Do you do anything religiously?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2015, 05:53 AM
RE: Do you do anything religiously?
I always thought doing something "religiously" meant you become a fanatic about something -- when other fanatics are watching.................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2015, 07:01 AM
If you do something religiously, you do it ​regularly: He ​visits his ​mother religiously every ​week.

(Definition of religiously from the Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary & Thesaurus Cambridge University Press)

It's just a figure of speech....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-09-2015, 08:30 AM
(08-09-2015 07:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  If you do something religiously, you do it ​regularly: He ​visits his ​mother religiously every ​week.

(Definition of religiously from the Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary & Thesaurus Cambridge University Press)

Making "religious" and "regular" as synonyms is a bad idea.

There's nothing regular about delusional thinking....

(does the "wink" help?)

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Although it is indeed a figure of speech, it is a figure I choose not to use. I don't do anything religiously. I do some things regularly, and some things fanatically. But I do not feel compelled to do a thing if reasons come up against it. E.g. I shower nearly every day, but if the water heater breaks down I don't feel compelled to check into a hotel so I can get my shower for the day. And I'm sure that if you got sick you'd skip your blood donation and wait until you were well again.

Insisting on using the adjective "religiously" kind of sounds like clinging to a shred of your old belief system. The use of "religiously" as a figure of speech to denote "regularly, without fail" is a tacit acknowledgement of the unreasoning inflexibility of religion. I strive to avoid inflexibility.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post
08-09-2015, 08:47 AM
(08-09-2015 08:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 07:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  If you do something religiously, you do it ​regularly: He ​visits his ​mother religiously every ​week.

Making "religious" and "regular" as synonyms is a bad idea.

(does the "wink" help?)

Wink

But isn't that kind of semantics? If someone told me they religiously ate Fruity Pebbles every day for breakfast, I wouldn't think they meant they prayed to the God of Post on an alter built of sugary goodness. Tongue
08-09-2015, 08:59 AM
(08-09-2015 08:47 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 08:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Making "religious" and "regular" as synonyms is a bad idea.

(does the "wink" help?)

Wink

But isn't that kind of semantics? If someone told me they religiously ate Fruity Pebbles every day for breakfast, I wouldn't think they meant they prayed to the God of Post on an alter built of sugary goodness. Tongue
Why not??

It's as likely to work as praying to any other deity...

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-09-2015, 09:00 AM
I frequent the TTA forum religiously [Image: RLGvoAe.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
08-09-2015, 09:02 AM
One of the appeals of religion that I DO understand is the whole thing of ritual, or repetition. I can see how people find it comforting to say the rosaries, for example. I don't have a lot of ritual in my life, or things I do the SAME way every single time, except changing the strings on my guitars. It's ritualistic in the sense that it's a chance to clean all the dirt and crud off and polish them up, so there's quite literally a ritual "cleansing" that happens. It's also a chance to really inspect the instruments, see if any problems are developing, make any adjustments, etc. Then when the new strings are on I play a few songs and the guitar always feels rejuvenated. I'm not a person who's overly pragmatic or process-oriented in life. I'm more spontaneous in my approach to problem-solving. But changing guitar strings, and the general upkeep of my guitars is something I'm very regimented about. Unlike "religious" rituals though, there is clear benefit to this type of routine, the instruments perform better which enhances my enjoyment of them.
08-09-2015, 09:53 AM
I floss my teeth religiously. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
08-09-2015, 02:39 PM
(08-09-2015 05:35 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I masturbate religiously.

Beat me to it! Or beat yourself to it? Oh never mind. . . Weeping

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post