Do you believe in bad omens? Do you ever do rituals before an event?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2012, 04:46 AM
RE: Do you believe in bad omens? Do you ever do rituals before an event?
(05-10-2012 11:16 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Found something interesting on how rituals come about.

It's actually kind of funny what psychologists have discovered when doing these sorts of "superstition" tests on humans.

One experiment involved the pulling of a lever and a subsequent "prize". The prize was set at random, but the subjects began to notice that it didn't matter if the lever was pulled or not; because other actions - like touching their elbow or a part of the table - would coincide with the winning of the prize.

One woman had to stop the experiment early because she had worn herself out by jumping to touch the ceiling repeatedly in order to get the prize.

It's almost disturbing how gullible and easily-manipulated we are. Patternicity at it's finest (or worst?).

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I don't really believe in luck, good or bad. Things either go your way or they don't. I too get into a routine when it comes to bowling, however it is to ensure that I roll the ball the same way each time.
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I await for evidence for the concepts of "luck".

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
12-10-2012, 08:23 PM
(12-10-2012 01:52 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I await for evidence for the concepts of "luck".

Luck, being the cumulative outcomes of sequential scenarios examined in retrospect, absolutely exists. Some people, when you look back at their lives, had more shitty events happen to them to everyone else. So technically, they were "unlucky."

But with regards to this thread and rituals and mysterious forces, that kind of luck doesn't exist. Four leaf clovers and rabbit's feet and lucky jewelry don't affect outcomes in your life. I just wanted to see how many people still do them, knowingly overriding their brains and doing that which they know changes nothing. People are funny creatures.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
13-10-2012, 03:01 AM
Then I suppose the "luck" we are talking about would be statistical probability vs. statistical improbability?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
13-10-2012, 01:34 PM
(13-10-2012 03:01 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Then I suppose the "luck" we are talking about would be statistical probability vs. statistical improbability?

I think it's variance about the mean.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user