Do you bother taking on theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 10:54 AM
RE: Do you bother taking on theists?
Not really online. None of my friends really want to talk about it, but I would if they wanted to. With my dad I've had a couple of discussions but that's really the extent of it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 05:02 PM
(09-01-2012 10:25 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I rarely discuss religion at all when I'm not on this forum. Firstly, I get plenty of discussion here, so there's nothing I ever feel I need to get off my chest. Secondly, I am not a super social guy, and my family are atheists, so I don't encounter much opportunity for religous debate.

On the rare occasion I do debate religion, I go all in. Not in a fighting way, but I try to immerse myself, and use as much empathy and understanding as I can. Here's a thread about my last encounter:
http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...going-saga

That is one nice,juicy-arse picture you have as your avatar Big Grin
I wish I lived close to you!!!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
09-01-2012, 05:07 PM
(08-01-2012 05:02 PM)GwJ Wrote:  I belong to an atheist group on facebook, but I also joined a christian apologist group about a week and a half ago and have been debating them. Of course, I'm not doing bad, but I'm not convincing anybody for obvious reasons (and it is like 1 against ~5 people).

I already know I'm not going to convince them and know they're probably not going to convince me, but I also sort of like debating them. How about you?

Yes! I do , often with great difficulty, and that goes for some extreme atheists too/ Tongue
09-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:That is one nice,juicy-arse picture you have as your avatar Big Grin

You shoulda seen her when she was finished! Huge, sticky, super potent, and tasted like strawberries after she was cured for a few months.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
09-01-2012, 05:17 PM
(09-01-2012 05:12 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
Quote:That is one nice,juicy-arse picture you have as your avatar Big Grin

You shoulda seen her when she was finished! Huge, sticky, super potent, and tasted like strawberries after she was cured for a few months.

Aw shudup, ya bastard! Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
09-01-2012, 07:45 PM
I really don't bother much with debate. I haven't seen a theist yet who can use reason or rationality or logic to justify their belief, and blind faith is difficult to debate or argue with or against.

I'm really a back seat atheist; more interested in looking at the scenery than taking part in the driving.

If I was 40 years younger I might debate, but strong debate now would probably give my poor old heart some palpitations and and I wouldn't want a Christian to do that to me.

Big Grin

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 3 users Like Organon's post
09-01-2012, 08:18 PM
(09-01-2012 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You sound like me. Except it's like 1 against ~25.

I don't know how you do it. There's not enough time in a day to hold an argument against the masses.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I will debate with anyone who wants to debate....in person, online, or whatever....

My only problem is I don't know much about religion, just the very basic. My parents never went to church, my family never talked about it. They never taught me about the bible or anything.....I try to listen, read, or ask about religion to learn about the crazy crap they believe.

When I get in debates with these theists, they quote all their storybook nonsense, bring up all their points....all I really have to respond with is "you're delusional". I try to read stuff off Atheist forums to get a real prospective to help me justify what I (don't) believe Smile

But trust me, I don't have any problem with calling them delusional. Truth hurts! I love shutting those pompous pricks up!
10-01-2012, 12:28 AM
I've never gone seeking online into a religious message board or any situation in that regard. Online I've only asserted questions in small ounces on a rare facebook post.

In person I have approached the idea to some people in regards of talking philosophically but the time I felt it easiest to get a point across was by debating the christian holidays by mentioning how they are pagan and so much of the religion is of direct pagan origin copied.
10-01-2012, 05:27 AM
Hey guys. I'm a long-time fan of The Thinking Atheist, but I've only just found this forum (I know, right?!). Anyway, I'm English and I work in television. Last year, I worked on my first American production and began following a couple of the TV personalities on Facebook. I come from a non-religious family and only have a couple theist friends here who are pretty relaxed about what they believe. I have some Mormon friends in the US who know I'm an atheist and we have a mutual respect for each other, sometimes discussing our differing beliefs. So it was a bit of weird when I began working with people who constantly referred to the bible. Anywho, the following status is from one of those people:

"Here is a cool story. I got a call from a miner thats a friend of mine. They found a full skeleton of a water buffalo, prehistoric. My son helped dig it up. Incredible. Then they found a mammoth. I have to be a little sensitive talking about things too much but Ivory can be kept now if found and several of my friends found some this summer. I found over 40 bones and teeth from the Yukon Horse. There is so much evidence of a great flood. Where I go all the animals were under water all swirled together and settled in a mud hole looking thing. People try to discredit the great flood, but its pretty darn evident in my book and to the miners that find this stuff. I thought you guys would get a kick out of this."

The first comment read: "that's awesome. History, science, and archaeology are constantly proving the Bible correct."

WHAAAAAAAAAAA?!?! Do people really believe there is actual evidence backing up their ridiculous claims? I did see some atheists commenting back, but as much as they said that there was no scientific or historical evidence for these biblical events, they got shot down by Christians saying they are wrong. Without being able to provide the so-called evidence, I must add.

Education could wipe religion off the earth, but people just refuse to listen.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 2 users Like Crossie's post