Do you bother taking on theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2012, 08:03 AM
RE: Do you bother taking on theists?
(10-01-2012 05:27 AM)Crossie Wrote:  The first comment read: "that's awesome. History, science, and archaeology are constantly proving the Bible correct."

Lol Tongue

Homo sapiens eh?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2012, 04:58 PM
As much as I would like to tell somebody god isn't real every time they mention church, praying, jesus, etc. I hold it in

The only real debates I have in real life are Pro-life vs Pro-choice, Evolution vs Creation, and the origins of the universe and why the god explanation isn't the only one. It just bothers the crap out of me when Christians think they know everything about our origins because they go to church, so I engage them.
12-01-2012, 07:07 AM
I enjoy it when Jehovah witnesses visit, and often read the watchtowers etc. that they post through the door. Unfortunately they don't come any more as I think the realisation that I can not be converted has sank in.
13-01-2012, 08:49 PM
(08-01-2012 05:02 PM)GwJ Wrote:  I already know I'm not going to convince them and know they're probably not going to convince me, but I also sort of like debating them. How about you?

I used to fuck with them when I was a couple of decades younger, but it got boring quick. Like discussing metaphysics with children. Neither one of us are gonna get much out of it.

(08-01-2012 09:17 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In person this unit is sheep shearer deluxe - I don't take nobody on, but if they step up, wool flies. Big Grin

That.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Like many others here, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. But I don't think of my goal as trying to convince them. The religious have had it their way for so long that simply raising the opposite point of view is a win at this point. If they're discussing it, you're winning. If I have any goal in those conversations, it's to educate them about what is actually in the Bible. I believe that has a cumulative effect that for some, may someday lead to their beginning to think.
14-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Sometimes. When I'm bored and need something to do. I'm just a mean person, I like to make them think and try to make them see the cold, ewil world we live in.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
14-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I get annoyed at some point in discussions with theists.
So online it is easy, if I don't feel like answering I don't. I can act as if I haven't been reading it or I can simply ignore something. Though I normally give a clear sign that the discussion is over from my part

In real life I keep quiet most of the time unless asked for my opinion or the said stuff annoys me more than the fact that, if I answer, I might have a long boring discussion...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2012, 05:48 AM
I used to but as I grew older my tolerance for blind ignorance and stupidity diminished.
My wife often heads them off if they come knocking as well.
She doesn’t like them, but will still “save them from me, because god can’t”
The few I do get, I now just say “not interested” and most leave it at that, those who push further aren’t let off so lightly.
But why should they be?

I have many gay/lesbian and transgender friends.
I know too many people who have been saved by stem cells and blood transfusions.
I am a huge follower of science and history.
I’m a great believer in equality and freedom.

With these things in mind, how could I tolerate those who would persecute my friends and family?
How could I let those I love and respect die because of some old myth?
Do I turn my back on new technology and science that is there to teach us and expand our horizons?
Do I ignore the countless millions that where massacred in the name of some god?
Should I give anything less than contempt to those who would treat others as chattel?

So for those bringing that religiosity justified hatred to me will get just a small taste of what they deserve.

Religion may just be the biggest threat to humanity we have.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche