No
Who is Seth?
[Show Results]

Do you comment on Seth’s blog?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2016, 02:57 PM
RE: Do you comment on Seth’s blog?
I listen to (and mostly greatly enjoy) the podcasts, and I'll check the blog every now and then. He doesn't post frequently enough for me to consider it something that I read "regularly" though, and I've never actually commented or anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Nope.
I got enough Sethery with FB. (Also I don't read blogs much generally)

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
31-05-2016, 11:16 AM
So far 10 No’s and 2 Who is Seth votes...how very interesting. Some of the folks commenting there would make great additions to our Forum, for different reasons of course. Goodevil

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
31-05-2016, 12:46 PM
(30-05-2016 12:25 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I have never read his blog, nor listened to the podcast, for that matter.

I'm just here for the free nachos.

I've listened to a few podcasts. Seth has a very nice voice. Blush
Share your nachos with me I don't wanna get in line

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
31-05-2016, 03:42 PM
(30-05-2016 08:41 AM)Fireball Wrote:  I listened to one podcast, forget the topic atm. I started listening to another, but was put off by the advertisements and terminated the session. I don't post there, since I don't have comments on what I don't listen to.
To be fair his podcasts have gone through alot of evolution as he has progressed as an atheist.

His earliest podcasts had "chaotic shelly" managing his switchboard and were very caller intensive. Also I don't think there were advertisements. A year or so in, he would often have a guest, but still half the show or so was taking calls. Eventually he started taking ads and the podcasts are usually guest speaker intensive with maybe 10-20% at most dedicated to call-ins.

I prefer the earlier podcasts, but the middle ones are good too, and the later ones aren't bad. Although I am like 1.5 ish years behind at this point (I've listened to a few newer ones here and there). I prefer listening to average people talk about their experiences over "experts" in the field. But a mixture of both is preferable.

I don't blame him for taking ad revenue. I mean the guy dedicates a good chunk of time, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 20-40 hours per week to podcasts and videos (and perhaps by now he has quit his 9 to 5 and does this exclusively). And he makes a point to make the podcasts always free to access and always delivered every week. And he has costs associated with this (audio equipment, and likely fees for blog/podcast).

It was definitely weird when I heard a formal ad in his podcast for the first time. But honestly they are less than 2 minute spiels and done at most 3 times during 1 hr+ podcasts). Not a big deal.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-06-2016, 11:03 AM
(31-05-2016 03:42 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(30-05-2016 08:41 AM)Fireball Wrote:  I listened to one podcast, forget the topic atm. I started listening to another, but was put off by the advertisements and terminated the session. I don't post there, since I don't have comments on what I don't listen to.
To be fair his podcasts have gone through alot of evolution as he has progressed as an atheist.

His earliest podcasts had "chaotic shelly" managing his switchboard and were very caller intensive. Also I don't think there were advertisements. A year or so in, he would often have a guest, but still half the show or so was taking calls. Eventually he started taking ads and the podcasts are usually guest speaker intensive with maybe 10-20% at most dedicated to call-ins.

I prefer the earlier podcasts, but the middle ones are good too, and the later ones aren't bad. Although I am like 1.5 ish years behind at this point (I've listened to a few newer ones here and there). I prefer listening to average people talk about their experiences over "experts" in the field. But a mixture of both is preferable.

I don't blame him for taking ad revenue. I mean the guy dedicates a good chunk of time, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 20-40 hours per week to podcasts and videos (and perhaps by now he has quit his 9 to 5 and does this exclusively). And he makes a point to make the podcasts always free to access and always delivered every week. And he has costs associated with this (audio equipment, and likely fees for blog/podcast).

It was definitely weird when I heard a formal ad in his podcast for the first time. But honestly they are less than 2 minute spiels and done at most 3 times during 1 hr+ podcasts). Not a big deal.

I'm not one for talk shows or call in shows, I usually find the audience participation convoluted or without much worth, normally parroting the status quo for whatever the pov is for the show.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-06-2016, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 11:36 AM by Adrianime.)
(06-06-2016 11:03 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I'm not one for talk shows or call in shows, I usually find the audience participation convoluted or without much worth, normally parroting the status quo for whatever the pov is for the show.
Well, honestly I don't care too much about "opinion" call-ins. But I find the shows where people describe their experiences with things that I never will experience (and have never even thought of) fascinating. Like those who experienced cultish home-schooling. Those who were part of religions that shun you if you announce apostasy. One show was people calling in describing how they got married as atheists (and how a non-religious wedding went for them), that was fun. The "grief without god" shows (talking about mourning as a non-believer) made me tear up. Hearing about those who call in describing family members that won't talk to them.

Hearing these stories is eye-opening. They also make me sad, and make me dislike religion even more.

Seth's early shows aren't anything like talk shows that I've heard before. He was just a guy fresh out of religion who had a background in broadcasting. He wanted to talk to others and see what they are going through. And create a place where people could come and hear about this stuff. I respect him for what he's done.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty certain Seth's call ins are all random listeners. I've heard plenty disagree with him, but I've never heard anybody ever get angry on his show.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-06-2016, 11:37 AM
I found this place nearly three years ago when I Googled "atheist forums". I'd recently been soft-banned from Worthy and I was kind of getting sick of Christian forums.

(29-05-2016 11:57 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I came for all the baby eating and free sex, but...

Sadly, I joined too late in 2013 for the free sex. They discontinued it in the summer of 2013. But the baby eating was still totally a thing. I think I got a free thing of BBQ sauce on my one-year anniversary.