Do you believe in the divinity of nature/life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2017, 01:40 PM
Do you believe in the divinity of nature/life?
So when I first joined on here, I questioned if I could still be considered an atheist, and yesterday it came to me that that answer is yes! Just because we believe something is divine (ie nature) doesn't mean that we believe it is a god. Rather god has always been superimposed on nature.

I believe nature is divine. To me it is a timeless entity not bound by the preconceived notions that we often set up around it to help expand our understanding of it. It is quite literally all powerful, there is not greater force that we know exists in the universe aside from nature. And very recently I've begun playing with the idea that the universe itself is actually 'living'.

So there's that, my question is now, do any of you believe in something divine? If yes or no, why or why not?

Granted my beliefs don't exactly make nature divine, they are just my preconceived notions. Limited in their articulation by a limited vocabulary.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2017, 01:44 PM
RE: Do you believe in the divinity of nature/life?
Define "nature".
Define "divine".

Then explain the usefulness of using the second with the first.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 02:04 PM
I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean that nature (trees, grass, the sky, bugs, etc.) inspires wonder therefore it can be divine. Or are you saying that nature is a greater being?
04-03-2017, 02:05 PM
(04-03-2017 01:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Define "nature".
Define "divine".

Then explain the usefulness of using the second with the first.

Nature, the universe, including organic life.

Divine - godlike. Being that almost every god in human history was gifted with powers over the forces of nature it seems much more logical that nature isn't like gods but that gods are much more like nature. So gods should perhaps be referred to as 'naturelike'

(04-03-2017 02:04 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean that nature (trees, grass, the sky, bugs, etc.) inspires wonder therefore it can be divine. Or are you saying that nature is a greater being?

Definitely not a being, but perhaps an entity or an enigma.

Also nature as in all things natural, including inorganic life, like rocks, minerals, stars and such, and of course as you refer to them 'the laws of nature'.
04-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Some sort of sanctity or value to it all no.

I'm still a bit universally captured by the stars and formations of them or literarily romantic about the qualities of nature but it's not divine or sacred to me.

Perhaps of the things you mention, it makes me consider time divine to some degree.

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-03-2017, 02:13 PM
(04-03-2017 02:06 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Some sort of sanctity or value to it all no.

I'm still a bit universally captured by the stars and formations of them or literarily romantic about the qualities of nature but it's not divine or sacred to me.

Perhaps of the things you mention, it makes me consider time divine to some degree.

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

but 'time' is connected to all things is it not? As well as being a part of nature, so would that not also make nature divine, at least, to some degree?
04-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Well, personally I'd probably say I don't believe in any divine/ spiritual thing personally. I think everything just is. No real significance outside of it's beauty (and even that's subjective). I do think nature inorganic and organic is awe inspiring but not divine. I think in order to be spiritual in that way one would have to believe in entities or souls, which I do not. I don't think nature has any divine value. It's valuable to us, as humans, though.
04-03-2017, 02:38 PM
(04-03-2017 02:16 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Well, personally I'd probably say I don't believe in any divine/ spiritual thing personally. I think everything just is. No real significance outside of it's beauty (and even that's subjective). I do think nature inorganic and organic is awe inspiring but not divine. I think in order to be spiritual in that way one would have to believe in entities or souls, which I do not. I don't think nature has any divine value. It's valuable to us, as humans, though.

When atoms can coalesce to form a star, I'd say that is pretty significant.
04-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Quote:do any of you believe in something divine?

As an adjective, sometimes but a noun, no.

Quote:why not?

I can describe Persimmons as being divine. And yes, Persimmons are divine.
However, I do not prescribe to them any supernatural powers.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
04-03-2017, 03:03 PM
(04-03-2017 02:53 PM)kim Wrote:  
Quote:do any of you believe in something divine?

As an adjective, sometimes but a noun, no.

Quote:why not?

I can describe Persimmons as being divine. And yes, Persimmons are divine.
However, I do not prescribe to them any supernatural powers.

In the realm of nature are not all things natural? Does one thing have to be supernatural in order to be divine?

Also I've never heard of persimmons before.