Do you care if Obama is really a Muslim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Do you care if Obama is really a Muslim?
While pumping gasoline, I overheard some 'church people' talk about politics, and the wars etc. Well, during the conversation, one person said "We have a fucking Muslim president, he wants to destroy us, look at what he did to Israel last week!" or something to that extent. Do you people care what religion the president is? I honestly think he is probably agnostic or even a closest atheist (which I respect more)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2011, 07:00 PM
RE: Do you care if Obama is really a Muslim?
I'm not an american, but I can say that personally the only personal trait other than political views that would offset my view of a person would be the religion they subscribe to. I think that even if they don't say it out right, or use it for campaigning I would always have the assumption that it was behind decisions being made because religion in essence is about control. I would love it if religion was kept out of politics completely but that isn't the current situation.

I do think you're right about Obama though. I would think that although he has said religious orientated things, he probably is at the least Leaning agnostic style. He has also been on record criticizing religion, not to mention an interview I saw him in where he stood up for science, which was a nice change of pace. He seems like a decent individual, however I would still question his ability to lead a country whether he was atheist, christian, or muslim.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-06-2011, 07:10 PM
(30-06-2011 06:39 PM)Monk Wrote:  While pumping gasoline, I overheard some 'church people' talk about politics, and the wars etc. Well, during the conversation, one person said "We have a fucking Muslim president, he wants to destroy us, look at what he did to Israel last week!" or something to that extent. Do you people care what religion the president is? I honestly think he is probably agnostic or even a closest atheist (which I respect more)

That's really funny when you consider how the last "fucking Christian president" , George W Bush , is regarded in many circles as the worst president the United States has ever suffered through
30-06-2011, 11:14 PM
I don't care what religion the President is only as long they FOLLOW the US Constitution.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
30-06-2011, 11:48 PM
(30-06-2011 11:14 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  I don't care what religion the President is only as long they FOLLOW the US Constitution.
Agreed.
01-07-2011, 04:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2011 04:31 AM by Filox.)
Interesting thing, you failed to notice, is how they made a comment about Israel. First of all, they (100%) have no idea where and what Israel is, second, what does Israel have to do wit US citizens? So their whole comment, from beginning to the end, is plain stupid and retarded. And nobody in USA follows the Constitution, because if they were, USA would be a secular state, not a Christian Nation. That is what happens when religions start to rule the country and write new history over the old one...

P.S.
Just out of curiosity, what did Obama "do" to the Israel last week?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
01-07-2011, 05:27 AM
I do care if he is religious or not. You can never trust someone to do the right thing when they trust their god to tell them what the right thing is.

Quote:I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony
Quote:With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. – Steven Weinberg

(30-06-2011 11:14 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  I don't care what religion the President is only as long they FOLLOW the US Constitution.

I would like this, but I do think it is impossible. Simply put, you can't trust a computer infected with a virus to run the program correctly.

And I do not care if he is a Muslim.
01-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Could care less what religion he is, but I'm still voting against him in 2012. And, I agree with the comment that he's probably at least an agnostic.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
01-07-2011, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2011 10:02 AM by Ghost.)
I may throw up.

This conversation is the reason that those people were talking about Obama being a Muslim.

There are things in the world called facts. When we discuss them, the world is a wonderful and happy place filled with rainbows and cuddly colourful bears. When we just invent shit, we all sound like hick yokels because we are acting like hick yokels.

Barak Obama is no more an Atheist than he is a Muslim. His mother was secular, raised by non-religious parents. His father was raised a Muslim but became an avowed Atheist. Barak Obama himself was raised in a non-religious household and became a Christian of his own volition (a fact he discusses openly) during his 20's (he was baptised in 1988). He was an active member of Trinity United Church of Christ for two decades (a relationship that formed the basis of the community work he built his reputation on and that led him to the presidency) until this guy spoke the unspeakable and Obama had to leave the congregation (because it was screwing up his presidential run). How do I know this? Because Obama wrote a book, his second, called The Audacity of Hope. I mean it was only an Oprah-endorsed best-seller, but it is available for those interested in looking for those wacky fact things.

For the love of God, don't give any credence whatsoever to the Obama secret Muslim idea. None. It's an affront to reason and to promulgate it is an attack on reason, as is any statement or theory counter to the fact that he is a Christian of his own volition.

So my sarcasm meter went off the scale on this one but come on, you can't attack Theists for spouting baseless nonsense if you're going to spout baseless nonsense yourself. This site is called the Thinking Atheist, not the Creative Atheist. With Google, there is no excuse for not fact-checking.

To answer the question, I wouldn't say that I don't care about a leader’s religious views. All leaders represent a special interest group and their religious affiliation absolutely influences their choices. I don't need to condemn their views necessarily, but I do need to track them. Stephen Harper's Christian views absolutely influence his public policy and the fact that he's an autocrat creates a volatile mix. Obama on the other hand is an avowed Christian who uses that philosophical foundation to reach across and try to create bridges and bring together. So while I can't trust Christian Harper to respect the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, I can trust Christian Obama to respect the US Constitution.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
01-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Sorry to disagree with you here Matt, but just because a presidential candidate states at some point that he is a christian does not make him so. When it comes to politicians the best you can do is speculate. It doesn't really matter what he says he is, chances are anyone running for president would state they were christian whether they were or not. It would be a lovely little world if you could take a politician at his word even when his reputation was at stake, but if you do it you're an idiot plain and simple. Running for president is definitely more of a popularity issue than it is one based on anything else.
I`m not saying he isn`t a christian at all, but I think it`s foolish to say he is for sure. I`d hold out my vote until being president is no longer an issue. You are right in stating that it`s easy enough to look up things on the internet so there is no excuse for making baseless comments. I however don`t think my questioning his faith is baseless. The internet is full of Mr. Obama making comments I would say are fairly anti-christian, or at the very least are unlike any thing I have ever heard a christian say, which would cause me to doubt his belief. Maybe he is just some new kind of christian full of tolerance and interesting ideas, who knows.
To me it doesn`t matter, I`d personally not have a religious person in charge of important decisions at all, with the way religion has a way of seeping into those decisions. Christian or Muslim.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison