Do you consider Mormonism "Christian"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2012, 12:58 PM
RE: Do you consider Mormonism "Christian"?
First, Mormons consider themselve Christians, which is their call.
Seconds, others who call themselves Christians, who are not Mormons, can decide if they agree or not.
As an atheist, this is a question that I don't believe I am qualified to or should try to answer.
That said, I watch the debate from the outside and get a good chuckle. Will the "real" Christians please stand up.
Who will Jesus choose when he comes back? Bowing

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I would say there is no such thing as a true or real Christian because the term has no base meaning. It has a working definition that alters to whoever is using the term. I've heard various cracks that Mormonism isn't the same because it's a cult or seclusive yet I've also seen others just label it as Judaism 2.5 (Christianity being 2.0)

The believing in Jesus Christ as the savior of sin, is "Evangelical" Christianity. I'm pretty sure that's what the term means. My point is that even in Christianity the movements have evolved over 2000 years. The 35,000 Denominations isn't the best example of that since it's often a lot of tiny quarles evolving away from each other.(Makes me think that would be a pretty nice snark retort to a Creationist question of why are there still monkeys)

I see Mormonism has just another branch of Christianity the same as: The Eastern right split with the Catholic Church, the Protestant beginning, the puritan divisions, or the John Edwards Great Awakening movement in the 18th century.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-06-2012, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 05:42 PM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
Mormons are a spin-off sect of other white protestant sects. It's this one guy, 200 years ago, who looked hard at the church and thought "Hey, I can do that racket", and went into business for himself.
L. Ron Hubbard had the same idea 40 years ago. As did Jim Jones, David Koresh, etc. etc. etc.
All self-styled 'saviors of humanity' with delusions of grandeur, but basically greedy fraudsters. The religious channels are full of 'm.

And here's that magical underpants bishop with enough support to challenge the president of the United States of America...

Americans love to be bullshitted.
08-06-2012, 05:28 PM
I consider all religions to be cults, so being a cult does not disqualify an organisation from the Christian label.

If they believe in Jesus Christ and consider him to be either a god, the son of a god or both and if they worship Jesus Christ then I would consider them to be Christians.
08-06-2012, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 06:02 PM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
(08-06-2012 05:28 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I consider all religions to be cults, so being a cult does not disqualify an organisation from the Christian label.

Neither does it do the opposite: qualify them as such, which you seem to imply.

Sects like the Mormons hide behind the banner of Xtianity as a fig leaf. And to make themselves look (much) bigger than they are. S.P.P. – Standard Posturing Procedure. Every peacock does it.

But since the Mormons don't 'believe' in the classical, canonized bible, but have added a whole prophet and an entirely new sequel gospel of their own – like Muhammed and the Qur'An followed Jesus and the NT – you could make a strong argument against Mormons being worthy of the moniker 'Xtians'.
08-06-2012, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 06:19 PM by Anjele.)
The term LDS seems to be what I hear more than Mormon...Latter Day Saints...Joseph Smith....seems really cult like to me.

But I am just now learning about about their beliefs in any depth.

To me, I would say they are an offshoot of Christianity but have moved so far away that it's kind of a distant relative. I need to learn more about them...the magic underwear concept alone fascinates me...don't think I could buy into that.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
(08-06-2012 05:56 PM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  
(08-06-2012 05:28 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I consider all religions to be cults, so being a cult does not disqualify an organisation from the Christian label.
No, I didn't say that.
There are many cults that are not Christian cults.
08-06-2012, 06:11 PM
(08-06-2012 05:56 PM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  like Muhammed and the Qur'An followed Jesus and the NT
They don't consider Jesus to be a god or son of a god.
08-06-2012, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 06:23 PM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
(08-06-2012 05:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The term LDS seems is what I hear more than Mormon...Latter Day Saints...Joseph Smith....seems really cult like to me.

It is.
They all are!
Superstitious cults.
And criminal organizations.
Upto and including the 'mother' church: the Roman Catholic church.

Which is why they deserve our full attention and prosecution.

Problem is: when they are all gone, what will take its place?
We know what we've got. We don't know what we'll get.
08-06-2012, 06:35 PM
(08-06-2012 05:56 PM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  

Sects like the Mormons hide behind the banner of Xtianity as a fig leaf. And to make themselves look (much) bigger than they are. S.P.P. – Standard Posturing Procedure. Every peacock does it.

But since the Mormons don't 'believe' in the classical, canonized bible, but have added a whole prophet and an entirely new sequel gospel of their own – like Muhammed and the Qur'An followed Jesus and the NT – you could make a strong argument against Mormons being worthy of the moniker 'Xtians'.
What about following a particular canonized bible makes someone legitimately Christian? Does that mean that Gnostics from the past or present who followed other ideas and texts don't get considered Christians?

What does it take to make one an "ian" It's supposed to mean, belong to, related to, or like. Thomas Jefferson wrote at times in relation to following the preachings of Jesus he considered himself a Christian. That one I understand making distinct.

Even the main denominations follow the canonized books in different translations or sometimes orders. Who says what the legit 10 commandments really are and so forth?

From what I've heard, the use of the term Christian as it is used today was an early 20th century political ploy to unite sects to work together for their platform. When you look at documents of articles about writers/political figures in the 19th/18th century of the USA you find it often having their specific religious affiliation more noted than people think to consider in these times. I think it's just a hogwash label to begin with that doesn't have a true definition.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson