Do you beleive in the death penalty?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2017, 08:08 PM
RE: Do you beleive in the death penalty?
(08-04-2017 07:20 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 03:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  South Carolina Inmates Charged in Killings of 4 Other Prisoners

Both of these guys in for killing girlfriend and child. Just murdered four other inmates.

"The authorities said Mr. Simmons and Mr. Philip lured the four men into a cell on Friday morning and strangled them.”

"Mr. Philip was arrested in 2013 for killing his 26-year-old girlfriend and her 8-year-old daughter.”

"Mr. Simmons pleaded guilty in 2010 to the killing of a 45-year-old woman and her 13-year-old son in 2007”

Some people simply need to be removed from the land of the living sooner than later.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/08/us/so....html?_r=0

Funny South Carolina has the death penalty and yet this still happened. Well golly it's almost like that makes not a single fucks worth of difference.

B-but we need to pretend it does b-because emoootions!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Don't see an updated article yet, but one of the fuckheads in this article from a couple years ago just got sentenced to 15 years.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news...-documents

I'll say again that don't rationally support the death penalty. But I'd be lying if I said there weren't times I don't daydream.

Also, I just felt the need to arbitrarily remind everyone that yes, even in Ottawa, there are some assholes Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
08-04-2017, 11:38 PM
(08-04-2017 07:20 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 03:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  South Carolina Inmates Charged in Killings of 4 Other Prisoners

Both of these guys in for killing girlfriend and child. Just murdered four other inmates.

"The authorities said Mr. Simmons and Mr. Philip lured the four men into a cell on Friday morning and strangled them.”

"Mr. Philip was arrested in 2013 for killing his 26-year-old girlfriend and her 8-year-old daughter.”

"Mr. Simmons pleaded guilty in 2010 to the killing of a 45-year-old woman and her 13-year-old son in 2007”

Some people simply need to be removed from the land of the living sooner than later.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/08/us/so....html?_r=0

Funny South Carolina has the death penalty and yet this still happened. Well golly it's almost like that makes not a single fucks worth of difference.

SC is quite slow when it comes to carrying out the death penalty.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
09-04-2017, 10:51 AM
(08-04-2017 11:16 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Don't see an updated article yet, but one of the fuckheads in this article from a couple years ago just got sentenced to 15 years.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news...-documents

I'll say again that don't rationally support the death penalty. But I'd be lying if I said there weren't times I don't daydream.

Also, I just felt the need to arbitrarily remind everyone that yes, even in Ottawa, there are some assholes Big Grin

Sure, like how I daydream about highly inappropriate sexual acts all the time.

12-04-2017, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2017 02:10 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(05-04-2017 09:00 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 08:41 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  My take on the death penalty is multi faceted.

Is it an appropriate punishment for particularly vicious and depraved violent crimes and murders? Yes.

Agreed. By killing another human being, a person abrogates his own right to life, as he's acted outside the the bounds of the society in which he lives, and cannot expect to be judged other than by those bounds.

Quote:Is it justice? Yes, though entirely retributive in nature.

Execution is, in my opinion, not entirely retributive. It also acts as a means of ensuring the perpetrator does not kill again.

Quote:Does it deter crime? NO. Very little evidence suggests a deterrent effect from executions or any other kind of judicial punishment from the commission of violent crimes.

I don't think this has been proved one way or the other yet.

... For instance, a 2003 study by Emory University researchers of data from more than 3,000 counties from 1977 through 1996 found that each execution, on average, resulted in 18 fewer murders per county.

A more recent study by Kenneth Land of Duke University and others concluded that, from 1994 through 2005, each execution in Texas was associated with “modest, short-term reductions” in homicides, a decrease of up to 2.5 murders.

And in 2009, researchers found that adopting state laws allowing defendants in child murder cases to be eligible for the death penalty was associated with an almost 20 percent reduction in rates of these crimes.

U.S. News & World Report

I'd have to read how these figures of x number of murders are prevented by y number of executions; it strikes me as grasping at straws. One undeniable fact is that state with very high numbers of executions and/or harsh penal systems tend to have higher crime and murder rates. Violence breeds more violence, plain and simple. Or as I once heard a county sheriff tell a night club owner who was planning to hire some mean looking goons to bounce and keep order in his club: "If you have em, you're gonna need 'em." I think the same is true for the death penalty. And historically it's never deterred crime. During England's bloody code pickpockets used to work crowds at Tyburn gathered to watch the hanging of other pickpockets. Governments have tortured and executed people in public view in order to terrorize compliance with the sovereign's edicts with such displays without much success in deterring future crimes. Next weekend will be the memorial for a young Judean Revolutionary and philosopher who was crucified by the Romans in public 2000 years ago along with two other criminals. I'm sure there were a few people in the crowd that day who saw the mangled bodies nailed to crosses and could hear the screams yet still couldn't stay out of trouble and got themselves nailed up later on for some other crime. Maybe that's why executioners themselves have lamented that capital punishment is pointless and cruel.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
13-04-2017, 01:21 AM
I'm only against it because I don't believe in the criminal justice system holding that kind of power that can be so easily abused. Also the chance of killing an innocent person, imo, is too weighty to warrant the risk.

However, that doesn't mean that - in theory - I don't think child molesters, rapists, serial killers, etc. shouldn't be forcibly removed from society. I just think the risk of capital punishment is too great
[+] 1 user Likes ViolexTV's post
13-04-2017, 02:05 AM
(13-04-2017 01:21 AM)ViolexTV Wrote:  I'm only against it because I don't believe in the criminal justice system holding that kind of power that can be so easily abused. Also the chance of killing an innocent person, imo, is too weighty to warrant the risk.

However, that doesn't mean that - in theory - I don't think child molesters, rapists, serial killers, etc. shouldn't be forcibly removed from society. I just think the risk of capital punishment is too great

That's what long-sentence prison terms are for. They work far better than death penalty at the job due to being magnitudes cheaper, with the possibility of correction and reimbursement in the case of injustices.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
13-04-2017, 03:31 AM
I tried to do some sort of comparison with the US costing figures compared with Australian figures, but because we haven't hanged anybody since 1966, it's almost impossible to work out any execution v. life imprisonment costs.

According to the Washington State Office of Public Defense in 2011, the ballpark price tag of the death penalty in Washington State was $1.7 million, and approximately $35,897 a year per prisoner. The maths tells me that for a 30-year sentence, it costs around $1.08 million—not including variables, such as a devaluing dollar. Which, considering the small number of executions is neither here nor there.

Additionally, here in Australia, it costs more like US$76,000 per year to house a lifer—or twice as much as his US counterpart (but I don't know why). That equates to US$2.28 million over 30 years, which is way more than the projected cost of an execution.

And I know it's difficult from an ethical standpoint to equate dollar costs with a human life, but the murderer thought nothing of ending one.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
13-04-2017, 03:37 AM
(13-04-2017 03:31 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I tried to do some sort of comparison with the US costing figures compared with Australian figures, but because we haven't hanged anybody since 1966, it's almost impossible to work out any execution v. life imprisonment costs.

1967, I think it was. A prison escapee, Ronald Ryan, who shot a warden during his escape.

Far as I know, Australia more or less followed British law. You can't possibly compare both systems, since - at least Britain - didn't have this elaborate system of appeals that can take decades. Convicts spent only a few weeks or months on death row before they were hanged.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
13-04-2017, 08:18 AM
From the inside, I must admit that the gangs bother me more than the psychopaths. Trying to keep them locked up without simply throwing them all in segregation (where they can't force their bullshit on the general population) is a big part of what leads to minor offenders being criminalized rather than rehabilitated. The psychopathic killers who would generally be the first in line for execution, on the other hand, generally just keep to themselves.

'Murican Canadian