Do you believe in ghosts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Do you believe in ghosts?
If you do why do you? If you don't why don't you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2017, 09:11 PM
RE: Do you believe in ghosts?
As far as I'm concerned, there's no more evidence to support the notion of ghosts than there is to believe in God or gods. They're both figments of peoples' imaginations, dark ages myths, fiction, drug-induced, or mental delusions.

And I'm guessing that no other atheist would "believe" in ghosts either.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 6 users Like SYZ's post
25-02-2017, 09:17 PM
No good evidence to support the existence of ghosts so no belief.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
25-02-2017, 09:18 PM
(25-02-2017 09:04 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  If you do why do you? If you don't why don't you?

I once met a guy who said he saw a ghost at the foot of his bed one night, so he was quite positive ghosts exist. Then I explained how false awakenings work and he was much less certain.

Basically false awakenings are when you think you have woken up to bedroom scenes but are really still dreaming it all. You have probably seen them dramatized on TV or in the movies. They occur much more frequently to lucid dreamers, since lucid dreamers anticipate waking up and produce them from that expectation. Sometimes they occur several times in a row before you really wake up. My mother-in-law, who had problems sleeping normally, used to see people and animals in her bedroom with alarming frequency.

Even during waking, the human mind can impose imagery of what isn't really there, especially when we are drowsy or faced with ambiguous sensory information, like when it's dark.

So no, I don't believe in ghosts since they are not the simplest explanation for seeing what isn't really there.
[+] 5 users Like Thoreauvian's post
25-02-2017, 09:47 PM
No. Drinking Beverage

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-02-2017, 09:56 PM
I see them all the time. My doc says they're vitreous humor shadows. I said, "Like I said, ghosts."

#sigh
25-02-2017, 10:51 PM
I used to be slightly convinced of ghosts, never enough to call it a "belief," though.

Learning about sleep paralysis made it pretty clear that my youth pastor's story about being visited by an "evil spirit" as a child was probably just #FakeNews. The human brain loves crafting consistent narratives, even where none exist.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
25-02-2017, 10:52 PM
I occasionally sleep with my eyes open. You'd be amazed what you end up "seeing".

Aside from there being no evidence for ghosts there's no plausible mechanism to explain them. You have to invoke spirits or souls or other equally unsupported superstition.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
25-02-2017, 11:03 PM
No. As UF said, there's no good evidence. And I'm someone who likes staying in "haunted" inns. I enjoy the romanticized stories, but I don't actually believe that the inns are haunted.

My best friend when I was little had an old grave on his property that we used to play on and climb on top of. I also lived across the street from a cemetery and I frequently played there as well. Never saw any ghosts there. Tongue My best friend's family insisted their house was haunted, but I stayed over there many times as a kid and I was pissed I never saw any ghosts. Really it was just the power of suggestion of having an old grave on their property.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Yeah I do. Jacob Marley ... I saw him a few times. He pops out around Christmas.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post