Do you believe in bad omens? Do you ever do rituals before an event?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2012, 07:45 AM
RE: Do you believe in bad omens? Do you ever do rituals before an event?
I don't believe in that hokey shit dude.

I wake up, sacrifice two virgins and a wet goat before I drink three vials of newborn blood every morning just like every other normal person. Who has time for superstitious bullshit? Keep it real man.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like lucradis's post
02-10-2012, 08:06 AM
I have a friend who has the omens thing coupled with numbers. I've never seen someone so afflicted on the issue. It's like ass backwards numerology.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
02-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Luc, try using a dry goat in the mornings, and sacrificing your wet goat in the evening. I find it really improves the weather.

...Ya, it's all woo to me.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-10-2012, 08:36 AM
After that one time, I always check my fly before giving a speech.

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 2 users Like PeterKA's post
03-10-2012, 11:24 AM
When I was young, I had pretty out of control OCD. I mean BAAAD stuff. For those of you who have never experienced true OCD (not the colloquial kind that far too many people like to pretend they have), I assure you, it's a living hell. Remember "Don't step on the crack or you break your mother's back" that we used to say in grade-school as we walked down the halls? Well imagine that cute little rhyme (and the fun hopping game that it inspired) taken as literal fact in your mind. The delusion that if you step on the crack - or perhaps a specified number of cracks in sequence - something bad will happen to you or to someone you love. Or, imagine a child, innocently playing a Super Mario Bros. video game and driving himself mad because he feels an overpowering urge to collect ALL of the gold coins; lest his father die trying to put out a house fire. More humiliating than either of those, however, is the urge to stop, take 4 or 5 steps backward, then continue walking as you stroll through the mall with your friends, because when you took that last step, you happened to be thinking of something sad or unsettling, and in order to prevent it becoming a reality by literally "walking forth" into that line of reasoning; you have to reverse your steps, imagine something more calming or joyful, and then proceed forward with THOSE thoughts in mind. Maybe you're in school as a child and, as you write word problems and math equasions in your textbook, you're unable to supress the drive to tap the pen X-number of times at the end of each sentence; making what should have been a "period" into a scribbled mess.

Perhaps the most emotionally torturous part of all of this is the fact that you're constantly aware that what you're doing has no actual impact on reality. You know full-well that the feelings and thoughts that cause you to act as you do are unfounded, and your actions are completely pointless. But you do them anyway (and become emotionally unhinged if you're prevented from doing so), because you feel such a deeply-seeded drive within you to do them. Thankfully, I grew out of this disorder when I entered my teens. Or, if I didn't actually grow out of it, it's certainly manifested itself in a completely unnoticable way.

Because of my experience, though, I can personally attest to the obvious parallels that can be drawn between OCD and superstitious behavior. Superstition is agenticity, patternicity and (this is only MY claim, mind you) OCD-type reasoning gone out of control.

No, there are no fucking omens. There are no magic little rituals that will have any impact on one's performance or the outcome of an event. If there is any effect whatsoever, it is purely psychological. Meaning; you believed doing X before a certain activity would help your performance, which, in turn, eased your mind and allowed you to do that activity more effectively. X was nothing more than a placebo.

Be serious.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
05-10-2012, 02:26 AM
I don't believe in this kind of thing. However, I do always wear my 'lucky socks' for every Tottenham Hotspur football (or soccer if you are annoying) match. I wore them last Saturday and we beat Manchester United for the first time in years. Coincidence or magic socks? I'll wear them for this weekend's game just in case...
[+] 1 user Likes soodal's post
05-10-2012, 03:50 AM
(05-10-2012 02:26 AM)soodal Wrote:  I don't believe in this kind of thing. However, I do always wear my 'lucky socks' for every Tottenham Hotspur football (or soccer if you are annoying) match. I wore them last Saturday and we beat Manchester United for the first time in years. Coincidence or magic socks? I'll wear them for this weekend's game just in case...

If anything, a player knowing that he's wearing lucky socks are lucky jockstrap gives him confidence. And the player who can't stop thinking that he forgot his lucky gloves is distracted and hesitant. It's a placebo that may actually cause you to win.

And likewise an army that truly believes they are blessed by God is certain to win. After all those three eagles flying overhead are clear omens of God's will. Apparently, we make our own luck.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
05-10-2012, 06:17 AM
I don't know about omens... But I think I unwillingly sacrificed my virginity for some tacos... Damn awesome tacos....Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
05-10-2012, 06:22 AM
.... bad omens....

OKay .... for a short time there.. was all into the throw salt over yer shoulder should ya spill it.....

.... what a fuckin' retard i was...

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
05-10-2012, 07:44 AM
I didn't, not because I'm oh so much more rational that everyone else, but because it's just not part of my culture growing up. My extended family, and the kids in my school, had a habit of crossing themselves. When they noticed I didn't do it, they asked me if I was a Jehova's Witness. Dafuq?

Do any of the ex-catholics here still cross themselves as a kind of reflex thing? Like the way I still sometimes say "Jesus Christ" without thinking?
Enquiring minds need to know.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor