Do you believe in ghosts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2017, 11:27 PM
RE: Do you believe in ghosts?
Yes and no.

They are mathematically possible but physically impossible.

As typically defined i.e. immaterial entities, then no. Unless photons have worked out a way to bounce off stuff that is matterless and gravity has a trick to work on stuff that has no mass.

But then, it could be my failure in imagining what a 5-or more-dimensional thing would look like when passing through our 4-dimensional world.

Unsure

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2017, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2017 11:58 PM by cactus.)
(25-02-2017 11:27 PM)DLJ Wrote:  They are mathematically possible but physically impossible.

I'm not sure what you mean by physically impossible.
Indeed, my good fellow, I do say this must be tested at once, posthaste!
Do you think if I sent some money to Oxford, I could convince them to start up a new hyperbiology department and start conducting a feasibility study on N-dimensional self-aware beings? According to my preliminary calculations, we should easily be able to craft living beings of at least 4, maybe even 5 dimensionality, by simply unplugging the cloning device from the wall and plugging it back into itself so the electricity can flow in an infinite loop. Consider

I'll volunteer to be the guinea pig.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
26-02-2017, 12:40 AM
There's no evidence that consciousness can exist independently, so no. I don't feel ghosts have even been adequately defined. It's an elastic term that means whatever people want it to. This tends to happen when there's nothing to actually compare things to.

I ask people, "How do you know it was a ghost, and not something else?" They always say, "What else could it have been?"

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
26-02-2017, 12:49 AM
Well, it's been a few months since the last time I posted this for the benefit of someone else.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
26-02-2017, 01:22 AM
No evidence for them so I don't think that ghost exists.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-02-2017, 10:29 AM
No, not if ghosts are defined as the souls of the deceased who have not yet passed onto the afterlife. I've never seen any compelling evidence in favor of such an idea. The only way I could even remotely entertain the possibility is if it could somehow be proven to be a weird aspect of physics, such as some kind of temporal or extra-dimensional fluke. Sort of like a past or future timeline somehow popping up in our own. So the ghost would just be the faint image of a past or future person.

I know plenty of intelligent people who believe in ghosts. One in particular comes from a devout Buddhist family with Chinese folk religious leanings. My friend claims that she had the ability to see ghosts when she was younger, but this just so happened to be around the same time she was suffering from debilitating seizures and regularly took medication. She was always taught never to go out at night because a malevolent spirit might follow her home. The idea was that ghosts tended to stick around those who could see them. That's why her mother still makes her wear very beautiful (and VERY expensive) polished stone necklaces to ward off evil spirits. (Interesting side note: the Chinese have a holiday similar to Mexico's Día de Muertos called the Hungry Ghost Festival. The common belief is that disembodied spirits are released from heaven and hell on the 15th of the 7th month (around August). Families leave out plates of food as sacrifices, and many will burn paper money in order to absolve any sins a loved one may have committed while alive, and/or to buy them a better rebirth.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
26-02-2017, 10:42 AM
Hello Larai19! Big Grin

(25-02-2017 09:04 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  If you do why do you?

Nope, no signs that ghosts exist.

(25-02-2017 09:04 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  If you don't why don't you?

Never seen one. No idea how to even begin to test for something like it. No idea how such could even be.

(Yes, I know that's kind of an argument from ignorance, but I'm trying to poorly make a point.)
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
26-02-2017, 10:55 AM
(26-02-2017 10:29 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The idea was that ghosts tended to stick around those who could see them.
how convenient Big Grin

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
26-02-2017, 11:24 AM
As for the OP: Ask me when I met one. Since I haven't met any ghost in more than five decades, I go with no.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
26-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Absolutely! My whole country – hell, my entire part of Europe – was not just haunted, but possessed by a spectre for forty-freaking-five years. Drinking Beverage

And then Re(a)gan and the Bloody Bitch of Blighty came, riding on their white horses, and it was exorcised, hallelujah, glory be.

[Image: Regan-From-the-Exorcist-Postage-Stamp--24455.jpg]

(No, it’s not what really happened and no, good ol’ Ronny didn’t single-handedly bring down the wall. I was just trying to be funny.)

In terms of sheer ridiculousness, the idea of ghosts is on par with that of the soul. Utter poppy-as-‘twere-cock Drinking Beverage

[Image: 41417.jpg?v=1]

(I’m not convinced this is a real flower, but it’s funny. Also, I love poppies. And poppy seed)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post