Poll: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
Yes, I'm a secular humanist
I agree with what it stands for, but I don't think of myself as a secular humanist
No, I disagree with what secular humanism stands for
I don't know
Other
[Show Results]

Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
18-11-2014, 08:50 PM
RE: Do you consider yourself a secular humanist?
Secular imperialist. Close enough.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Human morality comes from the evolution of our minds that have slowly changed over a very long period of time to give us a greater chance of survivablilty, but through the evolution of ethics as well which is dependent on a plethora of factors.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
25-02-2016, 03:29 AM
Just to revive an old thread..........on the differences between naturalism, humanism and atheism, i came across this, which i think makes quite a lot of sense.

[Image: 24623817213_712cf62e30_c.jpg]

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
25-02-2016, 01:23 PM
(27-08-2013 02:15 PM)Loki Wrote:  A lot of atheists do, but a lot of atheists don't, from what I gather. Where do you stand?

My objection to the term would be that it is a bit vague, essentially being synonymous with atheism plus some vague ethical and pro-science sentiments. I've seen all kinds of people, from Objectivists to Marxists, self-describe as humanists.

No. From what I have read about it there is much to agree with but my sense is that in many ways it is a secularized version of the morality of sacrifice. I sense it has collectivist elements and I am opposed to both. I consider myself an Objectivist and that's it.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
25-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Voting never seems to work from my phone. Ah well.

I like humanist principles, but I do not restrict those values to human creatures. This distinction is important when considering nonhuman minds that nevertheless may feel, reason, aspire, fear, project, predict, and so on. The easy example is any extraterrestrial life we may someday meet. More controversial are advanced nonhuman terrestrial minds, like whales, elephants, and dolphins (not an exhaustive list). AI minds may someday be appropriate subjects of "humanist" considerations. Human minds altered in ways that cross traditional human boundaries, such as by adding electronic hardware or moving the mind into an inorganic substrate, should also be seen as people worthy of concern.

This makes me a transhumanist according to the vocabulary I'm familiar with. I will keep the "secular" label though. :-)
25-02-2016, 04:31 PM
(25-02-2016 01:23 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(27-08-2013 02:15 PM)Loki Wrote:  A lot of atheists do, but a lot of atheists don't, from what I gather. Where do you stand?

My objection to the term would be that it is a bit vague, essentially being synonymous with atheism plus some vague ethical and pro-science sentiments. I've seen all kinds of people, from Objectivists to Marxists, self-describe as humanists.

No. From what I have read about it there is much to agree with but my sense is that in many ways it is a secularized version of the morality of sacrifice. I sense it has collectivist elements and I am opposed to both. I consider myself an Objectivist and that's it.

I'm curious as to whose definition/description you are objecting. Consider

I am certainly a secular humanist by any reasonable definition of those words. I don't subscribe to any "official" version, if such exists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2016, 04:52 PM
I had enjoyed these few threads of that Loki guy that popped in and out over long ages of time, wonder if now that this was brought up he would return again someday. Though he seemed quite awkward in his attempts to reach a conclusion of some sort.

Ah look at me bringing up Raliens in an old post, I feel so nostalgic. Smartass

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-02-2016, 04:59 PM
More like a secular nihilist.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Half of the time I don't even feel like I'm one of those... whatchamacallits... humans.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
25-02-2016, 05:30 PM
(25-02-2016 04:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-02-2016 01:23 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  No. From what I have read about it there is much to agree with but my sense is that in many ways it is a secularized version of the morality of sacrifice. I sense it has collectivist elements and I am opposed to both. I consider myself an Objectivist and that's it.

I'm curious as to whose definition/description you are objecting. Consider

I am certainly a secular humanist by any reasonable definition of those words. I don't subscribe to any "official" version, if such exists.

It's just the sense I get from them. As I said, I've not really looked into it. I could be wrong but that is the impression I get, that most secular humanists are leftists. Is this impression wrong?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick