Do you believe in the divinity of nature/life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2017, 03:10 PM
RE: Do you believe in the divinity of nature/life?
(04-03-2017 01:40 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  So there's that, my question is now, do any of you believe in something divine? If yes or no, why or why not?

No, I do not believe that nature or anything else is divine. I gave up on pantheism as a possibility when I gave up on gods in general.

If you considered how some insects procreate, neither would you. Yuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochliomyia_hominivorax
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2017, 03:14 PM
(04-03-2017 03:10 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 01:40 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  So there's that, my question is now, do any of you believe in something divine? If yes or no, why or why not?

No, I do not believe that nature or anything else is divine. I gave up on pantheism as a possibility when I gave up on gods in general.

Ew.
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
04-03-2017, 03:20 PM
(04-03-2017 02:38 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 02:16 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Well, personally I'd probably say I don't believe in any divine/ spiritual thing personally. I think everything just is. No real significance outside of it's beauty (and even that's subjective). I do think nature inorganic and organic is awe inspiring but not divine. I think in order to be spiritual in that way one would have to believe in entities or souls, which I do not. I don't think nature has any divine value. It's valuable to us, as humans, though.

When atoms can coalesce to form a star, I'd say that is pretty significant.

I meant more in a godlike significance to us. It is beautiful, and complex but it doesn't hold any kind of significance over the universe (outside of how it affects living things, of course.) I fail to see how we need entities and spirits to describe anything natural.
04-03-2017, 03:22 PM
(04-03-2017 03:10 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  

To a city dweller, shit is probably one of the most foul things they can imagine, but to a farmer, dung is seen as one of the greatest fertilizers imaginable and whats more is that it is all natural. A symbiotic relationship between plants and animals.

Similarly the way some species on this planet procreate might seem disgusting to us, but the act of procreation is the what melds what we think of as a void into our own conscious awareness that we call life. If we had evolved from these flies that procreates in this manner I do not think we would find it very disturbing at all. It is after all a matter of perspective.

Truly if you wanted to bring an example of disgust to my attention it would be the ability of people and animals to inflict pain on one another. But that is a matter of the struggle of life as well as free will.
04-03-2017, 03:25 PM
(04-03-2017 02:05 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Divine - godlike. Being that almost every god in human history was gifted with powers over the forces of nature it seems much more logical that nature isn't like gods but that gods are much more like nature. So gods should perhaps be referred to as 'naturelike'

Nature doesn't have "power over nature".
Nature is nature, and possess no god-like qualities.
Given the incoherent and undefined connotation the word "divine" has, just drop it.
The idea that nature is "conscious" has no evidence to support it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 03:28 PM
(04-03-2017 02:38 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 02:16 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Well, personally I'd probably say I don't believe in any divine/ spiritual thing personally. I think everything just is. No real significance outside of it's beauty (and even that's subjective). I do think nature inorganic and organic is awe inspiring but not divine. I think in order to be spiritual in that way one would have to believe in entities or souls, which I do not. I don't think nature has any divine value. It's valuable to us, as humans, though.

When atoms can coalesce to form a star, I'd say that is pretty significant.

Atoms do not "themselves" coalesce to do anything. Outside forces act on them, and a star is formed. It's a passive process for the atoms. You're ascribing properties to them they do not have.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2017 03:39 PM by Celestial_Wonder.)
(04-03-2017 03:20 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I meant more in a godlike significance to us. It is beautiful, and complex but it doesn't hold any kind of significance over the universe (outside of how it affects living things, of course.) I fail to see how we need entities and spirits to describe anything natural.

I have a feeling that how you think of entities or spirits is very different from how I think of them. to me spirit is merely our consciousness, and it is not a separate entity, but rather it is part of a singular force. Its not something unnatural or supernatural to me, rather it is something that is at the very core of nature itself.

You said earlier that you believe that the universe 'just is' and in regards to its existence that is a perfectly acceptable answer, but in regards to how it operates how and why it works... 'just is' is a very unsatisfactory answer.

(04-03-2017 03:25 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The idea that nature is "conscious" has no evidence to support it.

Well except for one very annoying human being called Bucky Ball.

(04-03-2017 03:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Atoms do not "themselves" coalesce to do anything. Outside forces act on them, and a star is formed. It's a passive process for the atoms. You're ascribing properties to them they do not have.

you put themselves in quotation marks. Why?
04-03-2017, 03:54 PM
(04-03-2017 03:32 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 03:20 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I meant more in a godlike significance to us. It is beautiful, and complex but it doesn't hold any kind of significance over the universe (outside of how it affects living things, of course.) I fail to see how we need entities and spirits to describe anything natural.

I have a feeling that how you think of entities or spirits is very different from how I think of them. to me spirit is merely our consciousness, and it is not a separate entity, but rather it is part of a singular force. Its not something unnatural or supernatural to me, rather it is something that is at the very core of nature itself.

You said earlier that you believe that the universe 'just is' and in regards to its existence that is a perfectly acceptable answer, but in regards to how it operates how and why it works... 'just is' is a very unsatisfactory answer.

(04-03-2017 03:25 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The idea that nature is "conscious" has no evidence to support it.

(04-03-2017 03:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Atoms do not "themselves" coalesce to do anything. Outside forces act on them, and a star is formed. It's a passive process for the atoms. You're ascribing properties to them they do not have.

Let me make sure I'm following you, very quickly so I don't misinterpret what you meant like I did previously.

Are you saying that consciousness correlates with the concept of souls?
04-03-2017, 03:58 PM
(04-03-2017 03:54 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 03:32 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I have a feeling that how you think of entities or spirits is very different from how I think of them. to me spirit is merely our consciousness, and it is not a separate entity, but rather it is part of a singular force. Its not something unnatural or supernatural to me, rather it is something that is at the very core of nature itself.

Let me make sure I'm following you, very quickly so I don't misinterpret what you meant like I did previously.

Are you saying that consciousness correlates with the concept of souls?

To a degree.
04-03-2017, 04:06 PM
(04-03-2017 03:32 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Well except for one very annoying human being called Bucky Ball.

I do my best. I appreciate my efforts are working.

Quote:you put themselves in quotation marks. Why?

Because a "self" connotes something they are not.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post