Do you beleive in the death penalty?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2017, 04:33 PM
RE: Do you beleive in the death penalty?
(31-03-2017 04:25 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  Okay guess we'll disagree then.
Yeah, I'm old school. I grew up in a generation where there there could be "grave" consequences for one's actions. No revenge here!?? Sadcryface Its simply the advertised price one willingly accepts to do the horrific deed(s) your sweet little predatory heart desires / deserves.
So WhyTF would we not follow through given you knew that cost going in?

So are you for raping rapists also? The punishment obviously should mirror the crime in your opinion.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2017, 04:35 PM
(31-03-2017 04:25 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 10:58 AM)abaris Wrote:  In short, a revenge killing. It serves no other purpose. That's an established fact.

Okay guess we'll disagree then.
Yeah, I'm old school. I grew up in a generation where there there could be "grave" consequences for one's actions. No revenge here!?? Sadcryface Its simply the advertised price one willingly accepts to do the horrific deed(s) your sweet little predatory heart desires / deserves.

Plus the single most awesome purpose I think it does serve (IMO) is it does permanently removes any fuc'n chance of you ever getting out and doing it again. Consider
I find that a comforting thought; confounds me how you don't.

I understand that perspective. There is a part of me, primal I think, that says certain people, Timothy McVeigh comes immediately to mind, deserve to be drawn and quartered. And I have no doubts about some of these guys. But if the price is the risk, very demonstrable, of taking out some innocent party, it's not a worthwhile trade-off in my books.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
31-03-2017, 04:41 PM
(31-03-2017 04:25 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 10:58 AM)abaris Wrote:  In short, a revenge killing. It serves no other purpose. That's an established fact.

Okay guess we'll disagree then.

Plus the single most awesome purpose I think it does serve (IMO) is it does permanently removes any fuc'n chance of you ever getting out and doing it again. Consider
I find that a comforting thought; confounds me how you don't.

I was hoping to get more feedback on the lobotomy suggestion. So the bastards still alive but effectively "neutered" from his / her bad ways & inabilities to cope or control or whatever the fuc.

1. As others have pointed out, innocent people are convicted sometimes. Maybe this is rare, but absolute certainty as to someone's guilt is probably equally rare. Whenever there is a question, I'd much rather err on the side of caution. You can't undo an execution or a lobotomy.

2. Life sentence without parole also effectively permanently removes the chance of a person ever getting out and doing it again. And unlike your preferred options, it has the bonus of being reversible if the "guilty" party is later found to be innocent.

3. Most importantly, two wrongs don't make a right. If killing is wrong, it's wrong for the state as well as for an individual.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
31-03-2017, 04:48 PM
(31-03-2017 04:41 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  1. As others have pointed out, innocent people are convicted sometimes. Maybe this is rare, but absolute certainty as to someone's guilt is probably equally rare. Whenever there is a question, I'd much rather err on the side of caution. You can't undo an execution or a lobotomy.

4 percent are documented to have been wrongfully convicted. But we all know the number's probably higher. It may look fine and dandy if you're not on the receiving end of a wrongful conviction. But everyone has to ask themselves if even a 4 percent chance of innocently ending up on death row seems an acceptable risk to take.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
31-03-2017, 04:57 PM
(30-03-2017 04:55 PM)beeglez Wrote:  Just today, I saw a story of a 4 year old boy who was murdered by his mother's boyfriend. The man raped the child, and he bled to death from his injuries. The monster RAPED a 4 year old little boy to death! If there is no doubt as to his guilt, he needs to die. It might be morally wrong to kill him, but emotionally, I believe his life has far less value than the little boy he killed.
I think what you are suggesting is a revenge killing, because it will make you feel good.

Personally I am all for death penalty if it is used for the purpose of keeping society safe rather than as punishment for some transgression.
If someone is likely to be going out and raping people as soon as they are out of prison, then rather than spend money on locking them up for life, why not simply put them down?
Of course for this to be worth doing we need to make the process of death penalty far cheaper. At the moment they get the best lawyers money can buy, at the expense of the state, and this ends up costing more than keeping them in prison forever.

Perhaps as a way to claw back some of the cost of death penalty we could harvest their organs and sell on the market.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
31-03-2017, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2017 07:14 PM by BackSlider.)
(31-03-2017 04:33 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 04:25 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  Okay guess we'll disagree then.

So are you for raping rapists also? The punishment obviously should mirror the crime in your opinion.
What??
Okay- Ive been drinking a tad this evening, so best keep this simple and on just the death penalty (and the thread's intent?)
I still need your direct reply on:
if the convicted knows the price for going into his actions, why would YOU puzzy out on following through with the consequences?

Hey That's the deal in Florida, why break it?Blink

You have to be odd to be #1.
31-03-2017, 05:55 PM
(31-03-2017 05:50 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 04:33 PM)abaris Wrote:  So are you for raping rapists also? The punishment obviously should mirror the crime in your opinion.
What??
Okay- Ive been drinking a tad this evening, so best keep this simple and on just the death penalty (and the thread's intent?)
I still need your direct reply on:
if the convicted knows the price for going into his actions, why would YOU puzzy out on following through with the consequences?

Hey That's the fuc'n deal in Florida, why break it?Blink

Because, as pointed out, conviction does not always correspond to factual guilt.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
31-03-2017, 06:36 PM
(31-03-2017 05:55 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Because, as pointed out, conviction does not always correspond to factual guilt.

So you wouldn't even be satisfied with more than a thousand independent eye-witness accounts of someone killing six people (as per my Bourke St mall, Melbourne example?) for a call for the death sentence?

Plus the weapon and the six bodies. Plus photographic evidence recorded at the crime scene...

[Image: nl_bourke_st_murder_accused-a7hbdmuv23eb...60x345.jpg]

[Image: melbourne-cdb-horror-1.jpg]

—What more evidence of guilt would you want?

Sad

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
31-03-2017, 06:49 PM
(31-03-2017 06:36 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 05:55 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Because, as pointed out, conviction does not always correspond to factual guilt.

So you wouldn't even be satisfied with more than a thousand independent eye-witness accounts of someone killing six people (as per my Bourke St mall, Melbourne example?) for a call for the death sentence?

Plus the weapon and the six bodies. Plus photographic evidence recorded at the crime scene...

[Image: nl_bourke_st_murder_accused-a7hbdmuv23eb...60x345.jpg]

[Image: melbourne-cdb-horror-1.jpg]

—What more evidence of guilt would you want?

Sad

I have already pointed out that some cases are cut and dry and I feel like the culprits ought to pay for it; in fact preferably right there on the spot without due process. But I understand and am sympathetic to the arguments against it. Most death sentence cases have nothing approaching this level of clarity.

[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
31-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Some people are wrongfully convicted and it costs more.
So no, I'm not for it. Plus there's the whole "we're not North Korea" argument, though I'm not big on the sanctuary of life so I don't care for that argument.