Do you believe in bad omens? Do you ever do rituals before an event?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Do you believe in bad omens? Do you ever do rituals before an event?
I know this basically falls into the category of luck and superstition, but I figure I'd ask them anyways.

Do you believe in "signs" or "bad omens"? Like if you and your friends are about to embark on a long road trip and you've got everything together and you're about to leave and you discover that you have a flat tire or the engine won't start. Is that a "bad sign" of things to come? I know we probably all recognize the truth in retrospect, but how about just for that moment? That split second after you go, "this is gonna be a good day" and then you sprain your ankle and knock over your flat screen tv?

Next, do any of you do anything that may be interpreted as lucky or something you do before every specific event? Do you wear your lucky socks to play a sporting event or kiss your necklace before scratching off a lottery ticket? I notice that pretty much every college sports team does something; touch a sign, rub the statues head, etc before heading out to the field. Personally, I do certain order of things while bowling (wipe the ball, pull up my sleeve, take a breath, roll), but that's because they say to get into a routine so that each roll is the same.

Just wondering.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2012, 12:06 AM
RE: Do you believe in bad omens? Do you ever do rituals before an event?
I often do things like that before a final exam, but more than luck I think I do it to diverge some responsibility for the outcome of the exam to the universal energy so I can have some peace of mind and actually focus on what I have to do. All our finals are oral so they're quite stressful :O

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
02-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Not really. Everything is just simple probability, which usually cannot be affected.

"Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and the truth." Kosh Naranek
02-10-2012, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 02:44 AM by depat.)
I lost my dearest friend of 15 years over a series of spectacularly bad and bazaar events that happened over a period of three years in my life. The last time I saw her, we were riding in my car, and I was telling her about why my car looked as it did.

I told her a large ball of cement came out of nowhere (actually there was a construction site near the freeway) and crashed into my car while driving on a freeway. She went berserk, yelling at me that god was throwing rocks at me, and I was on a downward path to hell. Then she said she was trying to settle down to start a family and could not afford a jinx in her life.

I simply looked at her in astonishment. She told me she was serious. I'm telling you this came out of nowhere as there was never any indication she was so superstitious. I never saw her again and miss her to this day, but I don't want anymore like her in my life.
[+] 1 user Likes depat's post
02-10-2012, 02:14 AM
(02-10-2012 01:48 AM)depat Wrote:  I lost my dearest friend of 15 years over a series of spectacularly bad and bazaar events that happened over a period of three years in my life. The last time I saw her, we were ridding in my car, and I was telling her about why my car looked as it did. I told her a large ball of cement came out of nowhere (actually there was a construction site near the freeway) and crashed into my car while driving on a freeway. She went berserk, yelling at me that god was throwing rocks at me, and I was on a downward path to hell. Then she said she was trying to settle down to start a family and could not afford a jinx in her life. I simply looked at her in astonishment. She told me she was serious. I'm telling you this came out of nowhere as there was never any indication she was so superstitious. I never saw her again and miss her to this day, but I don't want anymore like her in my life.

Erm... Lost?

Lost as in misplaced?
Lost as in parted ways?
Lost as in fatally departed?

Whichever, that is truly strange behaviour.

02-10-2012, 02:19 AM
Bud,

Of all the parties, trips, relationships etc. that you most remember, which ones are the most memorable?

I reckon, the ones where everything went wrong.

Those are the ones that are the stuff of legends.

Bad omens? Bring 'em on.

Anyway, nowadays on a road trip "signs" are less relevant than they used to be. We've all got GPS.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
02-10-2012, 05:26 AM
"Future" is only a simulation. There ain't no "sign." There are trends and indicators, but the only time bad shit happens is now. And if you focus on bad shit, you're gonna see bad shit. Undecided

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2012, 06:47 AM
No and no. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-10-2012, 06:55 AM
I ritually get dressed before going outdoors. Call me crazy, but I find that when I've performed this ritual, I don't get stopped by the Police.

As for bad omens, well, everything is horrible, so I struggle to see the signs of horrible things happening any more.
[+] 4 users Like caffeinesoul's post
02-10-2012, 07:08 AM
I find it Ironic when people loose lucky charms.... not so lucky then are they Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post