Do you beleive in the death penalty?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2017, 04:23 AM
RE: Do you beleive in the death penalty?
(30-03-2017 07:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 07:16 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  I think the best middle ground death penalty sentence would be to perform a lobotomy and return the nice two year old mentality back to their family to care for.
Shutdown the capital offender by unplugging what makes him violent or whatever the offense that caused the sentence.
No?

So how do you undo this when new evidence comes up that the person whose brain you just raped turned out to be falsely accused?

Well you don't, but at least these souls are still alive and living a quite content existence. (or so I'm under the impression that these "patients" do live a pleasant minded life.)

There is a double homicide by Markeith Loyd whom murdered his pregnant girlfriend & police officer) in Fl. now of which there is zero question regarding his guilt.
Got the video folks.
Would he be difficult for anyone to convict and sentence to death? No new evidence could unfuc this prom queen.

These facts only add to the dysfunctional justice system outrage already letting the guilty go;

Markeith Loyd, 43, has a lengthy criminal history and has been arrested at least 20 times in Orange County since 1994. According to the Orlando Sentinel he was sentenced in 1999 to ten years in prison and five years probation for conspiracy with intent to distribute cocaine. He was sentenced in 2011 to 27 months in prison for possession of two ice pick-like, homemade weapons while in federal custody. Loyd was released and was taken off probation in 2014. Other charges that occurred in Florida include weapons, aggravated battery, trespassing and drugs.

On November 30, 2016, posted on his Facebook page, “Goals!!!! To be on Americas most wanted.”

You have to be odd to be #1.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2017, 04:44 AM
(31-03-2017 04:23 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 07:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So how do you undo this when new evidence comes up that the person whose brain you just raped turned out to be falsely accused?

Well you don't, but at least these souls are still alive and living a quite content existence. (or so I'm under the impression that these "patients" do live a pleasant minded life.)

You would make an excellent Templar.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2017, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2017 07:21 AM by EvieTheTurtle.)
No I don't believe in the death penalty... not just because there's no evidence that it's an effective method of reducing other offenders... but also because innocent people have received the death penalty before.

Oh and I also think it's barbaric.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like EvieTheTurtle's post
31-03-2017, 05:40 AM
I believe capital punishment is a near-total failure of criminal and justice theories, given that it has no strict benefits not supplied better by other, none retributive modes of punishment.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 6 users Like Free Thought's post
31-03-2017, 05:49 AM
Yeah I agree, FT. I'm super against the death penalty too. It makes zero sense to me on consequentalist grounds and I'm a consequentalist. I'm super anti-retributivism.

Great to see you by the way! I left AF and I hope here can be my new home Smile
31-03-2017, 06:23 AM
(31-03-2017 05:40 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I believe capital punishment is a near-total failure of criminal and justice theories, given that it has no strict benefits not supplied better by other, none retributive modes of punishment.

Oh look, it probably has some marginal benefits. But its negatives far outweigh any positives it has, starting with the fact that it's barbaric and inhumane. You'd need to have a massive benefit to overcome that one negative alone, and there just isn't one. Best-case scenario is that it provides a deterrent for serious crime - that's very difficult to measure and actually prove or disprove - but if there's a positive effect, it is only small, and most experts believe it provides no net deterrence above prison.

My Blog
[+] 2 users Like Aractus's post
31-03-2017, 06:45 AM
(31-03-2017 05:49 AM)EvieTheTurtle Wrote:  Great to see you by the way! I left AF and I hope here can be my new home Smile

Glad to see you too - Alasdair?

I'm not as much over there as I used to. Can't even say why in a few words, but this seems to be my new posting home. A nice one.

As for DP. Most arguments have already been made. It doesn't serve as a deterrent, it's an archaic and only revenge orientated punishment and sometimes innocents get caught in the so called wheels of justice. We know of 4 percent being wrongfully convicted on death row. But there's probably a lot more. The ones that can't afford first class legal teams or the ones not being sufficiently interesting or controversial in order for their cases to be picked up later by students or law firms.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
31-03-2017, 07:22 AM
Yep it's Alasdair Ham here.

Yeah I left a big post when I left this morning... but I still struggled to really explain. AF just doesn't feel the same anymore.
31-03-2017, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2017 07:36 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
(31-03-2017 04:23 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 07:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So how do you undo this when new evidence comes up that the person whose brain you just raped turned out to be falsely accused?

There is a double homicide by Markeith Loyd whom murdered his pregnant girlfriend & police officer) in Fl. now of which there is zero question regarding his guilt.
Got the video folks.
Would he be difficult for anyone to convict and sentence to death? No new evidence could unfuc this prom queen.

These facts only add to the dysfunctional justice system outrage already letting the guilty go;

Markeith Loyd, 43, has a lengthy criminal history and has been arrested at least 20 times in Orange County since 1994. According to the Orlando Sentinel he was sentenced in 1999 to ten years in prison and five years probation for conspiracy with intent to distribute cocaine. He was sentenced in 2011 to 27 months in prison for possession of two ice pick-like, homemade weapons while in federal custody. Loyd was released and was taken off probation in 2014. Other charges that occurred in Florida include weapons, aggravated battery, trespassing and drugs.

On November 30, 2016, posted on his Facebook page, “Goals!!!! To be on Americas most wanted.”

The problem is, even if we know one person is guilty, that still does not guarantee that the death penalty wouldn't eventually result in the death of an innocent person. It is nonsensical to allow any possibility of an innocent person being killed.
[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
31-03-2017, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2017 08:57 AM by kim.)
I don't think I would even say "I believe in" the death penalty as an institution - I would certainly say "I have confidence in" or "... no confidence in" it. For something that has been in place so Iong, it appears to have done just as much, if not more damage to the human psyche and various justice systems, which it has been in place to support.

I have zero confidence that the death penalty is in any way a deterrant to serious, violent crime. Specifically in the US, having the death penalty in a state does not lower the murder rate.

Does putting several people (or even one person) to death, make other people not want to kill? Interesting scare tactic - seems to assume quite a lot.

Let's try it: "Thou shall not kill" - oh and, not only will you die but, you will burn forever after you die. Kind of a double death penalty, there. Fast forward a couple thousand years... how is that working out? So far, so good? Did we save any lives? Or did we just kill more people and manipulate others to follow an outdated, traditional reasoning?

I live in a state with federal facilities, the average cost for just the defense at trial in a federal death penalty case is about 8 times that of a non-capital murder case. Not that it's part of my reasoning but, one has to wonder if there is any value at all to capital punishment as an institution.

[/My three cents] Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 6 users Like kim's post