Poll: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
Yes, I'm a secular humanist
I agree with what it stands for, but I don't think of myself as a secular humanist
No, I disagree with what secular humanism stands for
I don't know
Other
[Show Results]

Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
27-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
A lot of atheists do, but a lot of atheists don't, from what I gather. Where do you stand?

My objection to the term would be that it is a bit vague, essentially being synonymous with atheism plus some vague ethical and pro-science sentiments. I've seen all kinds of people, from Objectivists to Marxists, self-describe as humanists.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Loki's post
27-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Re: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
Yes. I don't see it as much of a vague term because it's just a matter of stating morals or human value comes from humanity and not higher power or opposed to influence by divinity claims.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-08-2013, 02:24 PM
RE: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
I just think of it as a summation of its parts. I am for secular government, and I consider myself someone who values humanity above all other political ideologies.

It is somewhat vague, but that is because it isn't really a belief system or a political system. It is just two descriptive terms melded together.

Evolve
02-09-2013, 03:11 PM
(27-08-2013 02:24 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I just think of it as a summation of its parts. I am for secular government, and I consider myself someone who values humanity above all other political ideologies.

It is somewhat vague, but that is because it isn't really a belief system or a political system. It is just two descriptive terms melded together.

So it's more of a X + Y concept then?

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
02-09-2013, 03:12 PM
(27-08-2013 02:23 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes. I don't see it as much of a vague term because it's just a matter of stating morals or human value comes from humanity and not higher power or opposed to influence by divinity claims.

But aren't atheists per definition then secular humanists? Atheists per definition don't believe morality comes from gods (since they don't believe in gods), and then what's left but morality from humans?

02-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Re: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
I guess. That's how I view it anyways.

Evolve
02-09-2013, 10:36 PM
*Looks under name*

Yes and I agree with TheBeardedDude's definition. I don't have much to add to the conversation but I do value humanity highly especially over religious or political ideas.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
03-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Re: RE: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
(02-09-2013 03:12 PM)Loki Wrote:  
(27-08-2013 02:23 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes. I don't see it as much of a vague term because it's just a matter of stating morals or human value comes from humanity and not higher power or opposed to influence by divinity claims.

But aren't atheists per definition then secular humanists? Atheists per definition don't believe morality comes from gods (since they don't believe in gods), and then what's left but morality from humans?

Raeliens and buddhists(some) are atheists so its definitely not a total connection.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Nope.

Human "morality" is a hodgepodge of rules of thumb and some intuitive emotional mechanisms— very imperfect on its own. I'm with Steven Pinker on this one; any group that tries to moralize ("my morals are superior to yours") will ultimately cause a lot of damage.

My blog: http://nomereape.tumblr.com/
[+] 1 user Likes No Mere Ape's post
03-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Hmm, I guess so, which is rather ironic consider I'm by definition a sociopath.
However my views are probably a little more grim than "humans are capable of forming ethics and morals without religion".
IMO, humans are inherently selfish creatures. In fact I think all living organisms are inherently selfish. Why? Because the sole purpose of life is to survive and reproduce. Survival is by far the strongest human emotion. Even religious people cannot deny that they don't wanna die..
Religious people may be more accepting of death because of the little web of lies they've spun themselves but they're not willing to throw the die (pun intended) on their little belief system (their gamble being that God and heaven exists) until they absolutely have too...
People will do almost anything to survive. ie: That guy that cut of his arm when he fell down a canyon. There's literally dozens if not hundreds of survival stories of that nature.
How this relates to morals is that it's part of primitive survival. Cooperation is how humans survive. We're not bears, we're not big hairy creatures (Girly excluded) with claws and sharp teeth. We're fragile ape-like creatures with a large brain and thumbs. A small group of cave men could gather more food, they could take care of each other, they could breed, they could do more tasks (ie: one person make a fire, one person hunt etc..). How this relates to morals is that it would be unwise to than slit everyone's throats while they slept. Not because your knife was made out of a stone and it'd take you ages with chance of screaming and everyone waking up, but because those very people help you survive. It's mutually beneficial.
This is where I believe our "morals" come from at their base core. They're human created for sure, but for our own selfish survival.
These evolved over time. ie: It's wrong to steal. This would have come about for the same reason it's frowned upon now, that you need some form of security to know your stuff is okay. You need to know that if you leave the cave to go hunt for a sabre tooth tiger or something that some douche bags not gonna come in and steal your TV.

tl;dr:
All our morals some way or a rather came about due to people's need for survival.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post