Do you believe in Capital Punishment?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2012, 09:18 AM
RE: Do you believe in Capital Punishment?
(26-03-2012 07:05 AM)bemore Wrote:  If my parents hadnt of died then I wouldnt of been put in the position I was....... So there death did have something to do with it and when your 15 and totally alone and having to grow up sharpish to survive and get put into circumstances that you dont want to be in you have to face some very tough decisions. Im not making excuses up but there is allways a contributing factor to why things happen.

Do I want to know how you make up for things you did??? By not doing them???

So you have never made any mistakes whatsoever in your life...... you have absoloutley no regrets...... you have never said a harsh word to a loved one....... you have never lashed out in anger????

With regards to siblings...... lets say you had the best father/mother/brother/sister in the world and they got into a fight sticking up for an old person getting robbed or something. They punch the attacker and kill them..... obv not wanting to kill them.

By your reckoning you would stand by and support them getting executed........ come on dude, your making it all out to be so simple, so "cut and shut" when this is not the case for this massive topic whatsoever.

Use some empathy.
I grew up with alcoholics for parents so I don't want to hear about being put into a bad situation, let me think if I have any regrets here. I do kind of regret not going hiking more often... other than that I have nothing I can think of at the moment. As for loved ones, I'm a stoic philosopher, the only loved one I'll ever have is going to have be an incredibly intelligent female tomboy. With regards to my siblings they were older than me so they usually ended up kicking my ass until I grew older. That's the way to live your life though, live it so you won't have any regrets when you die... and the only way to ensure that is by making sure you do nothing you'll regret.

Accidents and self defense is not murder, in this case it would be an accident which resulted by self defense. No charges could be pushed. It's quite clear when you use some common sense.

As for empathy, I have a lot of that. Just not for rapists or murderers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2012, 09:24 AM
(24-03-2012 06:15 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I appose capital punishment. It is all about revenge, and very little about justice. I fail to see how killing a person, in any circumstance other than self-defense, can be justified.

(24-03-2012 05:53 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  I would like to disagree with you here, I think executing murderers and rapists will indeed stop people from doing those crimes. Dead people can not commit any more crimes. They are dead, and no longer a threat.

Capital punishment does not deter crime. The U.S has one of the highest crime rates out of any Westernized country, and it is one of the few with the death penalty still in play.

Capital punishment most certainly works. Look at Singapore's drug laws or any law in Islamic countries. However, as long as we live in a judicial system that allows innocent people to be convicted I am vehemotely against the death penalty. If one innocent person is executed I don't feel it's worth 1000000 guilty deaths.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-03-2012, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2012 09:45 AM by Logica Humano.)
(26-03-2012 09:18 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  
(26-03-2012 07:05 AM)bemore Wrote:  If my parents hadnt of died then I wouldnt of been put in the position I was....... So there death did have something to do with it and when your 15 and totally alone and having to grow up sharpish to survive and get put into circumstances that you dont want to be in you have to face some very tough decisions. Im not making excuses up but there is allways a contributing factor to why things happen.

Do I want to know how you make up for things you did??? By not doing them???

So you have never made any mistakes whatsoever in your life...... you have absoloutley no regrets...... you have never said a harsh word to a loved one....... you have never lashed out in anger????

With regards to siblings...... lets say you had the best father/mother/brother/sister in the world and they got into a fight sticking up for an old person getting robbed or something. They punch the attacker and kill them..... obv not wanting to kill them.

By your reckoning you would stand by and support them getting executed........ come on dude, your making it all out to be so simple, so "cut and shut" when this is not the case for this massive topic whatsoever.

Use some empathy.
I grew up with alcoholics for parents so I don't want to hear about being put into a bad situation, let me think if I have any regrets here. I do kind of regret not going hiking more often... other than that I have nothing I can think of at the moment. As for loved ones, I'm a stoic philosopher, the only loved one I'll ever have is going to have be an incredibly intelligent female tomboy. With regards to my siblings they were older than me so they usually ended up kicking my ass until I grew older. That's the way to live your life though, live it so you won't have any regrets when you die... and the only way to ensure that is by making sure you do nothing you'll regret.

Accidents and self defense is not murder, in this case it would be an accident which resulted by self defense. No charges could be pushed. It's quite clear when you use some common sense.

As for empathy, I have a lot of that. Just not for rapists or murderers.
The principle is not for you to have empathy for the murderers and rapists. The inevitable question is "when is it ever right to kill a person."

(26-03-2012 09:24 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(24-03-2012 06:15 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I appose capital punishment. It is all about revenge, and very little about justice. I fail to see how killing a person, in any circumstance other than self-defense, can be justified.

Capital punishment does not deter crime. The U.S has one of the highest crime rates out of any Westernized country, and it is one of the few with the death penalty still in play.

Capital punishment most certainly works. Look at Singapore's drug laws or any law in Islamic countries. However, as long as we live in a judicial system that allows innocent people to be convicted I am vehemotely against the death penalty. If one innocent person is executed I don't feel it's worth 1000000 guilty deaths.

I find it funny how these examples are all under Sharia Law.

You can go ahead and look at the statistics in the U.S.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
26-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:The principle is not for you to have empathy for the murderers and rapists. The inevitable question is "when is it ever right to kill a person."
I can think of quite a few instances.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
26-03-2012, 10:18 AM
(26-03-2012 09:50 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  
Quote:The principle is not for you to have empathy for the murderers and rapists. The inevitable question is "when is it ever right to kill a person."
I can think of quite a few instances.
Other than defense, tell me.

26-03-2012, 10:21 AM
(26-03-2012 09:24 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I find it funny how these examples are all under Sharia Law.

If you started cutting off thieves hands, beating MJ smokers with bamboo, or putting people to death for a gram of heroin I guarantee crime would go down. Even in the US.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-03-2012, 11:17 AM
(26-03-2012 10:21 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(26-03-2012 09:24 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I find it funny how these examples are all under Sharia Law.

If you started cutting off thieves hands, beating MJ smokers with bamboo, or putting people to death for a gram of heroin I guarantee crime would go down. Even in the US.
Brutality? Yes. Capital Punishment? No.

26-03-2012, 01:07 PM
(26-03-2012 10:18 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(26-03-2012 09:50 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  I can think of quite a few instances.
Other than defense, tell me.
I have no problem with capital punishment of completely irretrievably morally damaged individuals who will never be productive members of society and who will only be a drain. I think these people have the problem of not being fit to join society ever again because they'd be too dangerous, and if society doesn't want to pay for their upkeep for decades to come then what? I have heard of several cases that were absolutely atrocious and I don't want to pay for these people's room and board. Being part of society isn't a given, it's a privilege that can be revoked. Centuries ago we had penal colonies to send these rejects, we just dumped their sorry behinds there and let them live their miserable existences (see Australia) off. Now we have no place to put them, so good bye and good riddance.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
26-03-2012, 01:34 PM
(26-03-2012 01:07 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  
(26-03-2012 10:18 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Other than defense, tell me.
I have no problem with capital punishment of completely irretrievably morally damaged individuals who will never be productive members of society and who will only be a drain. I think these people have the problem of not being fit to join society ever again because they'd be too dangerous, and if society doesn't want to pay for their upkeep for decades to come then what? I have heard of several cases that were absolutely atrocious and I don't want to pay for these people's room and board. Being part of society isn't a given, it's a privilege that can be revoked. Centuries ago we had penal colonies to send these rejects, we just dumped their sorry behinds there and let them live their miserable existences (see Australia) off. Now we have no place to put them, so good bye and good riddance.
The argument is not about the cost, if you read the OP. It is about the morality of killing people. It is hypocritical to kill a person because you do not believe in killing.

[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
26-03-2012, 06:57 PM
(26-03-2012 09:24 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The principle is not for you to have empathy for the murderers and rapists. The inevitable question is "when is it ever right to kill a person."
Right now? Death is just a natural phenomenon. When people become a danger to society it's necessary to get rid of them. People die every day, you should get used to that fact. Drinking Beverage