Do you bother taking on theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 12:31 AM
RE: Do you bother taking on theists?
I don't usually start debates with thiests, I only respond if they start a conversation first, and the discussion doesn't usually last long because it usually degrades into them saying something like "the bible doesn't say that" at which point I feel like I have to turn into a sunday school teacher and show them "where it actually does say that in the bible".

But I think I am going to start engaging those annoying people that set themselves up on downtown street corners with signs yelling about repenting your sins & about this being the end times etc... I've always just walked by them like most everybody else, but I'm beginning to think that if people start seeing others standing up to them, people might begin to realize that we don't have to lay down and put up with their crap anymore.

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Quote:Do you bother taking on theists?

Absolutely. They're so used to everyone they preach to being fellow theists or just apathetic agnostics that when I immediately engage them with countering Bible scripture and overwhelming logic and you see that smug look of false self-confidence melting from their face and becoming replaced with regret and fear... it's a thing of beauty.

It's like a bully who goes around the cafeteria smacking everyone on the back of the head and laughing with self-righteousness... and then he smacks the wrong head and a 7 foot tall, 300 pound behemoth stands up and turns around. It's fun to watch bullies pee their pants.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 4 users Like Buddy Christ's post
09-01-2012, 01:33 AM
I've only tried once and I didn't do well because I was trying to use reason against a chicken with it's head cut off. You can't reason with that.
I tried and I think it must have been the stupidest exchange in non-recorded history.

The person I was talking to was telling the story about how a drunk driver smashed into her car and although she lived, someone else in the car with her died. She rationalized that it wasn't the drunk drivers fault. She believes with all her heart that this was god's doing, but she wasn't angry. She felt that this death was all part of god's plan and she was thankful to be able to witness god's hand in her friends death. She visited the man in prison and tried to make him see that he shouldn't feel guilty for his drunk driving, because he had been touched by the hand of god.

There is nothing that I could have said to this woman that could possibly make an impression. She was ok with her god killing people through the use of drunk drivers.

There is no rational debate you can have with someone who is utterly irrational.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
09-01-2012, 02:51 AM
Honest debate is always useful. Even God said, "come let us reason together"!!

I sympathize with all theists and atheists who have met with an irrational, arbitrary or angry and disrespectful response.

I once heard it said that no one wins an argument. I think we can all win in respectful debate.

Cheers,

He was part of my dream, of course--but then I was part of his dream, too!
--Alice
[+] 3 users Like pilgrim's post
09-01-2012, 03:31 AM
(09-01-2012 02:51 AM)pilgrim Wrote:  Even God said, "come let us reason together"!!

And then added: but if you disagree I'll fry you in Hell. Kill you in a million unlikely ways. Not only you but your kids too and their kids. 'Cos that day your great to the nth power grand daddy ate an apple I was super pissed. And if you say "fuck you God" I remember for a looooong time.
09-01-2012, 08:35 AM
No I don't. I personally don't care if another person lives as a Christian. When we die we both rot and nothing much matters at that point.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
09-01-2012, 09:14 AM
(08-01-2012 05:02 PM)GwJ Wrote:  I belong to an atheist group on facebook, but I also joined a christian apologist group about a week and a half ago and have been debating them. Of course, I'm not doing bad, but I'm not convincing anybody for obvious reasons (and it is like 1 against ~5 people).

I already know I'm not going to convince them and know they're probably not going to convince me, but I also sort of like debating them. How about you?

You sound like me. Except it's like 1 against ~25.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Of course I do. And I really enjoy it. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen too often. Last time I did the person I spoke to used arguments like "atheists don't believe in anything, and you have to believe in something" or asked questions like "what will I do, when I fell in love with a theist girl?" ; o
09-01-2012, 10:25 AM
I rarely discuss religion at all when I'm not on this forum. Firstly, I get plenty of discussion here, so there's nothing I ever feel I need to get off my chest. Secondly, I am not a super social guy, and my family are atheists, so I don't encounter much opportunity for religous debate.

On the rare occasion I do debate religion, I go all in. Not in a fighting way, but I try to immerse myself, and use as much empathy and understanding as I can. Here's a thread about my last encounter:
http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...going-saga

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
09-01-2012, 10:46 AM
I did pick on a theist who said that he folows the bible literally. I opened the window, threw a bible out and dared him to follow it literally (evil grin).
[+] 5 users Like Airman04061969's post