Poll: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
Yes, I'm a secular humanist
I agree with what it stands for, but I don't think of myself as a secular humanist
No, I disagree with what secular humanism stands for
I don't know
Other
[Show Results]

Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
07-08-2014, 03:18 PM
RE: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
(02-09-2013 03:12 PM)Loki Wrote:  
(27-08-2013 02:23 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes. I don't see it as much of a vague term because it's just a matter of stating morals or human value comes from humanity and not higher power or opposed to influence by divinity claims.

But aren't atheists per definition then secular humanists? Atheists per definition don't believe morality comes from gods (since they don't believe in gods), and then what's left but morality from humans?

Some here say that secularism is just a notion pertaining to division of church and state without any moral connotation. Then, humanism is a particular moral philosophy. I suppose it means that our values come from our 'humanity' whatever that means.

On the other hand, some say that secularism denotes the valuing of intellectual freedom and goes back to Greek ideas that morality involved common sense, pleasure and friendship, as in Epicureanism. I would say that Christianity, as a morality, is simply a product of Greek ideas like Epicureanism but without so much of the emphasis on pleasure. its morality is based on the idea that god is the 'logos' which I read as reason or knowledge and that this then leads to the golden rule and then the various moral teachings contained in the parables. The rest of the NT, to me is irrelevant chaff which is included to tell a story for political reasons and can be ignored. Much of the moral teachings can be ignored as well because they stem from the circumstances of the day and 2000 year old notions of what is reasonable. In that sense, I only take one thing of value out of the NT and that is that it is an attempt to found a reason based morality against the backdrop of orthodox Judaism of the day and Roman paganism.

I don't think atheism means secular humanism. I don't see a huge amount of evidence in a lot of posts on the forum of some people even having much idea of ethics at all, given the abusive language and nastiness that I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2014, 08:18 AM
(03-09-2013 09:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Hmm, I guess so, which is rather ironic consider I'm by definition a sociopath.
However my views are probably a little more grim than "humans are capable of forming ethics and morals without religion".
IMO, humans are inherently selfish creatures. In fact I think all living organisms are inherently selfish. Why? Because the sole purpose of life is to survive and reproduce. Survival is by far the strongest human emotion. Even religious people cannot deny that they don't wanna die..
Religious people may be more accepting of death because of the little web of lies they've spun themselves but they're not willing to throw the die (pun intended) on their little belief system (their gamble being that God and heaven exists) until they absolutely have too...
People will do almost anything to survive. ie: That guy that cut of his arm when he fell down a canyon. There's literally dozens if not hundreds of survival stories of that nature.
How this relates to morals is that it's part of primitive survival. Cooperation is how humans survive. We're not bears, we're not big hairy creatures (Girly excluded) with claws and sharp teeth. We're fragile ape-like creatures with a large brain and thumbs. A small group of cave men could gather more food, they could take care of each other, they could breed, they could do more tasks (ie: one person make a fire, one person hunt etc..). How this relates to morals is that it would be unwise to than slit everyone's throats while they slept. Not because your knife was made out of a stone and it'd take you ages with chance of screaming and everyone waking up, but because those very people help you survive. It's mutually beneficial.
This is where I believe our "morals" come from at their base core. They're human created for sure, but for our own selfish survival.
These evolved over time. ie: It's wrong to steal. This would have come about for the same reason it's frowned upon now, that you need some form of security to know your stuff is okay. You need to know that if you leave the cave to go hunt for a sabre tooth tiger or something that some douche bags not gonna come in and steal your TV.

tl;dr:
All our morals some way or a rather came about due to people's need for survival.

This.
08-08-2014, 09:22 AM
The wording of the 'no' response made me pick other. I am not a humanist, but I cannot say that I wholesale disagree with all secular humanist values so I couldn't pick the 'no' option in the poll.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2014, 03:14 AM
(06-08-2014 04:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 03:24 PM)Loki Wrote:  But secular humanists, at least from their own descriptions, are not just political secularists, but also philosophical naturalists.

OK, I misread your post. Yes, secular humanism embraces naturalism.

However, you need to provide some support for your statement "the majority of atheists generally for sure aren't skeptics". Drinking Beverage

The majority of atheists globlally live in places such as China and Vietnam. Many Buddhists are also atheists. Yet in China and Vietnam, alternative medicine is very popular, and Buddhism embraces various woo beliefs.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
09-08-2014, 03:38 AM
(09-08-2014 03:14 AM)Loki Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 04:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  OK, I misread your post. Yes, secular humanism embraces naturalism.

However, you need to provide some support for your statement "the majority of atheists generally for sure aren't skeptics". Drinking Beverage

The majority of atheists globlally live in places such as China and Vietnam. Many Buddhists are also atheists. Yet in China and Vietnam, alternative medicine is very popular, and Buddhism embraces various woo beliefs.

But any true skeptic would be very wary of accepting (let alone making) such blanket assertions, sans any cited supporting statistics or evidence. Drinking Beverage

Or maybe you just don't like sugar in your porridge? Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
11-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Okay, what makes you think most atheists are skeptics then?

i grew up in a largely non-religious country. Religion is not an issue for most people here. And most people here are certainly not skeptics.

For what it's worth, non-religious people are roughly as likely as religious people to believe in the paranormal.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
[+] 2 users Like Loki's post
16-08-2014, 08:52 AM
When I was a kid I referred to myself as a humanist. I don't know where I heard the term but it seems to sum up my beliefs. There was no god in my world and I figured the most important thing in all existence was human beings. This was the pre internet days(no info at our fingertips) and nobody around me knew what the fuck I was talking about. I'm not sure I knew. All I know is most people would look at me like I was nuts.
This question is difficult for me. I do think that we need to be good to each other but is that all it means to be a humanist? Can I be a humanist and cynical? Am I too selfish to be a humanist?
I have no answers. Only questions.
All I can say for sure is I try to live as well as I can while not fucking over others. And I expect the same from everybody else...
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
16-08-2014, 11:00 PM
(11-08-2014 02:11 PM)Loki Wrote:  Okay, what makes you think most atheists are skeptics then?

I just wanted to second this question. There is no reason whatsoever to assume most atheists are skeptics.
16-08-2014, 11:29 PM
I agree with the principles stated in the IHEU's Amsterdam Declaration, and I'm a current member of the local humanist association, so I'm definitely a secular humanist.
18-11-2014, 04:19 PM
(08-08-2014 09:22 AM)Michael Colton Wrote:  The wording of the 'no' response made me pick other. I am not a humanist, but I cannot say that I wholesale disagree with all secular humanist values so I couldn't pick the 'no' option in the poll.

What was wrong with #2 then?