Poll: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
Yes, I'm a secular humanist
I agree with what it stands for, but I don't think of myself as a secular humanist
No, I disagree with what secular humanism stands for
I don't know
Other
[Show Results]

Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
04-08-2014, 11:45 AM
RE: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
So it seems many agree with secular humanism. Yet as a brand it is nowhere nearly as popular as "atheist" and "skeptic". Perhaps I'm daft, but I find this very confusing.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Re: RE: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
(04-08-2014 11:45 AM)Loki Wrote:  So it seems many agree with secular humanism. Yet as a brand it is nowhere nearly as popular as "atheist" and "skeptic". Perhaps I'm daft, but I find this very confusing.

Because for years there's already been a secular humanist grouping of people... But a lot of secular humanist groups aren't atheists or skeptics. A lot of them contain new age/spiritual beliefs and that's why distinctions have occoured.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-08-2014, 05:32 PM
On branding, firstly the name is too long. Secondly, the definition is too hard to get across.
Atheist: No belief in a god or gods. Probably good anyway (interesting! engaging! surprising!).
Skeptic: Believes all ideas must be open to critical, evidence-based analysis... especially one's own long-held beliefs (countercultural!)
Secular Humanist: May or may not be a theist, so has to hang around a lot of deluded people either way. Believes humans have to solve their own problems (don't we all? how does it differentiate itself from mainstream society? wait? so you're atheists then?).

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
04-08-2014, 05:41 PM
I think I will just be human and a human.

All that other stuff is just too much. No one is 'one size fits all' when it comes to labels.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
04-08-2014, 06:48 PM
I do not know what secular humanists are exactly. I never really looked into the definition of what they are really.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
05-08-2014, 12:54 PM
(04-08-2014 03:28 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Because for years there's already been a secular humanist grouping of people... But a lot of secular humanist groups aren't atheists or skeptics. A lot of them contain new age/spiritual beliefs and that's why distinctions have occoured.

(04-08-2014 05:32 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Secular Humanist: May or may not be a theist, so has to hang around a lot of deluded people either way. Believes humans have to solve their own problems (don't we all? how does it differentiate itself from mainstream society? wait? so you're atheists then?).

I'd assume secular humanists are atheists, it's in their definition after all. But I guess it is right that they might not necessarily be skeptics (the majority of atheists generally for sure aren't skeptics). So that is a good point.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
05-08-2014, 01:24 PM
(05-08-2014 12:54 PM)Loki Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 03:28 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Because for years there's already been a secular humanist grouping of people... But a lot of secular humanist groups aren't atheists or skeptics. A lot of them contain new age/spiritual beliefs and that's why distinctions have occoured.

(04-08-2014 05:32 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Secular Humanist: May or may not be a theist, so has to hang around a lot of deluded people either way. Believes humans have to solve their own problems (don't we all? how does it differentiate itself from mainstream society? wait? so you're atheists then?).

I'd assume secular humanists are atheists, it's in their definition after all. But I guess it is right that they might not necessarily be skeptics (the majority of atheists generally for sure aren't skeptics). So that is a good point.

Your assumption is incorrect because secularism is not atheism. One can be a theist and a secularist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Re: RE: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
(05-08-2014 12:54 PM)Loki Wrote:  

That's simply not the case. There's multiple uses of the term humanist.

There's the, not believing anyone but mankind gives humanity it's purpose humanists... But humanism also can stand for a desire of equal rights, as a better term for the unliked feminism.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-08-2014, 03:24 PM
(05-08-2014 01:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 12:54 PM)Loki Wrote:  I'd assume secular humanists are atheists, it's in their definition after all. But I guess it is right that they might not necessarily be skeptics (the majority of atheists generally for sure aren't skeptics). So that is a good point.

Your assumption is incorrect because secularism is not atheism. One can be a theist and a secularist.

But secular humanists, at least from their own descriptions, are not just political secularists, but also philosophical naturalists.

06-08-2014, 04:13 PM
(06-08-2014 03:24 PM)Loki Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 01:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your assumption is incorrect because secularism is not atheism. One can be a theist and a secularist.

But secular humanists, at least from their own descriptions, are not just political secularists, but also philosophical naturalists.

OK, I misread your post. Yes, secular humanism embraces naturalism.

However, you need to provide some support for your statement "the majority of atheists generally for sure aren't skeptics". Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post