carolina Inmates Charged in Killings of 4 Other Prisoners

Both of these guys in for killing girlfriend and child. Just murdered four other inmates.

"The authorities said Mr. Simmons and Mr. Philip lured the four men into a cell on Friday morning and strangled them.”

"Mr. Philip was arrested in 2013 for killing his 26-year-old girlfriend and her 8-year-old daughter.”

"Mr. Simmons pleaded guilty in 2010 to the killing of a 45-year-old woman and her 13-year-old son in 2007”

Some people simply need to be removed from the land of the living sooner than later.

Agreed. 100%
08-04-2017, 07:20 PM
(08-04-2017 03:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  South Carolina Inmates Charged in Killings of 4 Other Prisoners

Funny South Carolina has the death penalty and yet this still happened. Well golly it's almost like that makes not a single fucks worth of difference.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post