Do you care about last generation of humans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2014, 02:20 PM
RE: Do you care about last generation of humans?
(24-10-2014 01:59 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  I would like for humanity to continue, in principle.
Why? 80-100 billion people died to keep humanity going. You want more deaths?

Quote:There are many possible interpretations of the Fermi paradox.
There is no evidence for aliens (just like God) therefore they don't exist.

Quote:World banks are blocking colonization of Mars?
That's basic economics. Without central banks interest rates would be 40% or even higher.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2014, 02:34 PM
(24-10-2014 12:01 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 11:37 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  [Citation required]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

But you are saying that it is a known fact that ...

(24-10-2014 11:13 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  Technologically advanced civilizations don't last long.

From the link you posted as evidence of this (yes I have read it before, shame you haven't).

Quote:Civilizations broadcast detectable radio signals only for a brief period of time

It may be that alien civilizations are detectable through their radio emissions for only a short time, reducing the likelihood of spotting them. There are two possibilities in this regard: civilizations outgrow radio through technological advance or, conversely, resource depletion cuts short the time in which a species broadcasts.

The first idea, that civilizations advance beyond radio, is based in part on the "fiber optic objection": the use of high power radio with low-to-medium gain (i.e., non-directional) antennas for long-distance transmission is wasteful of spectrum, yet this "waste" is precisely what makes these systems conspicuous at interstellar distances. Humans are moving to directional or guided transmission channels such as electrical cables, optical fibers, narrow-beam microwave and lasers, and conventional radio with non-directional antennas is increasingly reserved for low-power, short-range applications such as cell phones and Wi-Fi networks. These signals are far less detectable from space. Analog television, developed in the mid-20th century, contains strong carriers to aid reception and demodulation. Carriers are spectral lines that are very easily detected yet do not convey any information beyond their highly artificial nature. Nearly every SETI project is looking for carriers for just this reason, and UHF TV carriers are the most conspicuous and artificial signals from Earth that could be detected at interstellar distances. But advances in technology are replacing analog TV with digital television which uses spectrum more efficiently by eliminating or reducing components such as carriers that make them so conspicuous. Using our own experience as an example, we could set the date of radio-visibility for Earth as December 12, 1901, when Guglielmo Marconi sent radio signals from Cornwall, England, to Newfoundland, Canada.[88] Visibility is now ending, or at least becoming orders of magnitude more difficult, as analog TV is being phased out. And so, if our experience is typical, a civilization remains radio-visible for approximately a hundred years. So a civilization may have been very visible from 1325 to 1483, but we were just not listening at that time. This is essentially the solution, "Everyone is listening, no one is sending."

More hypothetically, advanced alien civilizations evolve beyond broadcasting at all in the electromagnetic spectrum and communicate by principles of physics we don't yet understand. Some scientists have hypothesized that advanced civilizations may send neutrino signals.[89] If such signals exist they could be detectable by neutrino detectors that are now under construction.[90] If stable wormholes could be created and used for communications then interstellar broadcasts would become largely redundant. Thus it may be that other civilizations would only be detectable for a relatively short period of time between the discovery of radio and the switch to more efficient technologies.

One counter to this argument is that although broadcast communication may become difficult to detect, other uses for radio such as radar and power transmission cannot be replaced by low power technologies or fiber optics. These will potentially remain visible even after broadcast emission are replaced by less observable technology.[91]
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
24-10-2014, 02:38 PM
*sign*

This troll isn't even fun. And I'm bored.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
24-10-2014, 02:42 PM
(24-10-2014 02:20 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  80-100 billion people died to keep humanity going.

[Citation required]

(24-10-2014 02:20 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  Without central banks interest rates would be 40% or even higher.

[Citation required]
24-10-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't really get what the question is suppose to mean. Or why it has any real relevance. Can someone explain?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
24-10-2014, 02:54 PM
I'd be happy to explain.

Dimaniac is an idiot.

Makesense?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
24-10-2014, 03:01 PM
The question is "Do you care about the last generation of humans?".

'Care' is present tense. This means that he is saying that the people being born today are going to be the last generation of humans.

Are we sure that dimaniac is not a sock puppet of diddo? Diddo thinks the population will die out from ebola. They both only ever write single line posts. They both make as little sense.
24-10-2014, 03:11 PM
(24-10-2014 02:20 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 01:59 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  I would like for humanity to continue, in principle.

Given that everyone who lives inevitably dies (or, at least, evidence to date strongly suggests this, to an absurd level of statistical certainty), more deaths are inevitable. If dying is the price of living, then it's one that I, and most people, would be willing to pay. (Also, we have no choice but to pay it.) I would be quite willing to bring a child into this world, knowing that he or she would eventually die, because the experience between life and death may well be worth that.

There is also the question of the qualities of the death. Dying painlessly in one's sleep, with one's life's work completed, one's affairs in order, and one's fairwells said, is the ideal in my mind. It is preferable to, say, dying in one's prime to a random act of violence; or from the less-random violence of war; or after years of suffering to a preventable or curable disease; or even one that MIGHT have been curable if we'd done the research; or from an extremely painful form of neglect like starvation; or so on and so forth. Death might be inevitable, but the horrors of death can be ameliorated.

So do I want people to keep dying? Only as the price of life continuing. Show me a realistic way of accomplishing this without death, or come out and actually say that you WANT the human race to end so that people will stop dying, or STFU&GTFO.

Quote:There are many possible interpretations of the Fermi paradox.
There is no evidence for aliens (just like God) therefore they don't exist.

Better to say that there's no basis for believing they exist. But note the significant difference between the two. There's nothing that we see around to suggest that the existence of non-terrestrial life out there somewhere, which we have not detected, is impossible or unlikely. However, most of the myths of God run quite counter to the way we see the world working. While there's no good evidence for the existence of either, there's better reason to suspect that God doesn't exist than that aliens don't exist.
Quote:World banks are blocking colonization of Mars?
That's basic economics. Without central banks interest rates would be 40% or even higher.

Basic economics, my dog's bowel movements. Oh, sure, the Fed does influence interest rates to a degree, and has kept them at absurdly low levels for the past decade or two. But if the interest rate were 40%, banks would stop working. They wouldn't want to take any deposits because of how much interest they'd need to pay on them, and they couldn't make any good loans because of how impossible it would be for the customer to make good on it.

But even if that were true, how would having to pay 40% interest on the overhead make financing an expedition to Mars easier or more likely?

((Pssst! Add economics to the list!))
24-10-2014, 03:15 PM

Huh? That's a lot for 6K years.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-10-2014, 03:17 PM

Not only muslims afraid of technological progress.