Do you consider Mormonism "Christian"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Do you consider Mormonism "Christian"?
Yes, I know it's a Christian denomination. Yes, I know in denotation Mormons are Christian.

I want to know what you think about in connotation.

When you hear "Christian" do you ever think about Mormons?
Would you consider them "Christians"?

Most "Christians" (Catholics, Protestants, Anglicans) don't consider them to be Christians (Catholics don't even consider Protestants Christians). They more or less think of Mormons as a cult. They believe that they are not saved in the traditional sense based on the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith and that Christ isn't the only way.

I'm wondering what atheists think about this little pocket of Christianity and how it relates to the more common denominations.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2012, 11:04 AM
RE: Do you consider Mormonism "Christian"?
If I am talking about Christians in general then I usually wouldn't talk much about mormonism, but I still class them as Christians. Oh and I see all denominations as cults.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
08-06-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't consider mormonism at all. Not even in passing.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
08-06-2012, 11:07 AM
It's all the same shit just different pile.

I've gone from classifying each sect, to calling it all theology. It's all the same, some words moved around, different "prophets" all claiming some secret knowledge.

They can have their infighting.

I never doubt the intelligence of theists anymore until it comes to the claim of one true. Everything remains copacetic until it is weighed against another. How can one thing seem so silly to a group, and yet other things not?

How is Joesph Smith any crazier than Mohammed? Or Scientology any nuttier than Christianity? That's when I go... You so silly.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like lucradis's post
08-06-2012, 11:12 AM
I think the general consensus from when I was a southern baptist christian was that anyone who said they were a follower of Jesus Christ was a christian. So, catholics, presbyterians, baptists, mormons, etc, were all christians but some were more crazy than others (I'm looking at church of christ here), some were more traditional (Amish), some had parts we did not have (mormons), but all seemed to be christian to me at the time.

As an atheist now looking back, I still agree with that basic premise that they are all christian in the sense that they all consider jesus to be a central figure to their beliefs. I don't see that much of a distinction between the Mormons adding in their own book when all of the other denominations just interpret the "original" one to say what they want. If they could get away with it, they would all write their own additions.

I despise the term "christian" though. Not because I hate the individuals and not because I hate religion, but because that is a term used and abused by politicians and other corrupt individuals to attract the masses to their line of thinking. If I were a catholic running for office in the south, I would just call myself a christian and no one would be any the wiser and I would attract a much stronger fan base that way.

The other point I would contend is that the term "christian" is a pointless term now anyways. The only thing central to it is a belief in Jesus, but everything else is up for grabs. I would much rather people identify themselves by denomination (I just realized that has the word 'demon' in it). That would cause people to really think about what that means and would negate the abuse of the term 'christian' by the politicians.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
08-06-2012, 11:24 AM
No, I don't think they fall under the "Christian" umbrella. Regardless of the truth of their claim, my understanding is that their theology does not match up with the theological requirement that you must come to salvation through acceptance of Jesus Christ. Mormonism inolves much more than that, doesn't it?
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
08-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Hey, King.

I gotta figure that a group that calls themselves the Church of Jesus Christ, qualify as Christians.

Hey, BD.

The modern definition of Christian feels, to me, like the early 20th century definition of German. During the time of 'the Germanies' there were as many as 300 sovereign states. Then nationalism showed up and they were like, "Nein! We ist ein single volk!" And poof, they were all German. It strikes me that Christians are circling the wagons because they feel under attack and are uniting/co-opting everyone under one banner, strength in numbers style.

Nothing particularly wrong with it, but it's interesting to note.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
08-06-2012, 12:20 PM
I consider it another branch of Christianity.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
08-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I guess the real question is, do Mormons consider themselves Christian?
My understanding of their history is Joseph Smith felt that the Cult of Christianity had corrupted the "truth" of Jesus Christ so he started a brand new, totally separate religion, ie, NOT Christian.
But I think today, Mormons want to be considered Christian so they'll appear to be a little more relevant to the mainstream.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
08-06-2012, 12:53 PM
It is no more Christian than Islam is.
Look at the parallels.

They aren't Christians and only say they are for socio-political reasons.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post