Poll: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
Yes, I'm a secular humanist
I agree with what it stands for, but I don't think of myself as a secular humanist
No, I disagree with what secular humanism stands for
I don't know
Other
[Show Results]

Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
23-03-2014, 04:55 PM
RE: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
(23-03-2014 04:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 04:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  97% Humanist

And 3% ... ? Communist dupe? Satanist? Capitalist running dog? Consider

Shudder ... Republican? Weeping

Sith

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-03-2014, 04:57 PM
(23-03-2014 04:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 04:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  And 3% ... ? Communist dupe? Satanist? Capitalist running dog? Consider

Shudder ... Republican? Weeping

Sith

Oh, good. Not Republican. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-03-2014, 08:16 AM
(23-03-2014 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 04:26 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I was kidding Sadcryface2

So was I. Laughat

I knew that Blush

Atir aissom atir imon
24-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Yea, I do.

It's funny that we need a label for something that just feels natural. lol

Religion, all those fucked up labels...that's unnatural. Religion is learned. Being a secular humanist seems to be our natural state.

Me thinks this anyways Unsure

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
24-03-2014, 11:22 PM
(03-09-2013 02:11 PM)Loki Wrote:  
(03-09-2013 08:50 AM)No Mere Ape Wrote:  any group that tries to moralize ("my morals are superior to yours") will ultimately cause a lot of damage.

Also, every society originates from a culture, which has some sort of moral values or moral system. It simply couldn't function otherwise.
I agree with No Mere Ape. Trying to force one's opinion (subjective morality) onto others to make them conform is an act of aggression, which leads to oppression and conflict.

I don't see why people can't instead just mind their own business, be tolerant and supportive of diversity.

regarding humanism, I don't hold human life to be sacred. I'm against anti-abortion laws, I'm pro death penalty, I'm pro euthanasia. I'm not sure if this means I disqualify as a humanist???
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
25-03-2014, 09:38 AM
(27-08-2013 02:15 PM)Loki Wrote:  A lot of atheists do, but a lot of atheists don't, from what I gather. Where do you stand?

My objection to the term would be that it is a bit vague, essentially being synonymous with atheism plus some vague ethical and pro-science sentiments. I've seen all kinds of people, from Objectivists to Marxists, self-describe as humanists.

I read the definition on wikipedia (didn't know) and I thought, how could I not be that. Sounds about right to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2014, 09:44 AM
(24-03-2014 11:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  regarding humanism, I don't hold human life to be sacred. I'm against anti-abortion laws, I'm pro death penalty, I'm pro euthanasia. I'm not sure if this means I disqualify as a humanist???

same here.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
25-03-2014, 09:20 PM
From what I know about it, I agree with what it stands for. Referring to myself as a secular humanist, however, feels limiting because it's just another label to put on me. The problem with referring to myself by such a label is that it implies that I agree with all of the tenants of secular humanism which I'm not entirely sure if I do. Back when I still half-believed in God, it was really annoying that I kept saying I was Christian, but I had to make so many amendments to what I believed (no hell, Bible is God-inspired not God-written, etc. until I reached atheism) that it started seeming pointless to label myself as anything. The thing I like about the label of atheist is that it has no implications outside of the "I don't believe in God" thing. Anything more than that, count me out.
25-03-2014, 11:13 PM
(25-03-2014 09:44 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 11:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  regarding humanism, I don't hold human life to be sacred. I'm against anti-abortion laws, I'm pro death penalty, I'm pro euthanasia. I'm not sure if this means I disqualify as a humanist???

same here.

I don't know if there is an 'official' Humanist stance on the death penalty, but if there is I imagine that it would be in opposition to it. If only because it a waste of resources, it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and the fallibility of of our judiciary systems.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
26-03-2014, 03:19 AM
(25-03-2014 11:13 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 09:44 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  same here.

I don't know if there is an 'official' Humanist stance on the death penalty, but if there is I imagine that it would be in opposition to it. If only because it a waste of resources, it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and the fallibility of of our judiciary systems.

That is more of a utilitarian stance than a humanist one. Granted both would be against the death penalty, the former because there is no reason for it other than "Lawl vengeance" the latter because of the high proportion of misfires.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense