Do you beleive in the death penalty?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 10:05 AM
RE: Do you beleive in the death penalty?
I think framing it in economic terms is a loada shit. If it turns out to be cheaper to kill drug addicts than to put them in rehab we should do that?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
13-04-2017, 10:10 AM
(13-04-2017 10:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think framing it in economic terms is a loada shit. If it turns out to be cheaper to kill drug addicts than to put them in rehab we should do that?

It is a load of shit. But since this is one of the gut reactions of DP promoters, that it is cheaper, it's best to counter that anyway.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
13-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Not logical I know but the idea of executing people just leaves a really sour taste in my mouth and a hollow dread in the pit of my stomach, partly because of the zeal and relish with which DP promoters seem to conduct themselves, there's almost a sense of glee from them when it happens, I just hate it uggh horribleSad
13-04-2017, 10:23 AM
On that note, how should we handle inmate suicide? I spent 12 hours Monday night staring at an inmate on suicide watch. For clarification, when an inmate attempts or threatens to attempt suicide, our response (by mandate) is to immediately move them to segregation, give them a special shirt and mattress they can't pull apart and use to hang themselves, and post an officer to observe them until a psychologist determines they are not suicidal.

That means, at an absolute minimum, the second someone says "I don't know if I want to live anymore," we're looking at about $2,000 for a few days of an unscheduled post in addition to the already substantially higher cost of care within a segregated environment as compared to a general population environment. And many inmates go through this process repeatedly.

Should we just say fuck it and let them?

'Murican Canadian
13-04-2017, 10:37 AM
(13-04-2017 10:21 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Not logical I know but the idea of executing people just leaves a really sour taste in my mouth and a hollow dread in the pit of my stomach, partly because of the zeal and relish with which DP promoters seem to conduct themselves, there's almost a sense of glee from them when it happens, I just hate it uggh horribleSad

Look at the footage of the Ted Bundy execution sometimes. The one taken outside prison walls. People were celebrating as if their home team just scored for the championship. I get that nobody sheds a tear over the demise of a man like that, but actually cheering the ritualized death of a man plays in a totally different league.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
13-04-2017, 10:42 AM
(13-04-2017 10:37 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 10:21 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Not logical I know but the idea of executing people just leaves a really sour taste in my mouth and a hollow dread in the pit of my stomach, partly because of the zeal and relish with which DP promoters seem to conduct themselves, there's almost a sense of glee from them when it happens, I just hate it uggh horribleSad

Look at the footage of the Ted Bundy execution sometimes. The one taken outside prison walls. People were celebrating as if their home team just scored for the championship. I get that nobody sheds a tear over the demise of a man like that, but actually cheering the ritualized death of a man plays in a totally different league.
Ted Bundy is an extreme example but I take your point, however one sees this glee and delight in footage of persons murdered by the state who were not as extreme as Bundy that utterly disgusts me.
13-04-2017, 11:36 AM
(13-04-2017 10:23 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Should we just say fuck it and let them?

I say, absolutely not. This is the problem with running the justice system along cost driven lines.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.