Do you believe in bad omens? Do you ever do rituals before an event?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2012, 08:41 AM
RE: Do you believe in bad omens? Do you ever do rituals before an event?
(01-10-2012 11:15 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I know this basically falls into the category of luck and superstition, but I figure I'd ask them anyways.

Do you believe in "signs" or "bad omens"? Like if you and your friends are about to embark on a long road trip and you've got everything together and you're about to leave and you discover that you have a flat tire or the engine won't start. Is that a "bad sign" of things to come? I know we probably all recognize the truth in retrospect, but how about just for that moment? That split second after you go, "this is gonna be a good day" and then you sprain your ankle and knock over your flat screen tv?

Next, do any of you do anything that may be interpreted as lucky or something you do before every specific event? Do you wear your lucky socks to play a sporting event or kiss your necklace before scratching off a lottery ticket? I notice that pretty much every college sports team does something; touch a sign, rub the statues head, etc before heading out to the field. Personally, I do certain order of things while bowling (wipe the ball, pull up my sleeve, take a breath, roll), but that's because they say to get into a routine so that each roll is the same.

Just wondering.

1. of course I believe in signs, I see them all the time! "50 KPH", "Road works ahead" "watch for Kangaroos/bike riders/children crossing the road" they're everywhere....

Seriously though, I don't believe in signs like the flat tire you mention. In similar cases, wherein something goes wrong I usually say something along the lines of "I can tell this is going to be a great day!" or, if I am around others "Well, that's foreboding." sarcastically and get on with whatever I am supposed to be doing. Frankly I find the notions of omens silly. Though I will concede in some cases little events have been known hint at & precede bigger events...

2. I think those are called simulacrums (simulacra?)... In any case, as far as I am aware, I don't have any.

As for something I do before every specific event, does taking my glasses off before my daily "sleep event" count?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Rituals, actually even back in my witch days I kept explaining to people in general and to my own student that most things in our lives are rituals. Ok, back than I kept it on a magical note but nowadays I just think that some rituals give us a safe feeling.
Ok first claim made by me, most stuff in live are rituals:
Example 1: Getting up in the morning, using the toilet, washing yourself, getting clothed
Example 2: Bringing the kid to bed, giving it a glass of milk, reading a story, putting blanket on, kiss, lights off, "good night"
Example 3: Getting in the car, putting seatbelt on, putting key in and foots on break and clutch, starting engine, hand breaks off, checking mirrors and blind angle, and off you go.
and so on and so forth.
Second claim made by me about safe feeling.
Example 1: Before going on stage, sitting down in a quiet corner, closing eyes, going through the lines. > Calms you down because you know you remember what you have to say.
Example 2: Writing a cheat slip before a test (but not using it). > Works because you went through all the material and thought about it so well that you actually have it in your head now. So even having it in your pocket you feel safer although you are not using it.
Example 3: When leaving the house, checking the door once more after locking. > Calms you down because you know that you locked it and don't just think so.

So yeah, if someone wants to knock on wood, spit over your shoulder, makes a cross... hey, whatever works for them.

Same for omens. Look up self fulfilling prophecy.
You trip in the morning and are like "wow this day starts great" and then you knock over a vase, you come late to work, you sign something you shouldn't have signed, you are rude to a cutomer, on the way home you get a speeding ticket, at home you burn dinner, and then you shower to hot.
The tripping in the morning was simply a set off. You were already in a bad mood, and as you could not snap youself out of it and probably do believe in bad omens, you where sloppy and careless and self consumed, and that is why all the other stuff happened.

So no, I don't believe in these things on a supernatural level, but I know about them on psychological level.

@Misanthropik: I am with you man... I had that too. Cracks in the floor, numbers of chews on each side while you eat, crossing the road only there and nowhere else, stepping on leafes, washing hands, starting with the correct foot/hand, and many more. Takes so much time and energy, and for what? For nothing. You feel like an idiot while doing it but still can't stop. So glad that's over!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:rit·u·al [rich-oo-uhl]
noun
an established or prescribed procedure for a religious or other rite.
a system or collection of religious or other rites.
observance of set forms in public worship.
a book of rites or ceremonies.
a book containing the offices to be used by priests in administering the sacraments and for visitation of the sick, burial of the dead, etc.

Quote:rou·tine [roo-teen]
noun
a customary or regular course of procedure.
commonplace tasks, chores, or duties as must be done regularly or at specified intervals; typical or everyday activity: the routine of an office.
regular, unvarying, habitual, unimaginative, or rote procedure.
an unvarying and constantly repeated formula, as of speech or action; convenient or predictable response: Don't give me that brotherly-love routine!
Computers .
a.
a complete set of coded instructions directing a computer to perform a series of operations.
b.
a series of operations performed by the computer.

Unless you consider waking up and getting ready for work, dressing up for a date, or preparing for a party as a religious experience, I'd use a different word. The usage of the word "ritual" is common for cult/religious worship. I wake up and continue with my daily routine, not my daily ritual.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 3 users Like Logica Humano's post
05-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Logica, I was talking pedagocal terms, sorry if I did not make that clear. Because the word "ritual" is used as exactly what I explained in pedagogical talk. At least in Germany and in German.

05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Ugh... English. Dodgy

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
05-10-2012, 11:02 AM
well sometimes cross and are the same, sometimes they are not. How can I know, I am not native

05-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Found something interesting on how rituals come about.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
05-10-2012, 12:33 PM
(05-10-2012 03:50 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 02:26 AM)soodal Wrote:  I don't believe in this kind of thing. However, I do always wear my 'lucky socks' for every Tottenham Hotspur football (or soccer if you are annoying) match. I wore them last Saturday and we beat Manchester United for the first time in years. Coincidence or magic socks? I'll wear them for this weekend's game just in case...

If anything, a player knowing that he's wearing lucky socks are lucky jockstrap gives him confidence. And the player who can't stop thinking that he forgot his lucky gloves is distracted and hesitant. It's a placebo that may actually cause you to win.

And likewise an army that truly believes they are blessed by God is certain to win. After all those three eagles flying overhead are clear omens of God's will. Apparently, we make our own luck.

Fair points. I feel I should point out, however, that I don't actually play professional football. Tottenham Hotspur are "We" when we win but "They" when they lose.

The players have no way of knowing whether I am wearing my lucky socks or not. Therefore we can assume that they are probably magic. Put it this way, they are magic or they are not magic - 50/50. That's statistics, that is. Smartass
07-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Even though I know omens and whatnot are bullshit, I still do various superstitious things out of habit. Just little stuff like picking up pennies, throwing salt over my left shoulder, knocking on wood... I know it affects nothing, but I just automatically do it because it's something I was taught since I was very young to do.

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
No way, man Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)