RE: Do you believe in ghosts?
How the heck are ghosts possible mathematically??? Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
02-03-2017, 01:00 PM
(28-02-2017 04:16 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 01:03 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I guess most religious people would believe in ghosts? It requires less assumptions than they are already making.

I've never understood how Christians in general can believe in the concept of ghosts. It kinda conflicts with their belief in Heaven (or Hell) a bit.

Kind of depends on their interpertation of the Bible.

I actually don't see how a Christian that believes in an invisible all powerful diety, angels, demons, an equally invisible prince of darkness, and a dude did a bunch of scientifically impossible acts is their savior can tell people who believe in ghosts with a straight face that believing in ghosts is silly. If you believe in all the shit religious people have to believe in, then you really have no leg to stand on when it comes to other silly things.
[+] 3 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
02-03-2017, 09:56 PM
I'd think there is a lot we as observers can't explain. While the evidence given to us might not show there to be ghosts or gods, I'd say the idea of ghosts to be more plausible. That's just me personally though, I'm open to possibilities. Drinking Beverage

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
03-03-2017, 02:43 AM
(02-03-2017 09:56 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I'd think there is a lot we as observers can't explain. While the evidence given to us might not show there to be ghosts or gods, I'd say the idea of ghosts to be more plausible. That's just me personally though, I'm open to possibilities.

There is zero "evidence" supporting the notion of ghosts Ruby. The idea of ghosts totally lacks any plausibility—as do the ideas of supernatural entities (gods, angels, devils) and paranormal phenomena (resurrection, heaven, miracles).

Also, we have no need to "explain" these absurd notions—that are nothing more than the imaginings or wishful thinking of delusional minds, or ignorance, fear and superstition.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
03-03-2017, 02:48 AM
(02-03-2017 09:56 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I'd think there is a lot we as observers can't explain. While the evidence given to us might not show there to be ghosts or gods, I'd say the idea of ghosts to be more plausible. That's just me personally though, I'm open to possibilities. Drinking Beverage

Can you define what a ghost is? How would I know I'd found one?

Ghosts are more plausible than gods like Yahweh, I agree. But they still don't in any way mesh with our scientific understanding of the world.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
06-03-2017, 03:26 PM
(01-03-2017 06:32 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Very true Rob, and EVP's too, they're a crock of shit, also so called orbs in photos and video dust insects etc that's all they are.

Several years ago I was one of a handful of skeptics on a listserve about paranormal topics. One guy was a firm believer in orbs as "hard evidence" for ghostly apparitions, and no amount of explanation could convince him otherwise.

So after a while I stopped arguing, and set out to photograph a few orbs of my own. It was frightfully easy. I set up a film camera on a tripod to photograph some art prints on a wall of my living room, and set up one of those "million candlepower" spotlights off to the side, with the beam aimed at close to a right angle across the lens. Got some beautiful blue and white "orbs" apparently emerging from the pictures.

Then I made up a backstory about how these prints were had been hanging in my grad student office in the basement of a university building, next to a steam tunnel in which a student had supposedly committed suicide years ago. All pure invention.

I had a dozen people hanging on my every word for months, offering theories as to the exact type of "spirit" I had photographed, why it was there, and some people who even claimed to have discovered historical facts about the non-existent student-suicide in my story.

Eventually I revealed the hoax, and for a long time after that the only people on the list who would talk to me were the few other skeptics, and the numerologists. Go figure. Laugh out load

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 4 users Like Dr H's post
06-03-2017, 03:33 PM
A few years ago I was in Adelaide, Australia (my favourite Aussie city!) and took a tour of the Adelaide Gaol.

Saw some things I definitely have never experienced before - or since - and, while I hesitate to call anything "paranormal", I can say that things just weren't, well, right.

That didn't change my mind; I still don't believe in the traditional ghosts, spectres, apparitions, etc., but I can and will say that I saw and heard some things that weren't part of my normal experience.

Imagination? Perhaps. Collective hallucinations? Possibly.

I need to go back and do the whole thing again.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
07-03-2017, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2017 12:53 AM by Robvalue.)
What does paranormal mean, except unusual and unexplained?

I'm not criticizing, just raising the point Smile

I find "supernatural" to be similarly redundant.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
07-03-2017, 04:14 AM
(25-02-2017 09:04 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  If you do why do you? If you don't why don't you?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-03-2017, 03:35 PM
(03-03-2017 02:48 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 09:56 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I'd think there is a lot we as observers can't explain. While the evidence given to us might not show there to be ghosts or gods, I'd say the idea of ghosts to be more plausible. That's just me personally though, I'm open to possibilities. Drinking Beverage

Can you define what a ghost is? How would I know I'd found one?

Ghosts are more plausible than gods like Yahweh, I agree. But they still don't in any way mesh with our scientific understanding of the world.

As an Atheist, I say 'I don't believe there is a God' however I can't disprove their isn't one. With the understand I have no, there is no proof there is a God.
I don't claim to know 100% there is no God. However I know from who I can experience and witness there is no God. I tend to find Atheist who claim such a notion 'Their is not God' to be a bit annoying, true so far we know now there is no God, however there is a different say 'There is no Got to saying I don't believe there is a God." Confused

Same can be said for Ghosts. With the evidence I have now I can't prove there is such a thing. However I can't disprove it either.

Though I'd believe in Ghosts over God any day.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin