Do you do anything religiously?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Do you do anything religiously?
Having intellectually been an atheist for a few months now, I find I would confidently identify as a Humanist. Part of how I put my beliefs into action is to give blood every couple of months. I've done this as often as possible, and I'm on my way to my three gallon donor pin!

I do this religiously, I guess you could say. I also see it as fulfilling my duty to my fellow human beings, and thus it's an expression of humanist philosophy, as I understand it.

Do you have things you do "religiously", and/or that express your belief system?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FreeThinker1994's post
07-09-2015, 09:21 PM
RE: Do you do anything religiously?
I obsess over Gwyneth Paltrow religiously. She's my sweet everything! Heart

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2015, 09:27 PM
I rail on religion religiously.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
07-09-2015, 09:28 PM
I practice yoga religiously Wink
07-09-2015, 09:39 PM
I have a bowl of noodles whenever I work nights at work.

When his noodly goodness slims down my throat I know that we are truly blessed.

[Image: oscar.png]
07-09-2015, 09:46 PM
There's a lot of things I do religiously. Exercise almost daily, study foreign languages for a couple hours every night, Krav Maga, hit the range to hone my gun fighting techniques, but that express my belief system? I guess if you consider what I believe to be my role in society to be my belief system, then all these things count in a way.

'Murican Canadian
07-09-2015, 09:51 PM
I blaspheme religiously.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
07-09-2015, 09:52 PM
(07-09-2015 09:18 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  Having intellectually been an atheist for a few months now, I find I would confidently identify as a Humanist. Part of how I put my beliefs into action is to give blood every couple of months. I've done this as often as possible, and I'm on my way to my three gallon donor pin!

I do this religiously, I guess you could say. I also see it as fulfilling my duty to my fellow human beings, and thus it's an expression of humanist philosophy, as I understand it.

Do you have things you do "religiously", and/or that express your belief system?

When the band Genesis released their first album, they called it From Genesis to Revelation. It was a poor seller because it got placed in all the religious bins in record stores. They had inadvertently categorised their progressive rock record as a religious album.

My question to the OP is why the need to categorise yourself? I put Secular Humanist in my title as a joke really. I just don't believe in gods. But I am not a member of any Secular groups. If you don't believe in gods, that is all that matters.

If you feel the need to join a group of some kind you can check here.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
08-09-2015, 05:31 AM
Religiously I practice music daily, which involves acknowledging my flaws as measured against an unachievable standard of perfection and working doggedly at improving them. I spread the good news about music to as many people as I can. I read, study, and memorize my scores like a Christian is supposed to do with scripture.

Now, if you define religiously as how many religious people act in real life, my eating habits would be a closer match. Periods of wild abandon (peanut butter cups!!) followed by shame and the promise to do better (broccoli), followed by backsliding and more wild abandon, followed eventually by steady-state, fuckitthen-fueled hypocrisy (peanut butter cups strategically hidden around the house, broccoli on display in the fridge, never making it to the dinner table).
08-09-2015, 05:35 AM
I masturbate religiously.
[+] 6 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post